Author Topic: What do you think guys?  (Read 7276 times)

Walkercolt

Re: What do you think guys?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 01:22:46 AM »
I work part-time at a real brick and mortar train shop...N-scale exclusively(except for the HO and On30 we special order, and some Large Scale). We've got spin racks with Cal-Freight and Sunrise and BLMA detail parts. They don't fly out the door. N-scale is like 1/144th plastic modeling....most people don't see the need for details that can't be seen without bi-focals or magnifiers. Yeah, I know 1/350 photo-etch for ships sell like crazy, but those guys are a different breed anyway. They may spend a year or more on one model. HO is like 1/72 scale plastics. Detail parts abound and sell like hotcakes. Photo-etch for 1/48 and 1/35 scale armor and resin parts and turned metal barrels, etc. ad infinitum, gosh you can litereally spend more on detail parts than the kit costs, and the guys are tickeled to death it's available. Thank God we don't do plastic cars...those guys are dog nuts. Buy a $80 quart of real automotive paint to paint their model with, and most aren't that accurate to scale anyway. Detail parts in N-scale are a limited market, at best, and as the RTR model improve, the market gets more limited. BLMA, and TrainCat and others are providing you with detail parts at extreamly low prices, and S&H (priority mail) costs about the same from 1/4 ounce to 16 ounces. By the way, on S&H, you should know that corrigated shipping boxes have over tripled in price over the past two years. We can't absorb it, nor can anybody else, so expect to pay $5.25 S&H on your order, so we can put it in a free US Postal Service priority mail box to send to you. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for a $1.00(or more)for a box to ship it in, plus whatever kind of shipping you want. We recycle packing peanuts, but they cost money too, so does bubble wrap, and packaging tape and gas to go to the post office. We pay shipping from the maker or a distributor, that's money we don't make. When we try and give 20% off retail, that cuts into our profit. Heat, lights, water, telephone, rent, taxes on inventory...we'd make more running a Chinese take-out resturant, so would Chuck. I'm not asking you to kiss our feet, just understand what the LHS, e-tailer, and especially the "cottage" manufacterors go thru. They could make more money casting pewter dragons...

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2008, 03:11:49 AM »
Interesting thread.  I too am grateful for what is being produced by the likes of BLMA, Train Cat (does that name mean something?) MLE (or that name?), and Gold Medal.  Since all of these companies are effectively one-man operations, it is prudent to assume they won't be around forever and to support them while we can.

I have recently been on a binge upgrading a bunch of the Walthers Thrall double stacks with (wonderful) Gold Medal details and I noticed that the artwork for those etches dates back to 1994/5, but they're thankfully still in production.  So I guess we should encourage all these guys to make money serving ship modelers (like Gold Medal does), but to keep feeding us for the "love" of it.   :-*

The real reason for my post, however, is to suggest a new product for Russ@MLE (or any one): replacement walkways and hand grabs for the Kato Maxi-IV's.  (I highly recommend Russ' hitches to those of you who "dig" intermodal.)

-Gary

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »
Detail parts in N-scale are a limited market, at best, and as the RTR model improve, the market gets more limited.

If this is the case then I better better forsake N scale for HO, as the odds of seeing a lot of N&W style RTR are pretty slim.

And so should all the others that model roads that other ideas about horns, hoods and whatnot.  ;)

True, N scale parts are a limited market. However, if you are going to offer N scale parts you should at least supply the basics. An example for me of one of the essential items for many roads is the horn. It is quickly visible to all but the legally blind.

I'm not buying into the "dumbing down" of N scale yet, but someone somehow needs to keep pushing the boundaries in the N scale detail arena. BLMA in particular seems to be committed to this and perhaps they (he) will be one(s) to make it happen. As long as the detail parts availability languishes in N scale, N scale will continue be an underachiever.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »
As Promised ...

Upgrade your Atlas 50ft Stockcar or the new 50ft Single Door XM Boxcar. Included in the upgrade kit are the Roof walk with handrails, Grabs, Stirrups, Cut Levers and a Brake Wheel.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
Looking good Bob!!,
Reckon that's the way to go, everything needed on a sprue - excellent 8)