Author Topic: New building challenge?  (Read 2172 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
New building challenge?
« on: October 13, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »
I was wondering if you guys would be interested in a new type of building challenge. I have had a rough time coming up with a solution to building a White Pine. These are all over the northeast and many modelers could benefit from different building techniques. While I know many of you hated the N-Scale tree building articles, I believe that certain types of flora are essential to creating a local. Palm trees for Florida. Redwoods for California logging and giant evergreens for Washington state. White Pine is a recognizable part of the northeast landscape and would help many of us capture that New England look.

What do you guys think, is there enough people out there who want to participate in this build off?

Here are the trees in question:

There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
Re: New building challenge?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:38:57 PM »
Quite frankly, I think a Supertree might be a good place to start.

They have the right proportions, and cutting out some of the branches might give the proper tiered look.

Hmm....

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 08:24:58 PM »
And I can do Lob-lollies and Long Leafs.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

kevdog77

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »
Daniel,

I've been experimenting with ways to scratchbuild trees. . .and this is what I've come up with so far. Using floral wire and tape, I cut 20-30 strands of wire to size, wrap them with the tape, shape it into something that sort of looks like a tree, then brush it with thin plaster to hide the wire. Once the plaster dries, I'll paint it with tie brown or some other grey-ish brown color. Once that dries, I'll coat the ends of the branches with clear caulk, then apply WS underbrush to the branch ends. The pictures below kind of detail the process.

I'm not thrilled with the WS underbrush, and want to experiment with other foliage products for a more realistic look, but this works for me pretty welll. I think the underbrush is too thick, and I'm looking for a lighter, translucent look.

I build 5-6 trees at a time, do all the wire and plaster, then the paint, and finally, the foliage, so it's broken down into 3 separate sessions. I've found that if I do more than 5-6 at a time, my work gets pretty lousy.

After reading your post, I've done the wire work for an eastern white pine. I think this method might work, perhaps not as a display specimen model, but to fill in the forests and give the viewer the general look of a pine forest. Let me know what you think of this. If you're interested, I can post pictures of the pine in progress.

On the plus side, this method is DIRT CHEAP, and a nice change of pace from other MR projects. It takes some time, but it's not too draining because it's broken down into three 30-45 minute sessions.

Kevin

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:59:56 PM »
It's too short ;)

kevdog77

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:18:55 PM »
It's too short ;)

Umm. . .Selective compression??? :D

SOUPAC

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Hi Daniel!

It looks like the tree in the first photo has a split trunk which has resulted in the appearance that it is heavier foliaged at the top rather than the bottom. That would seem quite rare. Is that the case or is this thing growing from the sky down?
RICK

Tileguy86

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »
 Hi guys..new here but been around other forums quite a bit. Thought i'd pop in and see what ya'll are up too here :)....My take on White Pines.
White pines are tough..especially in the larger scales......
They are not too bad if you can bury them within a forest .
The wire method(see terrain modelling book by Osprey) is probobly the best for a Lone white pine but is very labor intensive. Spruce & Balsam Fir are far far asier to do ;)

Here was an attempt at one I did for a corner of my 1/32 scale slot track (sits below where my new modular On30 track will go)
I'll post several angles so you can see what i mean..........it's not bad Within a forest but as a stand alone it would be a bit well, not quite right!!

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 11:38:53 PM »
I once took 2 supertrees and flatend the branches and stuck 'm together to makit fuller. it worked pretty well