Author Topic: I broke down and ordered a "foobie".  (Read 2303 times)

3rdrail

I broke down and ordered a "foobie".
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »
The current issue of N Scale Railroading contains a photo of a Yesteryear Models "fantasy" reefer for "Tom Cat Lemons". I showed this to my wife, who said "that looks like one of our daughter's cats, J.C." and suggested I order one. Since Chulvis doesn't handle the line, ordered it direct. Neat looking car, even if a "foobie"

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: I broke down and ordered a "foobie".
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »
I have in the past gotten one color of each of the line of fruit cars , but that batch of 3 different types didn't look like a fruit label to me , so I haven't ordered these so far . Hey 3rdrail , you gettin' soft lately ? Last week a Key brass loco , now a foobie , both appeared to be untouchables before . Glad to see the open heart for the sake of fun .  ;D

Ok , you got me thinking about the fun part . So to keep the series going , I ordered 1 color of each .

YYM31016-03  N Scale Tom Cat Red Reefer ( I also liked the red car on this set )
YYM31015-02  N Scale Schooner Green Reefer
YYM31014-02  N Scale Longhorn Green Reefer 

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:14:47 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »
Once Tom got done with it we wouldn't be able to see his mug for all the weathering , aging , and graffiti .

Richie Dost

bsoplinger

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »
I'll admit I'm a sucker for those old style billboard reefers.

I'm just not enough of a sucker to be paying close to 30 bucks a pop (with shipping) for them.

But I do like how they look.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:39:31 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »
Everyone is allowed a couple. 

I bought the Virginia and Massachusetts cars because the GF is from the former and I from the latter.

At some point, I will buy a few Christmas cars so that we can have a Christmas Train.

If MT ever does a Warner Brothers train, the GF will have to have two complete sets as well as fifty Tweety Bird boxcars.

Then, there are some of the schemes on the MDC and Athearn nineteenth century equipment...................................

Hey, it is supposed to be fun, and the GF likes some of the trains (such as Christmas and the nineteenth century) for its 'cutesy factor'.

randgust

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »
You are allowed to have some fun.  Just hide it when the rivet counters arrive.

When I was just a teenager, one of my railroading buddies and I made a great 'tongue in cheek' car.  A New York, Ontario & Western modernized boxcar, with a giant six-foot O&W herald, with a Santa-Fe script style "FUTURE Shock Control', a salute to Alvin Toffler's book.  O&W couldn't afford it, but they'd get to it someday!

I've got MR Boxcars, the cardstock NMRA Bulliten reefer, MT State cars, a handpainted "Carpenters" (What says '70's more than THAT??' logo Recycled Record Service car,  and a couple fictional model railroad cars sprinkled in the all-prototype consists.   On the store window layout, there's a custom painted tank car with the company logo and a "Red Ink Removal Service Only" lettering.   And a company-logo paper service boxcar with "Boilerplate Service" on the door.