Author Topic: Plug for BLMA etched metal grade crossing kits.  (Read 1272 times)

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
Plug for BLMA etched metal grade crossing kits.
« on: February 17, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »
Just finished upgrading a grade crossing on the UPRR Rochelle Sub. I used BLMA's concrete grade crossing kit which is made from etched metal. The grade originally had just styrene sheet. The metal etchings were easily glued on top of the existing styrene, although I did need to file down the thickness of the styrene on the outside of the rails a bit so that the crossing was flush to the rails. I also replaced the crosbucks with NJI crossing gates. I still plan to paint R & R on the road leading up to the crossing and weather the crossing a bit.

I found the BLMA kit easy to use and am happy with the results. This crossing is on a very slightly curved track. The kit will not work on most curved track as there is no method I am aware of to curve the metal kit to match the tracks. I was going to use the kits on the third picture bleow, but had to use wood insteal, due to the curve of the track. The first and third pictures are after and before pictures of the same grade crossing.

Daryl