Author Topic: Just finish an N6B  (Read 2248 times)

71jeep

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Just finish an N6B
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »
Hi All ...

I am new this is a great site alot of very tallented modelers here.

I just finished a quality craft N6B kit and I thought I would share it is the first kit I have attempted in years.

And I have a question somehow I got a bottle of micro flat that is miss labled it is not flat I do not want to put another cote of paint on this model how else can dull down the paint so it will not look so shiny thanks for any suggestions.

Oh and know what you guys are thinking not another PRR modeler :P ;D

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

3rdrail

Re: Just finish an N6B
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
I'd try a can of Testor's Dullcote on it.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
Very nice 71jeep  . Thanks for sharing .

Richie Dost

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:51:38 AM »
  71, Yes very nice work. Thanks for posting the photo.                                                                  Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah. "A Closet Pennsylvania Fanzee!"

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
Welcome to the 'wire!

And here it goes:
Overall it looks really good. I'm a bit hesitant to take on wood kits like this, so you definitely have my respect.

That said, I feel that your paint looks a little thick there. Especially the black around the cupola and the oxide in the step area. It also looks like there's a little speck or two of schmutz in the area between the boards. Maybe dust or something like that.

You definitely did a good job on the decal work there too. Decals on wood cars are tough, and it looks like you really nailed it.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »
Nice job!  I haven't tried that kit yet, but it's on my list...

What did you use to seal the wood?

I think a couple of very fine oversprays of Dullcoat (very fine!) should dull it down without thickening the paint much.

In HO, nothing looks as much like wood as wood.  Duh.  But in N scale, wood grain can be overscale...  I like wood for flatcar decks and platforms in N scale where the wood grain is expected to be visible.  For painted car siding, it's a challenge.

But it looks to me like you did it very well!

And welcome aboard (there's no such thing as too many SPFs)!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »
The cupola roof looks a little cockeyed, but that's probably unnoticeable under regular viewing angles...
Nice work.

PRR guys aren't so bad... It's those Conrail guys that are always stinkin' up the place... ;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 03:30:14 PM »
Those trucks with the single spring, who makes those?

3rdrail

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
Those trucks with the single spring, who makes those?

Bowser, for its N5 and N5c cabin cars.

Greyryder

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
PRR guys aren't so bad... It's those Conrail guys that are always stinkin' up the place... ;D

71jeep

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:44:23 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys and the critasizm, as I said it is the first kit I have built in a long time and my first wood kit .I know I am not good at the painting part but with practice I hope to get better I do have four more these  ::) And I have two N5C and a whole bunch of f30d and f30a from Alan Curtis so at some point I hope to get good at this ;D

One word of advice I found with building this first one the wood splits very easly when you try to cut out the windows so I glued .010 styrene to the back of al the peices that I had to cut the windows doors ect. it worked like a charm.

Chris333
3rdrail is right it is bowser that makes the trucks I am not sure if they sell them separatly or not I got mine off of donors I picked up cheap at Timonium.

Dave I used a product called Aero Gloss sanding sealer primer by Midwest I believe it used in building flying model planes.The stuff stinks out loud but it worked good.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:47:10 PM by 71jeep »

bsoplinger

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »
Quality Craft models, boy does that bring back memories....

I know I still have one of their brass boxcar kits and one of those brass cabeese kits and even a Weyerhaeuser all door car, as they called it. It had a set of 8 doors that were cast white metal and glued onto a wooden box you made from the bits in the kit.

I'd love to get replacement sets of all those kits so I could do them over again now that I'm more skilled.  Wonder how many years its been since they went out of business?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 09:14:29 PM »
I think it looks ok .. and if you apply the 3 foot rule, I am sure it will be fine .. the damned cameras :) pick up everything ..