Author Topic: intermountain railroad models reviews  (Read 2410 times)

railbuilderdave

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
intermountain railroad models reviews
« on: February 21, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
I wanted to know what people thought of the intermountain railroad models since I purchased a few on-line at eBay today at a great price (compared to the price on their web site).
rbDHD
============================

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: intermountain railroad models reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »
If
you got a bargain price on models you wanted, congratulations.  Inermountain freight cars are generally excellent but quality control on locomotives can be hit-miss...
Support fine modeling

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:52:15 PM »
I have mostly kits that I assembled, but I've bought several 2-bay covered hoppers and 6 tank cars (factory mold broke - no longer available). They're all very nicely assembled IMO.

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »
I have about 350 or so Intermountain cars. They're great! By far, the majority of my IM cars are covered hoppers... I love the etched walkways and other very fine details like separate grab irons. I won't buy a covered hopper without etched walkways. It also doesn't hurt that they make the cylindrical covered hopper, a car as a Canadian modeler, I simply can not live without.

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
Glad to hear it because I just got 3 boxcars for $30 on eBay.  I can't wait to get them and start to build them.
rbDHD

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
Glad to hear it because I just got 3 boxcars for $30 on eBay.  I can't wait to get them and start to build them.
rbDHD

This is HO, right?  IM is great in HO but they have some assembly QC problems in N.  I was just admiring a hopper that I'm about to weather when I noticed that the brake wheel looks melted.

Walkercolt

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »
I understand they've discontinued the kits. :'( I liked the kits alot(I loved the old Micro-Trains kits). Some of IM locomotives have had poor assembly. Globs of glue and so on, but they've improved things quite a bit. You gotta ride herd on your Chinese workers to keep the quality up(actually, the broker you're working with). Very strange to do business in China...you hardly ever know who actually will be doing the work...that's up to your "business broker". I know two brothers who are US-China "go-betweens". They kinda explained it to me...I think you've got to be Chinese-Americans to understand it, with the cultural differences and all. ???

NA Tower

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
I want to give praise to IM on their 60' flat cars. They track so well for their weight and I think its one of the best modern flatcars we have on the market right now. I also have about 50-60 IM hoppers, and I wouldn't choose anyone elses. But like everyone else is saying, their engines can be hit or miss.

Thanx

Rob

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »
I understand they've discontinued the kits. :'( I liked the kits alot(I loved the old Micro-Trains kits). Some of IM locomotives have had poor assembly. Globs of glue and so on, but they've improved things quite a bit. You gotta ride herd on your Chinese workers to keep the quality up(actually, the broker you're working with). Very strange to do business in China...you hardly ever know who actually will be doing the work...that's up to your "business broker". I know two brothers who are US-China "go-betweens". They kinda explained it to me...I think you've got to be Chinese-Americans to understand it, with the cultural differences and all. ???

Not true at all...

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 04:37:51 PM »

Not true at all...

Ok I'll bit, what's not true at all?

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 06:37:28 PM »
I really like the intermountain models I have I have about 17 of the pullman standard covered hoppers and several cylindrical covered hoppers. I also got a few of their 40' boxcars and 3 of the new 60' flats they are all excellent models o yeah and about a dozen 3-bay ACF's of theirs. As far as locomotives I only have 1 B&O F3A and it is pretty good. I'm going to get a Conrail and EL sd45-2 when those come out. But they are all really good models other than their kinda to bright yellow Chessie paint. :o

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I have a few of their modern boxcars. They are great but a bit pricy... $17. They do have etched parts but other then that there is nothing to differentiate them from Athearn or Trainman. Their Trainity hoppers are wonderfull.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »
I have a few of their modern boxcars. They are great but a bit pricy... $17. They do have etched parts but other then that there is nothing to differentiate them from Athearn or Trainman. Their Trainity hoppers are wonderfull.

I guess I got a good deal then 3 for $32 shipping included.
rbDHD