Author Topic: MTL employee chews out another manufacturer over NMRA compliance  (Read 8491 times)

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Re: MTL employee chews out another manufacturer over NMRA compliance
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 04:46:06 AM »
I can't type anywhere without getting in trouble... so don't look at me...

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 06:24:35 AM »
Lets not turn this into a Trainboard discussion .. they have their rules and are entitled to enforce them.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 06:45:25 AM »
Some moderation isn't as transparant others. Personally, I think moderating wording should be left to the same standards as broadcast TV. A kid might know that F*** is a bad word, but does he even know what "steaming yard loafs" connotates? Ugly bread?

I'll leave any forum the day they ban "craptacular"

Unless I get banned bt TB first....
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 09:07:51 AM »
I kinda think if Joe was at the helm the pizza cutters would have been relegated to optional "accessories" available to the hard liner folks that argue for flange enlargement.

I used to care that they included deep dish pizza cutters but since we have good replacement wheels readily available from others it's a non issue for me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:20:17 AM by NandW »

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »
wow a thread with a dual purpose,, talk about MTL and bash trainboard.

You can make some of the people happy all the time,,, and all of the people, happy some of the time.

Adios Wyatt

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 09:12:45 AM »
wow a thread with a dual purpose,, talk about MTL and bash trainboard.

You can make some of the people happy all the time,,, and all of the people, happy some of the time.

Adios Wyatt

Wyatt! How`s it going? Thought you fell of the earth..

Rich
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 09:31:26 AM »
I think you are going after the wrong guy....Joe always seems like he is also trying to change things at MT for (what we consider to be) the better.  It's best to have him on your side and support him, not continually piss him off all the time.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »
Not sure, but since the short-lived little brouhaha at Brainboard was over Z scale items, should this thread be moved?

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 09:39:48 AM »
First of all, I find MTL's response to the criticism of them to be reasonable and justified. They did not "chew out" another manufacturer--read the message in its entirety. There is no "between the lines" about it.  

Second, this is Z scale that's being discussed here. Whatever MTL does in N scale is irrelevant.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 09:39:56 AM »
Wow, that's a classic...it's nice that Micro Trains can still entertain me and contribute to my hobby enjoyment in some way...
Sean

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »
Second, this is Z scale that's being discussed here. Whatever MTL does in N scale is irrelevant.

Yes, this is a good point.  In Z scale, MTL flanges are somewhat in between lo-pros and pizza cutters: not disagreeable at all.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
First of all, I find MTL's response to the criticism of them to be reasonable and justified. They did not "chew out" another manufacturer--read the message in its entirety. There is no "between the lines" about it.  

I agree, there's no "between the lines".  It was clear and forthright in criticism of another manufacturer not supplying NMRA compliant wheelsets.  When you start bringing up comments about poor engineering and quality control, then you are "chewing out" another manufacturer.

Sorry David, but I read the message in it's entirety, and its meaning is very clear.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 10:22:56 AM »
Not sure, but since the short-lived little brouhaha at Brainboard was over Z scale items, should this thread be moved?

The main point of this topic was that MTL has non-compliant N scale equipment.  The fact that MTL was chewing out another manufacturer about NMRA compliance was presented as an interesting aside, considering MTL N scale rolling stock is not NMRA compliant.  The fact that the original thread over at another forum was in the Z Scale section seems irrelevant...?

But looks like it got moved already, so what do I know?

3rdrail

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 10:38:12 AM »
Since my comments referred to N scale, I removed them and suggest others that pertain to N scale do likewise.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
It was clear and forthright in criticism of another manufacturer not supplying NMRA compliant wheelsets.  When you start bringing up comments about poor engineering and quality control, then you are "chewing out" another manufacturer.

The point is, this "criticism" was not unprovoked.  Even though taken way out of context, you did manage to include the part about Micro-Trains "chang(ing) the rules" and that was a backhanded slam at them.  Placing blame on MT for having NMRA compliant track is misplaced blame, and I don't fault Joe for responding.

Comparing it to the MT pizza cutter vs. Atlas Code 55 is stretching this a LOOONG way.  MT has NMRA compliant wheels available.  There is no law that says they have to provide them with their freight cars.  Perhaps they will get kicked out of the NMRA...would that make you happy?  (I'm sure thousands of silver-haired HOers would be tickled)

Do I like the fact the lo-pro's aren't included anymore?  Hell no...and I vote with my wallet.  But at least M-T did try different things (pizza only, pizza & lp, lp only, now pizza only again, or something like that) and apparently their collectors and/or N-trakkers voted with their wallets too, and MT made a business decision.  I'm not an MT apologist, but pulling a post, out of context, to start a crusade (against the guy who PROBABLY is our biggest supporter) into another forum entirely....pretty weak in my opinion.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:02:05 AM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.