Author Topic: The News From Trainfest-Milwaukee  (Read 2420 times)

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +579
The News From Trainfest-Milwaukee
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:57:50 PM »
This is the first opportunity I've had to get on a computer since returning from Trainfest in Milwaukee.  As always a great show--one magazine employee (who shall remain nameless so as not to piss off other shows) says that this is the biggest show other than the NMRA National.

Had a very pleasant visit with Craig Martyn at BLMA and his lovely GF (and BLMA commercial star!).  All of his stuff is amazing especially the brass 150' bridge. I have no immediate use for one but I 'm going to order one from Chulvis anyway.

Had a brief visit with Cory at the Atlas booth.  Saw the Ford Fairmonts--too bad they're Fords but they do fill a much needed niche--nicely done.  Didn't see the hopper car everyone is talking about on the A board.

Saw the Con-Cor HO UP M-10,000 in operation and rapid protptype test shots of the N Aero-Train.  The Con-Cor rep implied summer 2008 for the N M-10,000 and said both that and the Aero-Train will have DCC/Sound modules available for separate purchase.  That should please all of you that are miffed at mandatory sound offerings like the Athearn Challenger.

Nothing memorable from Bachmann.

Model Tech Studios had a number of new but pricey structure kits.  I bought a nice general store from Mountaineer Models and an REA 1-ton truck from Sylvan.

Lots of great layouts. Saw Mike Skibbe and Roger Denton's Mini Modu-Track layout.  Very nice.  I especially enjoyed the super-detailed Milwaukee Road engines.

Saw The Kato GS-4 (awfully shiny) and the  Daylight cars including the three unit articulated diner which was posed on an S-Curve.  I'm no SP expert but they looked awfully good to me.

Speaking of Athearn- no news on the Big Boy but they did have test shots of F-45 shell in four distinct road configurations including Milwaukee Road.  The rep said not to expect before summer 2008.

Intermountain had a laptop showing a computer rendering of the SP cab forward.  I asked when it was due and he said Feb 2008.  I questioned how it could go from computer rendering to the market in that amount of time and was assured that it would happen.  Stay tuned!

The biggest news for me is from Micro-Trains.  My buddy and I have stuffed MT's suggestion box at every show asking for a particluar body style.  He asked where the suggestion box was and was told they forgot to bring it but what was his request.  He said triple dome tankcar and was told don't worry, you've got it , it's done.  He was told the first release will be two roadnumbers (of an unknown road) but not in a two pack.  This is something N scale has waited a long time for.

That's all my aging memory can recall for now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:03:34 PM by Roger Holmes »
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Wardie

Re: The News From Trainfest-Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »
Thanks for the report Roger, I'm patiently waiting for Intermoutain to announce the N scale U18B, as that's when I will have to re-mortgage my house.

Are the F45's something that fit your layout era?

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +701
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:16:24 AM »

Lots of great layouts. Saw Mike Skibbe and Roger Denton's Mini Modu-Track layout.  Very nice.  I especially enjoyed the super-detailed Milwaukee Road engines.

Hi Roger,

Have to correct you on my name. While Roger is a great name, mine is actually Bill  ;D

It was nice to finally meet you in person.

Bill Denton
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Roger Holmes

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:55:20 AM »
Sorry, Bill. I was typing in a hurry, got interupted and then deleted half of the post.  When I recreated it something in the back of my mind indicated that I screwed up your name.  I'll try to use the front of my mind today ;D  I actually know a Roger Denton who also is a really nice guy if that makes you feel any better ;)

Wardie--the F-45 was, IIRC, the last engine purchased by the Milwauke Road.  They started out in UP passenger yellow and after Amtrak were repainted to orange and black for freight service.  I'm not much of a stickler for era unless I am taking pictures.  Even then I've caught a few glaring mistakes.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 06:24:09 PM »
Hello Milwaukee Road Trainfest-ites (or is it Trainfest-inians?),

Any news from Fox River Models as to the status of their Milwaukee Road transfer caboose? After seeing all of the wonderful MR products in HO scale, it keeps getting harder to stay modeling in N. The transfer caboose is way up there on my list.

Best Wishes,
Dave

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +701
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:18:08 AM »
Dave,

Matt had painted samples at Trainfest. Very nice. However he said the MP caboose will be out first followed by the Milwaukee cabooses. I don't believe he has a definitive date yet. I'll see him this weekend and ask about them again since I want three for my Kingsbury branch layout.

Bill Denton
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the update. I need two or three of these for my future Beer Line branch. I would love to see a photo of the painted models if anyone had one available.

Best wishes,
Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »
IIRC Matt said the Milwaukee Road transfer cabooses wouldn't arrive before next summer.  The samples were very nice as Bill reported.
Best regards,

Roger