Author Topic: Trouble with Kato site  (Read 1711 times)

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Trouble with Kato site
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:16:20 AM »
Anyone having issues with the Kato USA website? All I get is a cannnot display web page error when I try to access it.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2905
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Trouble with Kato site
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:24:44 AM »
When I was checking it out yesterday, it definitely felt like it was being hosted on someone's calculator watch.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +853
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:35:17 AM »
When I was checking it out yesterday, it definitely felt like it was being hosted on someone's calculator watch.

nice Ed. 

There is something "nonstandard" about the way their page is constructed that ( I believe ) makes it slow.  On my browser, the links do not turn the cursor into a hand.  It appears that there is a transparent Flash movie on a layer or something.  No time to go play with it to be sure.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:45:07 AM »
Really?

Besides the home page being a little slow to load, the site seems fine...
Mind you I'm running Mozilla.
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
Nope, no dice, just tried again and it wont let me access it, not that I`m losing sleep over it though...Yet another reason to give all my business to Atlas
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »
There is a lot of talk over on the Atlas board about their new site.  Does take forever to load.  Not sure if I like it yet or not. 

Speaking of Kato - I ordered a DCC E-8 about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from them.  Does it normally take that long to get stuff from them?
Bob

3rdrail

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »
You guys got me curious, so I tried it out. Worked just fine for me, using Windows XP with IE7 as a browser on DSL. Found that tender trucks are again available, as a set with the drawbar for $18.00. 8)

bsoplinger

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 03:00:44 PM »
On a Mac using Firefox the menus work but once you pick a page from the menu they all leave behind ghosts of every menu choice so the top quarter of whatever page you went to isn't visible.

There definitely is non-standard coding on that site. Makes me think Kato should ask for a refund from whomever they got to do their site.

Speaking of parts that have become available again, does anyone by any chance have a set they don't need of the 921575 F40PH Strobe Light & Air Vents?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:05:04 PM by bsoplinger »

nscalesteve

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »

Speaking of parts that have become available again, does anyone by any chance have a set they don't need of the 921575 F40PH Strobe Light & Air Vents?

Brian, if you are looking only for the strobe lights send me a PM or eMail with your address - I have some left from engines I did paint (or I am painting) which did not have the strobes...

ljudice

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 08:58:33 PM »
If you checked the page source last night and tonight you will see it was changed. Also it no longer loads a Javascript stat program.

It does have a bizarre Flash Player Gadget up on the top for some reason, perhaps something that has not been fully implemented yet.

It is a million times faster today.

Lou