Author Topic: How to deal with steamers that won't pull....  (Read 1918 times)

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
How to deal with steamers that won't pull....
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:00:23 AM »
From the Dapol web site in the UK - the loco they are talking about is a 2-10-0

http://www.dapol.co.uk/

LATEST 9F UPDATE
16/11/07 :

PRESS RELEASE – 9F LOCOMOTIVE
Dear Customer

As you will know, we source our complete motorised chassis from China and to date we have always been provided with completely accurate product and exactly on schedule.

When we specified and designed the 9F locomotive some 14 months ago we gave precise and strict instructions concerning its haulage capacity. At every stage of the development we were assured that its haulage capacity (we set it nominally as 20 Gresley Coaches on a level track and through 9” radius curves using under 6.0v) would be achieved.

Even when launching the model at our Open Day on 20th October we were assured that “the chassis are exactly to specification”. Indeed, the one we displayed hauled 30 dogfish without any effort.

Yesterday we were both saddened and extremely angry to receive part of the first consignment which was clearly underpowered and struggled around 9” radius curves and was therefore clearly not to specification.

Therefore, as the person with overall responsibility I have had no option but to reject the whole consignment of chassis.

As I write we have an engineer in China was has advised that the problem has now been identified and resolved; however it is virtually inevitable that the promised release date of Warley (1st December) will not now be achieved.

I would therefore give all customers my personal apologies for the delay. We are deeply embarrassed by the situation but would (as I hope you will agree) rather see a short delay now than to issue a product which is not ‘right’. Although there is a delay it is anticipated that that all stockists will have the product by Christmas.

We will of course keep customers fully aware of the ongoing position via postings on our web site.

George Smith
Chief Executive
Dapol Limited

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: How to deal with steamers that won't pull....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:26:54 AM »
Now THAT'S a class act!

I couldn't think of anything more opposite of the way PCM is handling their M1 situation that that.

Bravo to them! I wish I had an interest in UK steam, I'd be all over that. I'm still tempted to throw them a few bucks just because of that anyway.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »
Yes, if you're accepting preorders, it's best not to keep people in the dark with excuses.  Dapol did the right thing here.

Stay cool and reject weak steam... 8) 8)

ñiao

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:32:59 PM »
wow, someone in the top level management with a back bone ... rare find indeed!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:09:37 PM »
Now THAT'S a class act!

I couldn't think of anything more opposite of the way PCM is handling their M1 situation that that.

PCM has become a bad joke. Did BLI "break into" HO with all this pre-order bulltwinkle?

Walkercolt

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »
Nowadays, someone who will stand-up and take responsiblity for actions not directly theirs' is almost unheard of. You sure won't hear it from the politicians, or the buerocrats, or from most people in a responsible postion. The guy from Dapol deserves a medal for plain old HONESTY! Most people in positions of authority must have a Doctorate in lying, because you never hear the truth from them....if you're lucky you hear excuses...if you're not so lucky, they just lie to your face and never blink. Diogonese would wear out his lantern today, trying to find an honest man. Forgive my rant, but the TV reporters lie, the newspapers lie(or get it all wrong, which is about the same thing), the government lies, most corporations lie, and if someone just stands up and tells the TRUTH, no excuses, no exceptions, no "prettying it up", it's just so unusual, and that's a crying shame. There was a time a man's word meant something. His word was as good as a roomfull of Contract Lawyers, or most of the time, a heck of a lot better. :'(

randgust

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 07:32:05 AM »
 Wow..... ;D