Author Topic: Springfield report  (Read 6724 times)

bsoplinger

Re: Springfield report
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »
I didn't get a chance to go this year, but I've always chatting with Funaro & Camerlengo at the Prototype Modelers Meet the first weekend of June every year in CT. He's been looking into doing N for 3 years now. In fact 2 years ago I was told to look in the Fall for the first release. It was so busy at Springfield last year I didn't bother chatting then but asked this past summer what had happened. Just life and good sales of their HO items kept him from releasing the milk car kit. So hopefully he'll get around to it. I gave him my vote for PRR X58 (and LV, PC others) boxcars.

conrail6055

• Crew
  • Conrail - Moving the freight in 2008
  • Respect: 0
    • Conrail Historical Society, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »
Indeed... Saturday was better for us as well. Sales on that day were 300% more as opposed to Sunday for us. I don't think there were anywhere near as many people in attendance on Day 2 either.

~Kris
Kristopher M Klemick, President
Conrail Historical Society, Inc
http://www.TheCRHS.org
Former Conrail T&E Employee

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »
I would have to put a vote in for an X58 also from Funaro & Camerlengo or anyone else who would produce it.  This was such a common car on the PRR/PC/CR.  Railyard Models produces them in HO, but they want I think 30 or 40 a car, and they need painted and assembled.  I know a die hard 1968 PRR guy in HO, and he won't buy them.  Too much money for the work involved.  I have eight Conrail X58 "stand-ins" I decelled back in the mid nineties.  They are the old MRC/Con Cor 50' rib side plug door boxcars.  The most glaring problem with them is the roof.  It has rectangular panels, while the prototype has diagonal panels.  The door is 11' wide, and the prototype is 10' 6".  I still think my cars look good though.  Maybe some day. 

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »
As far as Funaro & Camerlengo goes.  I shot them an email yesterday encouraging them to offer their 1932 ARA Standard boxcar and a Fowler single sheathed boxcar in N scale.  I figure even if we don't see our recommendations offered, maybe they'll at least produce something in N scale if enough N scalers show an interest.

Erik

3rdrail

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
I hope Funaro & Camerlango does one of these in N:

The photo is of an ancient And-Kon kit, which is crude and out of scale. The H30 was also used by the N&W and is a very distinctive early covered hopper.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 04:43:44 PM »
At least there has been no duct tape evident on the IM's...

wait a minute, ok not from the ouside but all of my six D&RGW Tunnelmotors did have black duct tape on the drive to prevent the shell from falling off the drive (which by the way did not help at all...)

I stand corrected. Red Green has found a new employer after the closing of Possum Lodge, it would seem...

I prefer Kato, but I'd take Atlas.

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »
I hope Funaro & Camerlango does one of these in N:

The photo is of an ancient And-Kon kit, which is crude and out of scale. The H30 was also used by the N&W and is a very distinctive early covered hopper.

That would be a nice one to see in N.  Here's F&Cs HO offering.

Erik

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2100
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
I want one of those as well , and a half a hump yard worth of many of their others .

Richie Dost

bsoplinger

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 05:06:55 PM »
F&C has a ton of HO offerings I'd be interested in. From the wrong way LV boxcars in about a dozen variants (murphy creco standard doors various ends and roofs) to the battleship gon the Virginian (I think I have the right road) used to a bunch of nice PRR items including a well flat car and the one of's like the huge cylindrical or covered hopper not to mention the B&O wagon top boxcars and covered hopper (another 1 of I think). Eastern roads are pretty well represented in their offerings.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »
I have a feeling I should just sign up for automatic shipments of everything F&C makes in N scale  :D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2100
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
Here is a site that shows photos of what they did in HO without having to click to view .
http://www.bcenterpriseinc.com/kits.htm

My 2 faves are the Dunsmore Hopper , Chris did one the hard way .
http://www.bcenterpriseinc.com/kits/2fc6780l.jpg

And that super long PRR covered hopper .
http://www.willyma.bizland.com/2fc2091.jpg  .
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:28:22 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2412
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »
Eric you have a great layout - Kempenski and Danneman eat your heart out! (btw) Bernie is the man
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:24:42 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 05:25:45 PM »
One of the main reasons I model the mid '50s is because of the lack of uniformity in your typical consist.  I too would most likely buy anything F & C offered.  I like building, painting and detailing rolling stock anyway.  I have built many Fine N Scale kits.  I think resin kits would definitely fill a niche in the N scale market that isn’t being addressed by injection molded kits.

Erik
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:27:32 PM by Erik W »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »

That would be a nice one to see in N.  Here's F&Cs HO offering.

Erik

I'd buy at least one. Somewhere I have a pic of an N&W version (HC-2) in the early 1970s in the "hamburger" scheme.

Here's one from '65:

Mark
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:08:22 PM by NandW »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 07:13:32 AM »
FandC is getting the masters from a different supplier, so the offerings may be a bit different in N scale. The above menyiond hopper WAS the one he indicated would eventually see N production. There will also a a D&H and VGN prototype boxcars as well. I'm in the same boat as you, I'll probably just sign up for auto shipments of new N releases. With my transition era B&M equiptment expanding (I just picked up a USRA 0-6-0 and BM BL2), I can build any era equiptment.

About the glue and IM thing. The SD45-2 do not use glue or tape to hold the shell on the chassis. Glue was only used to attach the radiator grills and fans and the cab to the shell (since the cab is a multi-part peice anyway). This isn't all bad and the windows remove easilly. So if you purchase the correct phase engine, repainting should not be a big deal. At least they strip better then Kato.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away