Author Topic: Titchy Train models  (Read 2295 times)

railbuilderdave

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Titchy Train models
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »
I was thinking of doing some bidding on model kits from Titchy Train and wanted to know if they are any good or should I stay away from them.  Anyone have thoughts on these models?
rbDHD
============================

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
Re: Titchy Train models
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »
They're all pretty nice, are you looking at the structures or rolling stock?

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
Oh, yeah, I'm looking at the rolling stock they sell.
rbDHD
============================

bsoplinger

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
They make an injection molded drop bottom composite gon that's ok. I think most folks feel the intermountain offering looks much nicer, considering it has real wood bits, but it was twice the price. Not sure if that's still true based on the latest prices.

They have a beet gon that I don't think anyone else makes but it isn't in my time frame so I've never seen one in person.

The steam crane is a decent model and is close to a number of different rr models, not sure if its an exact match to any. The tender they make for the crane is acceptable, I think its generic vs any specific prototype.

The crew and work cars are very acceptable as an old boxcar modified for MOW use. You could make a more unique model by converting a boxcar yourself but the Titchy kits have the advantage of just glueing together and they're done ;)

fieromike

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »
I was thinking of doing some bidding on model kits from Titchy Train and wanted to know if they are any good or should I stay away from them.  Anyone have thoughts on these models?
rbDHD
The Tichy n scale kits are ex Dimi-Trains kits.  You supply trucks and couplers on the rolling stock, they supply the very nice castings to build up into some nice stuff.  The coal tender that is usually seen with the rotary plow is usually a very rare item that commands a premium at auction.  I have the mow cars and crane waiting for the track to park them on...

Mike

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »
rbDHD
The Tichy n scale kits are ex Dimi-Trains kits.  You supply trucks and couplers on the rolling stock, they supply the very nice castings to build up into some nice stuff.  The coal tender that is usually seen with the rotary plow is usually a very rare item that commands a premium at auction.  I have the mow cars and crane waiting for the track to park them on...

Mike

Careful not to get sucked into any Dimi-Trains bidding wars. Before Tichy bought the Dimi-Trains tooling, the "out of production" Dimi-Trains kits were fetching outrageous prices, particularly the MOW items. Some of the early Dimi-Trains kits also used to include Atlas trucks with Rapido couplers; not sure if the Tichy kits do now. The snow plow tender kit is actually a Rivarossi loco tender with a coal bunker cover add-on. These are truly rare.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
Over 100
beet cars later.  I like Dimi/Tichy cars just fine...
Support fine modeling

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
Guys,

The Dimi-Trains cars are - or were- the Tichy cars.  Don Tichy tooled them for Dimi years ago - when Dimi disappeared, Don started to market them under his own name.

The "composite gon" Tichy/Dimi-Trains makes is the same as the beet gon - the only difference is the extended height sides on the beet gons.

The Intermountain gondola is a model of an as-built USRA composite gon - a completely different car.

Intermountain was selling assembled and decorated versions of the Tichy gondolas so you can find a Tichy gon asssembled and painted in an InterMountain box.

Clear as mud??
Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »
Just in case no one knew. You can order direct from Tichy:
http://www.tichytraingroup.com/

I have done it many times.

RDG_Rich

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »
I can't say anything about their rolling stock models, but their window and door castings are great,

and I am working on their water tower kit, it is a very nice model.

The base still reads "Dimi Trains"...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »