Author Topic: PRR Eastern Region - Timonium Show  (Read 18911 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: PRR Eastern Region - Timonium Show
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »
So is Merchandise Service going down the tubes?  Or just re-focusing.  I would probably spill at least some of the beans here before the rumor mill starts cranking full tilt...  Remember, a rumor can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its boots on...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »
I have to agree with Lee .. unless this is some exclusive deal with the Keystone Modeler folks that requires absolute confidentiality, I don't understand the need for the mystery. People tear layouts down, change scales, get out of modeling, refocus all the time ... its not that big a deal .. the rumor mill can and will probably do lots of harm ..

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 08:28:22 PM »
Jerry's layout was part of what convinced me that I could do a credible PRR in N scale.  His departure from N scale hits pretty hard.  By Jerry's own accounting, his departure from N translates to 23 canceled locomotives with PCM.  He was/is a force in Pennsy N scale, doubly so since he is/was(?) a dealer.  I know he says he'll keep advocating for PRR N scale...  but without the huge shopping list for his own layout, will the manufacturers listen?

Hmmm...

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 08:31:57 PM »
Well, John tears down HIS layout all the time... lets not blur the issue... ;D

Mr. Applegate
Rockin' It Old School

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »
I thought I already posted this, but it didn't show up...

I'm keeping mum on what drove the decision until an issue is resolved.

I still recognize the great potential to do things in N that you cannot do in larger scales.

Merchandise Service will continue to champion N scale products, just as it had continued to market HO products over the past 7 years while I modeled N scale.

As for HO scale... maybe. For now I am just going to operate on the many excellent model railroads in our local operating group.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »

So PCM is turning your basement into a manufacturing plant?

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »

So PCM is turning your basement into a manufacturing plant?

Hmmmm.... interesting idea! Guess I'd have to arrange for "company houses" for Mad Max and Dave Vollmer!
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 09:39:52 PM »
Jerry,

Will you make Springfield this year ??

Nope... I have yet to make Springfield!

I will be at Timonium in February and most likely in April. Definite for PRRT&HS show in May.
Sorry I won't be at either Timonium show. Brad will be there with the PRR signal bridges. I am scheduling to be at PRRT&HS show so we should each other there.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »
Well, it turns out I will be coming to Timonium.  A friend of mine's father in law has moved this way from Omaha, and turns out he's pursuing N scale!  Maybe I can convince him to be a PRR modeler, although I'm pretty sure he's been too close to the Union Pacific for all of his life... might be a tough sell.

Either way, I'll be seeing you at the show, Jerry, not sure which day, though. 

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 10:22:01 AM »
i am on Jerry's mailing list and read about the issue with the Atlas code 55 frogs - i checked mine and damned if you weren't right.  it has only happened to 2 so far, and they both checked out fine when they were installed in September.  ugh.

i have been considering just doing N scale for "proof of concept" work and then going back to HO for the implementation.  the lack of product availability is a real problem, i'm not looking to scratch build or kitbash 100+ piggyback flats for TT3 and TT4.  in HO i can simply buy them as i need them.  i would also like to hand lay all visible trackage on the full scale implementation - i don't see that as being something enjoyable in N scale considering i'd have to use solder or adhesive - in HO i can spike them and move at a fast pace.

just grist for the mill for another who is considering his modeling future (trains not fashion).

-steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 10:28:14 AM »
frogs can't be the reason for switching scales ...  :-X

is there a new "issue" with the #5s?

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
i am on Jerry's mailing list and read about the issue with the Atlas code 55 frogs - i checked mine and damned if you weren't right.  it has only happened to 2 so far, and they both checked out fine when they were installed in September.  ugh.

i have been considering just doing N scale for "proof of concept" work and then going back to HO for the implementation.  the lack of product availability is a real problem, i'm not looking to scratch build or kitbash 100+ piggyback flats for TT3 and TT4.  in HO i can simply buy them as i need them.  i would also like to hand lay all visible trackage on the full scale implementation - i don't see that as being something enjoyable in N scale considering i'd have to use solder or adhesive - in HO i can spike them and move at a fast pace.

just grist for the mill for another who is considering his modeling future (trains not fashion).

-steve

You CAN buy all those trailer flats... you just won't have room to run them... ::)
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »
i have been considering just doing N scale for "proof of concept" work and then going back to HO for the implementation.  the lack of product availability is a real problem, i'm not looking to scratch build or kitbash 100+ piggyback flats for TT3 and TT4.  in HO i can simply buy them as i need them. 

You CAN buy all those trailer flats... you just won't have room to run them... ::)
Lee

Indeed!  Steve, your modeling era is '67, right?  So, you'll need a bunch of 85' cars (no RTR or kit that I know of in N), some 75-footers (coming soon from N Kits hopefully), plus the "channel side" 89-footers, which are available from N Kits, but I could use some RTR as well!

Frank

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »
i have been considering just doing N scale for "proof of concept" work and then going back to HO for the implementation.  the lack of product availability is a real problem, i'm not looking to scratch build or kitbash 100+ piggyback flats for TT3 and TT4.  in HO i can simply buy them as i need them.

Lee

Indeed!  Steve, your modeling era is '67, right?  So, you'll need a bunch of 85' cars (no RTR or kit that I know of in N), some 75-footers (coming soon from N Kits hopefully), plus the "channel side" 89-footers, which are available from N Kits, but I could use some RTR as well!

Frank

Ultimate makes 75 footers now:

http://www.ultimatenscale.com/n-scale-flatcars.html

inkaneer

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »
-steve

What issue with Atlas code 55 frogs?  Someone want to elaborate or do we have to play this guessing game on that also.