Author Topic: Kato SD40 no D/B help  (Read 2157 times)

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
Kato SD40 no D/B help
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:02:49 PM »
Ok I think I might know how I'm going to do this, but lets see if there's any better ideas!
How would you go about removing the Dynamic Brake blister on a Kato SD40? Without
buggering up everything else around it?

I'm jonesing for some Soo & CNW!

Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Kato SD40 no D/B help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:41:53 PM »
I would make vertical cuts with a fine xacto saw, and horizontal cuts with a sharp #11 blade (more like scribe and snap). 

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:38:28 PM »
I did a C&NW years ago by shaving the DB blister first with an x-acto knife and then finishing with small "rifler" type files. I also drilled out the fans on top and backed the hole with thin styrene from underneath and then backfilled with putty from the top. There is enough plastic in the casting that you can file everything flush without actually removing the whole section. It's a little labor intensive but not really that hard.

Non-db SD45s are another animal, however! I did one of those using basically the same technique and building up that angled fairing from scrap styrene and putty. They make a nice pair. I would also like to do a Soo Line SD40, but with the small tank. One of these days...

Good luck!

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
My personal technique is one that doesn't allow any of the removed part to be salvaged.

1. Drill a hole through the top of the shell with a dremel (pin drill might work).
2. (optional) Wallow out the hole by eating away at the body with the drill bit.
3. Whittle away the remaining plastic with CAREFUL cuts, and a #11 blade.
4. Finish with files.

I'll be the first to tell you it's a risky technique.  There are plenty of chances to make a mistake, damage the shell, or even take your thumb off.  If you're careful, it works well, though.  Since I couldn't get fancy tools as a kid, I got plenty of practice with this.  ...Just the other day I used the same technique to mount a switch in the dashboard of a vehicle.
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys...

Tom, I really like your idea of "sectioning" the part to be cut... I will try doing this first (especially for the blisters on the sides)
Pedro, how did you protect the surrounding detail while filing/sanding? I'm worried about taking out a door or the like. also do you have a picture of the SD45? (you just had to mention that ;D)
Robert, I've used that technique before to install brass fan kits, if Tom's suggestion doesn't work for me this is probably what I'll do.

Thanks again
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:39 PM »
Protecting the door and fan detail is a concern. I used several layers of masking tape.

Here are some pictures, although I am a bit embarrassed at the crudeness of these now. I did them over 12 years ago. I could probably do better today!

SD40:

SD45:

SD45 shell showing initial filing needed. Note the damaged areas on the shell. Some things you have to learn the hard way...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:13:58 PM »
I'd suggest applying some masking tape over the areas you don't want damaged.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »
Pedro,since both of those locos ,but especially the SD45 are on my want to do list I borrowed your pics for inspiration. ;D

I am inspired.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:28:24 PM by Catt »
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made