Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Help
Login
Register
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
PRR Allegheny Subdivision
« previous
next »
Print
Pages:
1
2
[
3
]
4
5
Go Down
Author
Topic: PRR Allegheny Subdivision (Read 12860 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Ed Kapuscinski
Global Moderator
Crew
Posts: 26106
Head Kino
Respect:
+11601
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #30 on:
January 07, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
0
Wow.
Logged
Visit:
Conrail1285.com
&
Railfanning.Kapuscinski.net
Join:
TheCRHS.org
Ian MacMillan
Global Moderator
Crew
Posts: 12034
Gender:
Learn to use the god damn search feature!
Respect:
+167
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #31 on:
January 07, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
0
I love the shots over the ridge looking into the curve with the PRR running around. I'd have to say a much better rendition of HSC than mine was. I've really liked this layout since following it over on Railroad-Line.
«
Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:53:36 PM by Ian MacMillan
»
Logged
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!
Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1
Dave V
Crew
Posts: 12266
Gender:
Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
Respect:
+11724
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #32 on:
January 07, 2009, 07:32:23 PM »
0
Oh, man... ;D
Logged
Member PRRT&HS
HOn3 RGS First District on Facebook/
N scale Colorado Midland on Facebook
Caleb Austin
Crew
Posts: 527
Gender:
Respect:
+522
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #33 on:
January 07, 2009, 08:18:46 PM »
0
I second the "wow"s! Truly awesome stuff there dude.
Logged
pbrooks
Crew
Posts: 127
Respect:
+1
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #34 on:
January 07, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
0
I hate to pile on, but WOW!
VERY nice work. You've nailed the horseshoe...
(is that a pun of some kind?)
Anyhoo, great job!
-Phil Brooks
Logged
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/pbrooks137/Model%20Portfolio/
"I GOT INTO model trains for the groupies, but STAYED IN for the huge financial rewards...
Puddington
Crew
Posts: 3874
Gender:
Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
Respect:
+247
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #35 on:
January 07, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
0
Takes a guy in Canada to "nail" Horseshoe Curve.............. and when will I see a guy from Georgia/Arkansas/Oregon/Alaska/New York or any of the other Great 50 "nail" the Spiral Tunnels of British Columbia..............? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D - "Ya all owe us one............................."
Seriously - very nice work...........eh.
Logged
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!
shark_jj
Guest
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #36 on:
January 07, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
0
Guys, thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.
Logged
Frank Amato
Crew
Posts: 1407
Gender:
Respect:
+930
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #37 on:
January 07, 2009, 10:38:59 PM »
0
Fantastic work! And thank you for sharing the "pot-topper" idea with this scenery-challenged modeler.
Frank
Logged
Chris333
Crew
Posts: 19615
Respect:
+6938
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #38 on:
January 07, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
0
I sure wish I could order the "pot topper" online...
Logged
Nato
Crew
Posts: 2302
Gender:
Respect:
+162
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #39 on:
January 08, 2009, 02:16:56 AM »
0
As a longtime Closet Pennsy Fanzee all I can say is 'Wozzers!" Shark, amazing work. Nate Goodman(Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.
Logged
shark_jj
Guest
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #40 on:
May 14, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
0
Hi all, I suspect that you think I dropped off the face of the earth. That assessment is close to accurate. I have been in the hobby now for a little over 40 years and I find that every decade or so I get into a "modellers funk" and just need to take a break. The last 8 to 10 months have been such at time. Last time this happened in 2000 I switched from HO to N scale. Since I haven't posted in the same time frame, this is going to be a little lengthy as I catch up.
I didn't leave the hobby entirely as I have been working on Justins layout and also our HO modular layout but nothing was done on the Allegheny Division. The layout was running and I did participate in a couple of open houses and from those experiences found that there were a number of things about the layout that were bugging me. Unfortunately, I couldn't put my finger on some of them and so went through a fair bit of reflection. Since this will probably be my last layout, I am fixated on doing things right even if it means tearing out what I have done and redoing it. I am also fixated on keeping it as accurate as possible given the constraints of the space that I have. I will discuss each of these decisions in a separate post.
Logged
shark_jj
Guest
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #41 on:
May 14, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »
0
Some additional research showed me that I didn't have Slope and Alto correct for my 1967 era. Track 2 should end at Slope and Alto should have the "bump out" created by the Station tracks. I decided that getting it right was more important that getting it done quickly so I have made the decision to take up these interlockings and relay them. Here is a plan and photos of the new Slope and the new Alto being put in.
«
Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:59:32 AM by shark_jj
»
Logged
shark_jj
Guest
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #42 on:
May 14, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »
0
The new Slope. I also made benchwork changes at the end which opened up the end of this aisle and added 3 feet to the Alto area.
Logged
shark_jj
Guest
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #43 on:
May 14, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »
0
The new Alto. I am not sure why these photos are so fuzzy. The ties on the track are disappearing into pixelization.
Logged
shark_jj
Guest
Re: PRR Allegheny Subdivision
«
Reply #44 on:
May 14, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
0
I also made two major changes, the first being that I realized that the third level overhung Altoona yard by too much. It was causing a viewing angle that I wasn't satisfied with. After some experimenting I decided that the upper level had to be reduced by 6 inches. Since track and everything was already in on the upper level this was a major task. Out came the saw-z-all and after a bit of work the upper level is now 6 inches narrower, dramatically opening up Altoona which with the Curve will be the centrepiece of the layout. I am much happier with this result.
Logged
Print
Pages:
1
2
[
3
]
4
5
Go Up
« previous
next »
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
PRR Allegheny Subdivision