Author Topic: Another BLMA Product Suggestion  (Read 2346 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Another BLMA Product Suggestion
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »
When I was at John's house on Saturday, he showed me an Atlas rerailer that he had retrofitted with c55 rail and ties.
It got me thinking.  One of the drawbacks to using a re-railer back in my c-80 days was that it rarely fit where I wanted it to both function as a re-railer, and provide the appearance of a grade crossing in a logical  place a road would cross.  You have a 5" chunk of track with a crossing in the middle.  If you are placing it in a tangle of turnouts, or in a semi-urban environment, the crossing just wouldn't seem to be where the road wanted to be.

How big a deal would it be to make a three part system that was designed to function as a re-railer, but could be snapped into place anywhere the track straightened out long enough for a road to cross?  Obviously, a slight curve would still present a problem, but since Atlas has so far decided not to include a re-railer track in its c55 series, maybe there's an opportunity here.

I've seen the simulated rubber mat crossing that Craig makes, but it's not right for a '60's/'70's railroad, and it doesn't function as a re-rail.  I'm thinking a plastic insert for between the rails, with clips to catch the Atlas tie spacing, and two approach pieces for either side.  It wouldn't have to be tapered into a ramp, I think most of us are capable of building up a paved road surface.  But it could be detailed to look like a timber grade crossing, and include the ramps at either end to catch errant rolling stock like a regular re-rail.

Maybe the scale purists would pooh pooh it's appearance, but I think some Average Joe's might be encouraged to dip their toes into the warm waters of code 55 if such a product were available.

Just a thought...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: Another BLMA Product Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »
Interesting suggestion, Lee.  Actually, I had never even thought of something like this, but it does make perfect sense.  The only difficult part would be making the product both aesthetically pleasing AND functional.  I'll have to think more about that but please keep the ideas coming!

On another note, I've been in China this past week (still here) developing numerous new products for release throughout 2008.  More information coming soon...    ;) :-X
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »
Since I did think of it, naturally there will be royalties out the bazoo once it's released... ;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:05:02 AM by Robbman »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »
dunno I always just made my own.

but these days it could be a top seller!

VGN50

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
Craig,
Maybe you should call it the leerailer.
Mark

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »
But since we have your attention Craig, how about some horns? None of this generic crap - pick a few of the more commonly used Nathan and Leslie horns and have at it.

This is a huge hole in N scale.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »
But since we have your attention Craig, how about some horns? None of this generic crap - pick a few of the more commonly used Nathan and Leslie horns and have at it.

This is a huge hole in N scale.

Second
the request for horns.  But as a lost wax brass casting to make it physically strong and paint friendly...
Support fine modeling

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
And there's a connection here... see, the engineer blows the horn at the grade crossing! 8)

Mr. Obvious
Rockin' It Old School

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 02:41:32 PM »
I'd also love to see re-railers in Code 55 as I contemplate refitting my layout with c55 from c80.  Right now I hide re-railers in grade crossings.

Wait'll you try to re-rail a Pennsy M1...  That's 14 wheels on the loco and 12 wheels for the tender.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »
And there's a connection here... see, the engineer blows the horn at the grade crossing! 8)

Mr. Obvious

I vote we promote Lee to Captain!

Mark