Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 4067 times)

RockandRail

Re: Did you know?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
joe shouldn't have said "exact match".  he should have said "good match."   making a GP60 out of parts that are not GP60 requires one to deal with generalities.   "exact" in that context was the word he used to describe a good fit.   i got that.   maybe it comes down to his poor use of terms, rather than a reflection on his professional reputation.

claiming "exact-ness" in this forum would have been a mistake, with so many experts around.  i'm sure joe knows the difference.  but it's a pilot model -- a concept.  if MTL ever does make a GP60 it will be open season for critical examination.  that would be the time, if necessary, to question someone's professional ability and qualifications.

just for infomation:  one reason i got away from narrow gauge modeling, as my focus, was because everything had been done before -- so well -- so techically perfect -- that there was not room to model and have fun.   if you weren't prepared to make a museum quality piece -- you just didn't try because everyone would remind you that you got the wrong thread size on the grab iron bolt.   who needs that, especially starting out? 

i'm having fun again, because in primitive Z scale there all kinds of room to explore, try, test, and enjoy.   NO ONE in Z (including joe) thinks they're stuff is dead on exact -- but we're having fun trying, and at that (fun) we are succeeding.   

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 10:56:09 AM »
Great points, Dave F.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »

i don't think joe is pretending at all to speak with technical clarity, or as a representative of MTL, and it's unfair to interpret his work on the GP60 as such.  He's only attempting to model a facsimilie of a favored locomotive to search out the possibilities.   it's kind of like picasso with a pen in his hand -- i don't think he intended to create a work of art every single time;  don't you think sometimes he might have just meant to doodle first.

dave

Quote from: Joe D'Amato
Easy really since the shell of the SD40-2 is an exact match for the 60.

This isn't confusing at all, and the statement clearly says what it was meant to say.  "Exact match" is pretty hard to spin later.

Nor is "all the vents and doors line up" using drawings...  it's like he's trying to sell ndec SD40-2 shells...

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 05:47:56 PM »
Nor is "all the vents and doors line up" using drawings...  it's like he's trying to sell ndec SD40-2 shells...

which is his job! :) wait till next month to see his C30-7 Kitbash from a SD40-2, GP9 & MT N Scale Roofwalks!
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...