Author Topic: Athearn's quiet time  (Read 4974 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Athearn's quiet time
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »
Or put the container trailers on the Mack R cabs.... Those fit the era pretty well for the late 1990's.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »
I think it's a matter of geographical perception. In Maryland, where I live, and the greater surrounding geographical area (northern VA, DC, DE, and southeastern PA) it's rare to see a R cab in motion, as in running. In the last six months I've been watching. I drive an hour each way daily to and from work, and a lot on the side, and I have seen perhaps 15 R cabs in the last half a year. Only one was a tractor (owned by a construction company), the others were all cement, dump and trash container trucks and very well worn. I saw a few other R cabs, which I did not count in this survey because they were being overgrown by weeds. Perhaps the R cabs fare better in Boston (a lot of construction going on up there with the big dig, eh) or in the roadsalt-less southern California where Athearn is based, but even the R's square headlighted replacement is not fairing so well around Baltimore and the new Granite body style is quickly picking up the slack and making up a higher percentage in the body style wars every year. The same has happened with International's 4900s and the Freightliner FL-series trucks over the last 15 years here around Baltimore. Try to model contemporary (that is today, now, 2008) Maryland and use more than one R model on your layout and it makes for an unrealistic scenario, IMHO. I'm not necessarily a rivet counter, but vehicles besides RR locos and rolling stock help build the stage setting for a layout or scene. In many cases, you can get away with older vehicles, but not as the majority of vehicles in a scene.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »
I still see a few R models, but the CH and Vision are the leading Bulldogs these days. But most of the R`s I see are pulling containers.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 12:39:06 AM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:47:29 PM by Robbman »

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing an SD70 retrofitted with GP9 fans though

Robbman, are you saying those fans would work for a late model GP9 fan swap out? Hmmm....

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:46:47 PM by Robbman »

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »
Bummer. I was hoping they'd actually be useful.