Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 4066 times)

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Did you know?
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:43:02 PM »
That an SD40-2 bodyshell matches a GP60 bodyshell...

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=96252

My lip is entirely way too bloody right now from biting it...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5519
Re: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:52:48 PM »
Not so scary if it wasn't for who said that and what they do for a living  ;D

nscalesteve

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
well, the back part is very close, same doors, and it is Z scale so what...   ;)
...but yeah, it's Joe from MTL  ??? ::)

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:58:45 PM »
well, the back part is very close, same doors, and it is Z scale so what...   ;)
...but yeah, it's Joe from MTL  ??? ::)

Same doors... I don't think so Tim...

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »
They are a exact match except.... oh yeah, EVERYTHING!  ;D
(well I guess they both have three radiator fans, different fans but still three)
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

RockandRail

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »
i know you have technical drawings and this is your specialty, robbman, but to try to make something in Z scale that doesn't yet exist will never yield a perfect result, until the manufacturer claims to have made such.   

i count 10 doors of similar configuration from the end of the air filter section to the beginning of the radiator fan section -- on both engines.  i count seven door of similar configuration under the radiator/fan section.  grills are different and fans are different, but the basic layout seems very similar.

there is a marked difference in the air filter sections (behind the cab) of both locomotive types.   that's where some more work might be done.   but in attempting to apply what limited parts he has available to approach a general outline, i think joe has succeeded well.   it looks MORE like a GP60 than anything else.

maybe one day we'll get an exact Z scale GP60 with all the rivets, but even then the N scale manufacturers can't apparantly make a GP40-2 that is actually correct, as you've pointed out elsewhere.

i don't think joe is pretending at all to speak with technical clarity, or as a representative of MTL, and it's unfair to interpret his work on the GP60 as such.  He's only attempting to model a facsimilie of a favored locomotive to search out the possibilities.   it's kind of like picasso with a pen in his hand -- i don't think he intended to create a work of art every single time;  don't you think sometimes he might have just meant to doodle first.

dave
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:58:23 PM by RockandRail »

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:08:47 AM »
I don't mind kitbashing with what you have and living with the compromises... it's the fact that he's insistant that an SD40-2 matches a GP60 based on drawings... which is flat out not true.

As an aside... not exactly a fair comparison on the the Atlas GP40-2... that was made just over a decade ago... not today.

nscalesteve

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:32:29 AM »
Same doors... I don't think so Tim...

same amount of doors Rob... 

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:59 AM »
But not in the same spots, and definately don't line up with an SD40-2s doors, like he's saying...

Say what you want... but if I worked in product design for a company that was getting ready to introduce a new model as undecs, used it in a kitbash, and then said that I had drawings and everytihng lined up and was an exact match, when it clearly wasn't and you knew it... how would you feel?

nscalesteve

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 02:17:24 AM »
... how would you feel?

like a dork... ?

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 03:24:23 AM »
I guess I'll just have to provide you with false information next time you come calling... apparently it Ok with you...

nscalesteve

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 03:33:46 AM »
I guess I'll just have to provide you with false information next time you come calling... apparently it Ok with you...

I guess you are missunderstanding me...
...no no, I did missunderstand you very well !   ;)

if I worked in product design for a company that was getting ready to introduce a new model as undecs, used it in a kitbash, and then said that I had drawings and everytihng lined up and was an exact match, when it clearly wasn't and you knew it... I would feel like a dork...

better ?

and btw, other people do not have to know that I ask you for information about engines...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:37:07 AM by Steve4 »

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 01:15:23 AM »
Not a big deal... at least they'll know that you're getting the best info available, that's it'll be as close to correct as possible... thus making your proudct that much more vauluable.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 02:08:19 AM »
Well, what did we expect? This is a guy who works for a company who's president doesn't know the difference between an intermodal well car and a depressed-center flat (the stupid happens at about 1min 27sec):

/>
Maybe it's just the corporate culture out there in "Talent", OR...  ::)
Sean

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 09:08:53 AM »

i don't think joe is pretending at all to speak with technical clarity, or as a representative of MTL, and it's unfair to interpret his work on the GP60 as such.  He's only attempting to model a facsimilie of a favored locomotive to search out the possibilities.   it's kind of like picasso with a pen in his hand -- i don't think he intended to create a work of art every single time;  don't you think sometimes he might have just meant to doodle first.

dave

Quote from: Joe D'Amato
Easy really since the shell of the SD40-2 is an exact match for the 60.

This isn't confusing at all, and the statement clearly says what it was meant to say.  "Exact match" is pretty hard to spin later.