Author Topic: 2011 N Scale Product Of The Year  (Read 3890 times)

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
Re: 2011 N Scale Product Of The Year
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »
The FVM Hiawatha should probably win.  New loco / wheel arrangement with matching passenger consist with nice details and painting. 

My vote is for the FVM wagontops since I know for sure they came out this year.  The BLMA ACF gondolas were also well done and I have several of these.

Scott

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
IM SD40-2W. Road specific power for one of my two roads.

If the Bluford offset hopper was a 2011 model, that would have won... they are such wonderful cars.

Special mention to Hays Bros for the gravel loads they make for those offset hoppers, lov'em, and they fit the Athearn cars, too.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »

Special mention to Hays Bros for the gravel loads they make for those offset hoppers, lov'em

that reminds me

i need to order some more
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
Another addition to the list: Didn't Kato's City of Los Angeles come out in 2011? Heard a lot of good things about that one, but won't be picking one up for another month or two.

Jim

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
That long list needs to be brought up next time someone posts an N scale is dying thread.

Being a Milwaukee Road modeler I have to say that the FVM Hiawatha certainly tops my list though I love heavyweight passenger cars so the MT and hopefully the Bachmann (if available individually) are right up there.  I picked up the Atlas Middlesex Mfg yesterday and see it as great bashing fodder.

It's a great time to be in N scale.

Happy New Year!
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
MT's heavyweight parlor and observation car, along with the 10-1-2 sleeper, have really helped N a lot... not a fan of paired window coaches, though the MT car is the best heavyweight ever done (non-brass) in N.

ESM's boxcars are really great additions to the N-scale market.

And the Hiawatha... a bold move that I hope has really paid off for them... a perfect example of what can be done with a specific train for a less popular line and a possibly less popular era (really am not sure what the current era interests are in N).

Kato's taking some bold steps as well and I hope that this continues.  And Rapido... this line is going to grow and have some really great stuff coming out... all we have to do is wait... I am sure we will see some really great items yet being released.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »
 :|          As a "Passenger Train" nut (fanzee) I would rate the FVM Hiawatha as model (models) of the year followed a distaint second by Kato's City Of Los Angeles, then their new Amfleet,Amquack and Penn Central passenger sets. For single cars all of MTL's new heavyweights and the Wheels -O-Time baggage cars.              For freight cars the FVM Milwaukee Rib Side box car and the more recient Wagon Top car would be on my list.  For locomites(not in train sets) all of the Bachmann small GE diesels with DCC 44 T & 70 T ,also their USRA Light 2-10-2 locomotive. Finally for Traction, a very small catagory the Bachmann Peter Witt street car.              Nate Goodman (Nato).Salt Lake, Utah. "Happy News Year!" naw "Snooze Years!" Na "Whatever".

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »
That long list needs to be brought up next time someone posts an N scale is dying thread.

Bingo!

I have relatively narrow interests at the moment, and no overriding need to add much equipment, so I don't hang on the monthly announcements. But to listen to some, you would think N is being strangled off by a gang of indifferent manufacturers.

Glad to see reality says otherwise.

Jim

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
The Hiawatha, BLMA Spines and Reefers are tied in my book...
 :D

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
 ;) I am delighted with the MTL heavy weight passenger cars!!

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:13 AM »
MTL Heavyweights and Eastern Seaboard Models Magor/PC&F 40' Insulated/Heated Boxcars in Canadian Pacific Roman and Script.....beautiful..... :o

Honourable Mention to FVM's Hiawatha, don't own one but got a chance to run one and that's a beauty too....

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Bachmann 4-6-0 was released in Jan 2011. That has my vote. Can't beat its price/performance/detail ratio.

BLMA spine cars are a close second.

Kato Amfleet cars are third, but would have moved up on the list of they came in Phase III.

Honorable mentions to the BLMA ACF gon, Trainworks trailers and Bachmann NE cab
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 11:05:37 PM »
While I don't own one, I'd have to say the Silhouette Cutter.