Author Topic: BLMA bridge 'on sale' in Walthers  (Read 8774 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
Re: BLMA bridge 'on sale' in Walthers
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 12:10:57 AM »
I agree that it's a lot of money... but it sure is sweet looking in that new photo!  My only regret is that I don't have a natural spot for it on the planned layout.  Might have to change my plans, and when Craig gets rich, he can by us beer!

;)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 01:22:49 AM »
You guys are gonna make Martyn rich! If I could make brass beer, would
you buy it for 25.00 a can?

These will not even come close to making him rich. The profit margins on Model Railroad items are pretty much just enough to cover your overhead. Myself and other dealers here can attest to that. Same thing on Craig's end.

I gladly spend about $30-$45 for a tree from Sterling Models for my layout because it is quality, and yes you are paying for labor. I use them for super detailed, focused scenes... the same reason this bridge is made. But then again if you want to blow $225 on everyone of your bridges, thats your choice too...a bit nutty, but still if you have money to burn! ;D :P
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 03:17:18 AM »
Wow there is a lot to catch up on here...

First and foremost, this hobby is what each individual makes it.  While I appreciate all viewpoints, this product, like many of our other products, is aimed at those who appreciate ultra-fine scale fidelity.  For others, the plastic bridges on the market are just fine...

This is not a huge-markup item; however, nothing in this industry really fits that label.  Being that this is BLMA's first all-brass project, we've had to overcome a learning curve, and future projects may vary in price.

We're extremely excited to get this product on the market.  As with any extremely detailed model, the photos simply don't do it justice.  I've uploaded another file for everyones viewing pleasure that exemplifies the extremely accurate detail on this bridge:

http://www.blmamodels.com/images/misc/5000-10.JPG

Once available, I would love to have our bridge compared to any others on the market if the price seems too good to be true.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 05:36:53 AM by Craig Martyn »
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 05:47:29 AM »
We're extremely excited to get this product on the market.  As with any extremely detailed model, the photos simply don't do it justice.  I've uploaded another file for everyones viewing pleasure that exemplifies the extremely accurate detail on this bridge:

It would be my honor to have our bridge compared to any others on the market if the price seems too good to be true.

Damn Craig, you even have the rivets on the bottom of the bridge.

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »
There is no plastic bridge on the market that captures that lattice work on the steel structure of the bridge.  You can pull it off in plastic in HO but not in N-scale.  Craig's bridge keeps on getting better every time I see another picture of it.   

My locomotives go through a lot of detailing before I put them on the layout.  They are basically rolling BLMA ads lately.  My scenery is also highly detailed right down to mailboxes, manhole covers etc....  To have a bridge like this in the scene and really have nothing to do to it makes it worth the price to me.  There aren't one-size-fits-all products in N-scale.  Everybody is different and has different goals.  For myself and others here, the bridge has its place in the N-scale market and I am grateful to Craig for continuing to produce quality products that fit super-detailers needs. 

Scott
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5444
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »
In my new job I do steel detail drawings...  Your model is beyond realistic.  At $180, or even at regular list, it's well worth the money for adding a great focal point to a model railroad scene.  Suddenly I'm looking at my double truss bridge on the Thomas Sub, and wondering if it couldn't look a little better....

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

railbuilderdave

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 08:30:29 AM »
Craig,
Hats off to a nice job BLMA Models did on this bridge model. I must say it looks as if a large amount of time has been spent on it to get the great details the model has.  This back and forth of is it worth it or not all I can say is I hope there are enough buyers out there to keep BLMA Models making this fine product and others like the ones on the web site.  I also hope there is enough profit to do more R&D of new products with such fine detail.  I may not buy this bridge right now since I don’t have a layout but if I need a bridge I would want one with such details.
Just remember everyone has opinions just as we all have ____.
Dave D
============================

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »
I agree the Atlas truss is a little kiddie, what about the Kato, that's not a bad bridge, if you
don't mind the odd colors and repaint and weather it.

Nope, still not there*...keep trying... :)

*too Japanesey

About the best you can do in plastic is the Walthers kit, which is double-track (although I hear there are some assembly issues):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walthers-N-Double-Track-Truss-Bridge-Kit-933-3242_W0QQitemZ180178167007QQihZ008QQcategoryZ152917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can also waste a whole lot of money on a whole lot of junk (not sure how this person sleeps at night--he's actually sold a bunch of these):

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-SCALE-TRAIN-DOUBLE-TRUSS-HIGH-BRIDGE-STONE-PIERS_W0QQitemZ190192537723QQihZ009QQcategoryZ486QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

..or even this abomination:

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-SCALE-TRAIN-TRUSS-HIGH-LOW-BRIDGE-WITH-STONE-PIERS_W0QQitemZ190186490627QQihZ009QQcategoryZ486QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:23:33 AM by David K. Smith »

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »

Well, I guess you are assuming your time is worthless then.

if everything comes down to "time = money" than i think you are missing a fundamental aspect of the hobby.  you better contract out sleeping,  it must be costing you a fortune!

i'd hate to get a bill from my dad for the Saturday we spent together...

-steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
Hey Craig,
  Just keep up the great work your doing. The "TRUE" modellers appreciate your products.

if you were a "TRUE" modeler, wouldn't you make your own?

so much for craftsmen.

-steve

and for the record, that is a stunning bridge - i didn't realize it was assembled for that price - well worth it IMO, and i prefer to build everything.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:14:58 AM by asciibaron »
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »
Although I don't agree with Chuck Geiger's view about the BLMA Bridge/Price, I agree with his statement that everybody has the right to his own opinion.
I don't understand modelers either who pay for a fantasy paint scheme on a freight car hundreds of dollars just because somebody said it is a collectors item.
At least with a hand assembled item you still have some value even if the collectors guild finally decides the fantasy is so overrated.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5444
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »
I wouldn't use the Kato double track bridge, it is way to Japanesey.  But I did use a pair of the single trusses, with pleasing results.

However, with this scene being a focal point on my layout, I think it would be well worth the upgrade.  I'm also at a stage in my work where I can re-allocate some budget to make room for such an expense.  I've pretty much gotten my locomotive fleet together, I'm purchased my DCC system, and until a lot of other work gets done around the house, the track inventory doesn't need any major additions. 

I still have to watch myself due to general family finances, so it won't be happening tomorrow, but I can see myself picking up a couple of nice bridges in the future.

What I really need is a deck truss (a series of them, really...)  And there's several very nice examples laying across the Potomac River that can be accessed and measured without the threat of an oncoming train, thanks to our mangey little kitty friend...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »

Well, I guess you are assuming your time is worthless then.

if everything comes down to "time = money" than i think you are missing a fundamental aspect of the hobby.  you better contract out sleeping,  it must be costing you a fortune!

i'd hate to get a bill from my dad for the Saturday we spent together...

-steve

You've proved my point PRECISELY.  Sleeping and spending time with your family are more basic needs that are a high priority in life...that time is what you call PRICELESS.  Hobbies are still important (read "free therapy") but depending on your values probably would be less of a priority.  Lower priority items compete for your time.  If you don't have a value (money, or ranking them 1-5, or whatever) associated with them, you cannot prioritize them.

If you have the time (I love it when retired guys jump into these discussions) that's GREAT.  More power to you.  You may indeed truly have no idea why someone wouldn't want to spend four weeks solid scratchbuilding a bridge.  Heck, I'm working on one of the Walthers doubletrack bridges right now and I've spent a lot of time on it to make it as good as I can....I have more time than I do money right now.  But I've been on the other side of it...working all hours, dealing with wife and kid and house and not thinking of model railroading for weeks at a time, much less having that golden 15 minutes a night to do anything.  Then, Craig's bridge might be looking real good right about now.

BTW, to me, sleeping is worth HUNDREDS of dollars an hour.  I would have to really be rich to farm that out.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

gunner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »
I can not believe that we ooh and ahh when someone spends dozens of hours hyper detailing a scene, car or locomotive or compliment a person for the same effort; then say that it costs too much for another person to produce for sale the same or better for a price.

Craig has spent his time develping the plans, interfacing with manufacturers, researching and providing production updates, assembling and painting something for the market.  If you can not afford the price, I'm sorry; If you can do as good or better I'm happy for you; but if you do not have the time to do something like this, do not have the skills to make it yourself and desire the detail and want the product have at it!

While I'm not in the market for this particular product, I appreciate the value of Craigs time, money and devotion in sharing his passion with us.  I am also thankful that we get to see the evolution of a project from conception to finished product.

Keep up the good work!

Bob

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2008, 10:57:04 AM »
I can not believe that we ooh and ahh when someone spends dozens of hours hyper detailing a scene, car or locomotive or compliment a person for the same effort; then say that it costs too much for another person to produce for sale the same or better for a price.

Boy, have you hit a button hard. I can't count how many times I or a friend have been approached at shows by people looking to buy our scratchbuilt models. "I'll give you fifty bucks." Then they respond with disbelief--even sometimes wrath--when we carefully explain that they probably could not afford it, given the massive investment of our time in the work, and that a fair selling price is certainly not $50--and that's if we wanted to sell. "But I can buy a brand new one from XYZ company for twenty bucks. Why do you want a thousand for yours? Are you out of your mind?" We ask why we should practically give our blood and sweat away to them. "Well you've gotten your pleasure out of building it. What do you need all that money for?" By this time there is no point in taking the conversation any further. They have no concept of the value of time, or the difference between someone's handcrafted work and a mass-produced product, and why there would be such a huge difference in value. Oy.

...I appreciate the value of Craigs time, money and devotion in sharing his passion with us.

Ditto.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:01:11 AM by David K. Smith »