Author Topic: Thoughts on getting oil-based paint out of carpet?  (Read 3185 times)

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
Re: Thoughts on getting oil-based paint out of carpet?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Use a solvent. Blot only so it doesn't get any larger.
It may take quite a while and a lot of towels. Use white paper towels, no pattern because the ink will stain the rug too. When it looks light, try a cleaner such as Spot shot or Woolite to finish and get the solvent out.
If all else fails, a patch from the closet usually works.

Martin Myers

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
When I get soy bean oil based ink on my clothes at work it will sometime come completely out by spraying in with alcohol and rubbing.

If you have any, try using hexane instead...we get ink all the time where I work, and it's usually very soluble in hexane...
Sean

CONRAIL FAN

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 06:45:44 PM »
I used to work for an apt complex, they check for that stuff. Id say try Ardex New Wave. How big is the area
JEROME

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »
It's just some thin lines where I dripped some. So far, orange cleaner and plenty of elbow grease seems to be working ok...
Sean

ñiao

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 02:14:01 AM »
I don't know about solvent based paint, but fat stains stay fresh longer by spreading some butter on them some now and then.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 05:27:18 AM »
If the carpet's polyester, it will come out. Hard to stain the stuff because the fiber is almost perfect on its surface so nothing sticks to it. Wears like crap and has no resiliency.

Nylon's a different story. That's why they invented Stainmaster to fill the microscopic voids on its surface. Similar to teflon.  Most base grade apartment carpet doesn't have Stainmaster.

Keep rubbing. Worst thing that can happen is the stain will still be there.