Author Topic: HO vs. N weathering techniques  (Read 2284 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2388
HO vs. N weathering techniques
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
A great modeler at the L&KV Model Railroad Club in Bethelhem, PA taught me how to weather with an air brush in HO. The technique works great in N too. It's pretty simple and easy to create mild - Not over the top results. You of course use the H-1 tip (fine) Pasche Air Brush, first shoot a light coat of Accu-Flex Rust to the trucks, sides and follow the lines of the ribs and rivets. Then it's Accu-Flex Grimey Black time, shoot the tops, sides and don't over do the flat sides. Next is Accu-Flex Concrete to mock dust - It gets shot from the bottom up. I really prefer this method to screwing around with chalks, oil paints and weathering powders. It gives a constant effect in a small scale you can't get with the others. The first two pictures are of that concept and the later is water based acylics brushed and streaked on. Notice the difference. The cars are $5 consignment jobs I picked up at one of the LHS's. Specifically for testing weathering ideas. The DRG@W ACF has "rapidos"  Just some thoughts.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:11:20 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: HO vs. N weathering techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:44:12 AM »
Seems like a good technique esp. if you need a way to do lots of cars in a short amount of time.   Is it hard to create variety, IOW, do the cars all tend to look more or less the same?

Also - where do you get Accu-Flex paint?   I thought that had been out of production for quite some time now.  Would other paints (ModelFlex?) work OK or is there anything specific about the Accu-Flex?

Thanks,
Ed

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 06:07:58 PM »
I bought a few bottles before the hammer fell. You can vary the effect. I went back and did a string of reefers today with just Tom's wash of Burnt Umber and Sienna. It looks pretty good.
Chuck Geiger

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »
I do all my weathering with simple washes of cheap craft acrylic paints.  I don't have an airbrush, and I've experimented with Floquil Instant Weathering, but I always go back to old reliable.  I use a variety of colors and intensities, but I'm rarely dissatisfied with the results.  Here's a few examples....

Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 07:30:15 PM »
NICE Lee! - We need to start a thread about the differences in weathering in regions. East more rust and grime, West more dust and dirt.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:31:57 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:50:30 PM »
Good job weathering that green PC car lee.  However, that blue looking PC car has got to go.  Not your fault - Never have liked those short highcube boxes.  Considering them ugly and everytime I see one I want to crush it between my hands.
Bob

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:52:01 PM »
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:25 PM »
Nice weathering all around. I always dust a fading coat on and dust affects with my airbrush and then do highlights and details with pastels
and dry brushing. and somtimes I'll take a toothpick and poke some rust paint on.