Author Topic: N Scale Freighter Nearly Finished  (Read 3247 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
Re: N Scale Freighter Nearly Finished
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 02:48:12 PM »
Ditterke,

Very convincing work! I've been thinking about barges for a long time. My first river scene, built in 1992, showed two coal barges that were out of control in the current, and were being pushed back into position by their tug and a Coast Guard cutter. Now I am modeling a seaport, Portsmouth, NH, where barges would not work very well, as there are few protected waters outside of the harbor. In my modeling era of the 1950s, barges were heavily used for the transport of bulk materials on protected waterways. In Portsmouth, they were used inside the harbor, and all along Great Bay, to carry bulk materials from one part of the harbor or Bay to another part. Further north, in Casco Bay around Portland, Maine, they were used more extensively, particularly for crude oil. This was also the case further south, in the greater Boston harbor.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 03:37:27 PM »
That and with the currents on the Pisquataqua river being one of the fastest/strongest in the country doesn't help out piloting inside the harbor either!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
That and with the currents on the Pisquataqua river being one of the fastest/strongest in the country doesn't help out piloting inside the harbor either!

Thanks, Ian! I'd forgotten that. It would make barge traffic very difficult. I was last near the harbor in 1973.