Author Topic: Feb 08 Model Railroader  (Read 12914 times)

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
Re: Feb 08 Model Railroader
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2008, 12:06:22 PM »
+1
there was a time it seemed RMC and MR had a kitbash or scratchbuilding article each month.  good on you Dave for jumping in to a big project like that - i have yet to do something in N scale, but i have done my share in HO - using articles from MR and RMC to guide me.  i was reading one last night on 50' REA Express reefers from 1989 - looked simple enough that i might give it a go since i need a few for my PRR Mail and Express trains.  of course the HO models used have no N scale version... such is life.

-steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »
I built a BQ-23 out of an Atlas B23-7 .. it looks like crap, but I had a fun time doing it ..

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »
I built a BQ-23 out of an Atlas B23-7 .. it looks like crap, but I had a fun time doing it ..

i've never seen a picture of one that didn't look like crap - you're safe!  8)

-steve

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »

i've never seen a picture of one that didn't look like crap - you're safe!  8)

-steve

Slow day on the public dole :) .. I am going to redo the cab one of these days .. maybe etch it out of brass ..

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2008, 01:34:34 PM »
I would like to see an editorial that makes me think or inspires me.  I mean, just lift David or Ed's blog postings and you got something 1000% better.

Thank you, Tom. I appreciate that very much.

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »

Slow day on the public dole :) .. I am going to redo the cab one of these days .. maybe etch it out of brass ..

i have been busy reading David's blog.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
I'm sure glad I'm working to support you two...  That goes double for any state employees who might be loitering around out there...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2008, 06:19:47 PM »
Like an article on lineside details that extols what exactly is available in N, and how what's not can be made, including drawings? Great idea! Or articles on rolling stock NOT available in N? Not a how to kitbash of scratchbuild, but just an article on the cars with drawings so those who wish to could take it from there (my vote goes to the P-S 2600 covered hopper as the first)? Brilliant!

This kind of information is out there Bryan but you won't find it in the national mags.  Hang with some prototype modeling types (just ignore the fact they all model in HO scale and up) and the sources will appear.  Drawings and prototype data did appear in the national hobby mags at one time.  I can't see that happening today though, with the skew towards RTR equipment and the "10 easy steps to a world class layout" mentality.

This is all written somewhat tongue in cheek, as I know the N scale mags live off of what reader-writers provide them, they don't have staff writers like MR does (or did). So (not written tongue in cheek) how about an article on how to write such an article? Like how to contact car manufacturers and railroads so drawings and info can be gathered for writing, etc. Personally, I'm itching to do an article on CSX's Baltimore Transflo facility (including basic drawings of the transload carts used) but can't seem to gain access to the site no matter who I appeal to to photograph and measure the darn things. In effect, it's an easy to model contemporary industry that accepts a wide variety of rolling stock.

My experience says outside of MR and RMC, everybody else lives hand to mouth as far as material goes.  Yes, MR does have a staff to help get the product out the door.  RMC manages with a much smaller staff.  Both mags get out there and beat the bushes for material too.  They see something they like at a meet and they work with you to get it into print.  The N scale mags have less of an ability to do that sort of thing.

Getting drawings of a current operation always was tough and is even tougher today, given competition and security concerns.  Not to say that it couldn't be done but I'm not sure I'd want to see detailed drawings and photos of the plant I work at in a hobby mag.  Nothing says you can't get industrial component info off the internet (say from a manufacturer of loading racks for a tank car loading facility) and reverse engineer from photos of your target.  We've been doing that for years.  I suspect you've done it too.

Steve

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »
The upside I that whereas I used to dream about RTR Pennsy steam in N, now I look forward to kitbash projects that I do myself.  Others may not always appreciate the work I put in (especially if they assume I just bought them RTR), but I do. 
If someone was to confuse one of my kitbashes as RTR, I would consider it a compliment on my modelling, assuming the confuser in question thinks it looks good.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »
I wonder if someone would publish my drawings of the A&EC caboose sitting in Jacksonville.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2008, 11:49:43 PM »
That goes double for any state employees who might be loitering around out there...

whistles in the corner...

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2008, 12:44:10 AM »
Well I'll show you!  I quit smoking, so there goes THAT $2 a pack!  And I can drive 15 minutes to Seaford, DE and do all my shopping with no sales tax!  HAH.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Norm P

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2008, 01:13:06 AM »
I'm sure glad I'm working to support you two...  That goes double for any state employees who might be loitering around out there...

Lee

Guilty as charged, but I do manage to somehow keep it to my off duty hours.

Norm

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2008, 09:11:58 AM »

Lee

What about us local government employees, Lee? Can I still enjoy your posts while at work, like right this very instant? Oh, nevermind, you don't come to the western shore too often..... ;D

Brian
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »
You're a fireman, Brian... That's a cool government job!

Your Favorite Tax Payer
Rockin' It Old School