Author Topic: Layout Design Critique  (Read 1379 times)

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Layout Design Critique
« on: February 03, 2008, 06:16:19 PM »
Well, it's sort of a layout....

Dimensions are approximately 3' x 8'.  Curves have easements and are super-elevated.   Minimum radius on the Visible Main is 20", going down to 15" behind the curved backdrop.  Within the yard, they go down to 10", but only on the tracks going into the facility; all AutoRacks will only be seen on 18"+ radius track.  Turnouts are #7 except, again, the ones going into the facility which are #5.  I may even put #10 on the mainline access, but they're not in RightTrack yet.

This would be one level of a multi-level layout at some point in the future.  The left side exits out to a helix, the right side I had thought would just be staging beneath this level, but my want for a freeway underpass here has made that a little difficult.  So for now the right exit is a bit hazy.  Temporarily there would just be temporary extensions on the ends.

It looks like double-track main here, but it's actually single.  The other track is actually the switch lead and/or pick-up/drop-off track.  it will utilize a bit of the helix on the left to increase the lead length and may or may not go behind the backdrop on the right for the same reason (though there'd rarely be much reason for long cuts on that side of the yard).  It will go under the underpass on the right though at the least.

The light-gray blob on the left is an Interstate underpass that will run the width of the layout.  It goes under a large bridge that supports a number of tracks as well as a small plant utility access road.  Then there's a bit of 'daylight' before the freeway dissapears again, this time under a 'bridge' (more of a 'tunnel' I think) that supports a large building.   Though this is rare in reality, I did it for a couple of reasons -- it hides the hard edge between the freeway and the backdrop, but it also helps unify the whole facility by bringing the buildings closer together and not seperated by a chasm.  I want it to be obvious that this is a single large facility not a collection of smaller ones.  The 3 main buildings will also be connected by large overhead passageways (not pictured for clarity's sake).  On the left, the large building on the left, combined with the passageway between the 2 buildings will make it impossible to see the trains 'dissapear' into the helix.

The green areas won't necessarily be grass, I just chose the color for aesthetics sake.  The large green expanse on the front left side will probably feature a block or two of urban-blighted scenery.  I do envision the green area around the main building to be nicely manicured grass though.  Probably housing a Ford-monogrammed modern water tower.

On the right-side, the light-gray area is an overpass.  Here the mainline is on a down-grade, though it won't be very noticeable before it disappears under the overpass.  It will continue around and under/inside the main building.  By going under the main building I can slightly decrease the grade since I don't have to worry about being sub-grade after just 90-degrees.  The switch lead on this side may or may not dissapear behind the same backdrop.  Not sure on that yet.

The two stub tracks in the center are of course used for Autorack loading.  It should fit approximately 2 Auto-Max and 3 Autoracks (or some combination) at a time.

I welcome criticism, comments, etc.  This is my first real go at layout design.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 06:20:14 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Layout Design Critique
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
A switcher-roo with room for a canoe ! . Looks like you can only switch 1 , 2 at the most at a time . Will this be a modern layout ?

Richie Dost

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
It'd only be 1 switcher.  And, yes, it's Modern.
-Mark

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:31:52 AM »
You don't really mention what the purpose is of the track that cuts from left to right, crossing the two leads into the auto plant. I personally love complex trackwork and switching, but it looks like in this setting, the real railroad would have probably just located a switch in the spot I marked with an X in the diagram below:

If you're worried about not having enough room to cram a switch into that spot without moving other switches and sacrificing radius size on the leads into the auto plant, you can always trim down your turnouts. When I built my switching layout, I realized you can shave a little more than an inch off the length of an Atlas C55 #5 without impacting its usability.
Sean