Author Topic: Springfield report  (Read 6714 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
Springfield report
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:12:41 AM »
Athearn:
 40 ribbed trailers, UPS style drop trailers. Huskystacks will not use densified plastics... damn. Oh more Deere and fire stuff too...

Atlas:
C40-8 in multiple versions. C40-8W a done deal as well

Atlas Trainman:
GP15-1 will be in only one phase... luckily it will be the one Conrail purchased. A year or so out. The GP15 will feature a metal fuel tank as part of the chassis. All details are molded onto the shell and the handrails are part of the walkway like on the GP7/9.

Atlas Masterprice Auto:
These are somewhat of a joint venture between Busch and Atlas. Each company acts as an importer of the line. They are coming in N. Cory was unsure what will be included in the N line... lets see some Dodges and Step Vans!

Con-Cor:
Electroliner will be next. They believe they will have enough orders for an N scale version.

DeLuxe:
I annoyed them for about an hour on Sunday. 5-pack of containers will be announced next month; stay tuned for more multi-pack options. The 53' exterior post container was on display. It will be a different prototype then Kato's. A 53' container chassis was pre-announced. These will hopefully hit shelves within a year. We talked about expanding the trailer line, which has seen a lot of sales.

Digitrax:
The DZ125 and DZ125IN decoders were on display. These are about half the size of a dime and twice as thick. COOL! They also said to look for new more ergonomic equipment coming out later this year. 'Bout time.

Funaro & Camerlengo:
First release in their N-scale resin kit line will be a Borden's milk tank. These were later used in chemical service right into the mid 1970's. A VGN boxcar and a D&H box will follow this. Masters are already underway. The cars will come with appropriate decals. For those unfamiliar with the company, they produce a very nice HO line of resin kits comparable to Westerfield. Check them out at www.fandckits.com.

IM:
FP7, FP9, FL9, U18B SD40-2 are confirmed. I got a chance to play with the CR SD45-2. VERY good paint on this model. The CR sample featured the louvers and fuel tank correct for the EL units. Lots of neat stuff coming from this company, and I can't wait to see some SD40-2s!

IM also showed a milk car and ATSF stock cars in two versions.

Kato:
Daylight GS4 will have full cab interior. Very nice for under $200 MSRP. No CR NW2a, but PRR is on the short list. Don’t expect to see many more F40PHs, they aren’t selling.

Micro-Trains:
The 3 dome tank is smaller then other 3 domes in n-scale. It is very nice. Expect three new cars, two being boxcars this year.

River Point Station:
2008 Ford F450 SD in supercab and hi-rail. Expect the Edge sometime next year. And YES this is in N-scale!

Sylvan:
N vehicle line is very slow. Don’t expect many more additions. They WILL be doing the ALF 700 series pumpers YAY!

Traincat:
Nice bridges that will find their way to my layout. He will be doing the offset truss in Worcester, MA. Sure to go well with the Worcester Union Station kit.

The show:
This year was a lot larger then previous years. A forth building was added and I believe attendance was up quite a bit as well. More manufactures are joining and it was great meeting them. The quality of the displays has improved and N-scale was EVERYWHERE! Neal’s, Tucker’s, and TexNRails were all there with great prices (about $60 for new release Atlas).

Ntrak’s Winterfest was a lot of fun, but I didn’t bring trains to operate. The layout ran much more smoothly then previous years and we now had a two-track version as well.

This show is quickly becoming the premier train show in the nation. We were also told the 2009 national train show will be in Hartford CT on July 12.

Photos will be posted Monday afternoon.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
Re: Springfield report
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »
Funaro & Camerlengo doing N ! Oh this is super news . Prototypical correct unique freight . Now if Westerfield would do N scale too .

Richie Dost

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »
IM:
SD40-2 are confirmed.
HA!  That's a good one.  One thing to ponder here is the same crew that likes to announce things years in advance are the ones once again making the announcements, as opposed to the industry insiders formerly employed at IM, who thought it was a bad idea to announce projects before any work was started on them.  Food for thought . . .

Erik

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 10:20:50 AM »

IM:
 SD40-2 are confirmed..... and I can't wait to see some SD40-2s!

That's just wonderful. So now, instead of screwing up modern diesels that were somewhat niche players like Tunnel Motors and 45-2s, they can botch something that EVERYBODY needs...in about 2015.
Sean

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:32 AM »
Erik, it wasn't an official anouncment, but they said they had started working on it. As to how far along is a totally different question. IM has had a good track reccord of getting their anouncments done... eventually. Better then PCM or even DeLuxe in some cases. With the flats hitting the market the same time as the equally long awaited SD45-2s, it does appear they are clearing the pipeline.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »
I hope Atlas decided to jump on the SD40-2 anyway ...

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »

Ditto, I`m not thrilled about IM doing such an important locomotive in my era and my roadname..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »

Ditto, I`m not thrilled about IM doing such an important locomotive in my era and my roadname..

Amen to that.

But at least we'll all here probably be 6' under by the time they release them. It's more the issue with now it scares anyone else off of them.

I wonder how Kato is gonna react to that. Or are they gonna just keep on doin what they're doin and ignoring what goes on over on this side of the Pacific?

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »
Ed, Kato did those CR SD80MAC's... not for you're era, but com'on. They just ignore most of what goes on here.

IM SD40-Glue's.. sigh. First Athearn F's up the SD70I and SD75I and now IM annouces glue blobs on HTC trucks. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but alas, they seem to have never studied how Atlas or Kato designs locomotives to "fit" together. At least there has been no duct tape evident on the IM's...

As I've said elsewhere, if I wanted a halfassed model, I'd build it myself.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
I hope
that I have my lifetime supply of SD40-2s already.  If this was an Atlas announcement there would be dancing in the streets.  [sarcsam]Since SD40-2 has a number of distinct spotting features and IM has such a great track record for getting all the subtle details right this is the best thing that could ever happen for the hobby as a whole.[/sarcasam]  I may be wrong but, I seem to recall some debate regarding the suitibility of the Atlas trucks that IM uses and he determination was that they were not useful.

Hopefully IM takes this underwhelming response to heart and either cancels the project or greatly improves thier design and quality...
Support fine modeling

conrail6055

• Crew
  • Conrail - Moving the freight in 2008
  • Respect: 0
    • Conrail Historical Society, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »

This year was a lot larger then previous years. A forth building was added and I believe attendance was up quite a bit as well.

If my records are correct, attendance was down from last year! I have 20,799 listed as the 2-day attendance number announced at the conclusion of the show on Sunday evening 2007. The number given this year was only 20,673. Yeah, I know... "only"...lol! I did notice a major drop off in both sales and attendance on Sunday as opposed to Saturday this year.
Kristopher M Klemick, President
Conrail Historical Society, Inc
http://www.TheCRHS.org
Former Conrail T&E Employee

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1232
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »
Funaro & Camerlengo:
First release in their N-scale resin kit line will be a Borden's milk tank. These were later used in chemical service right into the mid 1970's. A VGN boxcar and a D&H box will follow this. Masters are already underway. The cars will come with appropriate decals. For those unfamiliar with the company, they produce a very nice HO line of resin kits comparable to Westerfield. Check them out at www.fandckits.com.

Whoa.  Didn't see that coming . . . . . however.  F&C would come to one of the Atlanta shows every year awhile back.  I was browsing their table when Steve, ever the huckster, begins talking me up about spending some money on these great deals he was hawking.  I said "Nice kits but I model in N scale."  So he asked what I'd like to see cast in N scale.  So I gave the same answer I always give when a manufacturer asks me (let's see, I've been asked twice now  ::))what model I'd like to see produced:  The carbon black hopper.  I got a startled look in return and he mumbled something about he was thinking of a lineside shed or some such thing.  So, I guess he WAS looking into the market.  If they're steam / early diesel era freight cars I'd buy some for certain.

Steve

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 08:32:10 PM »
I've run across several posts on various sites mentioning a PRR hopper.  Anybody got any info.  Can never have enough PRR or N&W hoppers.

nscalesteve

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »
At least there has been no duct tape evident on the IM's...

wait a minute, ok not from the ouside but all of my six D&RGW Tunnelmotors did have black duct tape on the drive to prevent the shell from falling off the drive (which by the way did not help at all...)

bobcat

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »

This year was a lot larger then previous years. A forth building was added and I believe attendance was up quite a bit as well.

If my records are correct, attendance was down from last year! I have 20,799 listed as the 2-day attendance number announced at the conclusion of the show on Sunday evening 2007. The number given this year was only 20,673. Yeah, I know... "only"...lol! I did notice a major drop off in both sales and attendance on Sunday as opposed to Saturday this year.

I wasn't there on Sunday, but I did speak to a few dealers and one manufacturer at the end of the show and all told me their sales for Saturday were up over last year.