Author Topic: First Z Scale Code 25 handlaid turnout  (Read 13196 times)

bambuko

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: First Z Scale Code 25 handlaid turnout
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »
BTW--your last name...?
Kaminski

Edit: I just measured M-T flex, and it is Code 60. I assume they use Code 55 for their raodbed sectional?
yes, code 55 is for their new micro-track
they make a point of stressing that it is code 55:
http://www.micro-trains.com/micro-track_z.php

Chris

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
Is it hard to adjust the rails after being soldered to the ties?  Do you have to get it right the first time, or can you heat up large section to bump the rail over a hair?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »
How bout just do it right the first time  ;)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 05:24:31 PM »
Is it hard to adjust the rails after being soldered to the ties?  Do you have to get it right the first time, or can you heat up large section to bump the rail over a hair?

It's not too hard to adjust the rail position, once you get the hang of it. It helps to practice on a test length of track first, and rehearse the move you want to do. The trick is to work quickly to avoid overheating the ties. While sliding the iron tip back and forth along the outside of the rail along a length of about 6 or 8 ties, gently press on the rail with a tweezers. The rail will shift once all of the joints have melted. You can also move the rail in very tiny increments by heating one tie at a time, but the amount of movement this way is only a couple thousandths of an inch.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »
I used no guides or jigs; everything except gauge (which I used a piece of M-T flex to establish) was eyeballed. But rolling stock passes through like it wasn't there. All done except the throwbar, which will not be soldered in place.
Terrific work, I'm just not clear: how does the rolling stock make it thru OK if there is no throwbar?  Unless you just mean in one direction, or if the point rails are fixed into the right place?

Thanks,
Ed

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 07:20:41 PM »
I used no guides or jigs; everything except gauge (which I used a piece of M-T flex to establish) was eyeballed. But rolling stock passes through like it wasn't there. All done except the throwbar, which will not be soldered in place.
Terrific work, I'm just not clear: how does the rolling stock make it thru OK if there is no throwbar?  Unless you just mean in one direction, or if the point rails are fixed into the right place?

Thanks,
Ed

Until I make the throwbar, I'm just holding the point rails in place with a jig so that I can test rolling stock. I'm actually making the throwbar right now; it will be notched to engage the points, instead of soldered to the points.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »
The top part is the throwbar. It's cut out of a scrap of tough Delrin-like plastic. The raised part engages the point rails. The part below it is a shim that is slid under the throwbar after it's in place to position it up against the underside of the stock rails.

The throwbar and the shim are installed in this slot between the two long ties.

The throwbar is in place. I'm pushing it with a tweezers to hold the points in the normal route, then the diverging route.

That's all there is to it.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 08:51:05 PM »
For people with absolutely nothing better to do, here's a 23-second video of me scooting a freight car back and forth through the Code 25 turnout. Since none of the copper on the ties has been cut yet, I can't power the rails, so I must 0-5-0 cars around for now.

http://jamesriverbranch.net/video/turnout_test.WMV

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »

bambuko

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 12:59:36 PM »
Dave,
you didn't seriously hope to get away with original MTL wheels?? :-X
even if the flange depth was smaller than 25thou
the problem was always going to be flange width and wheel back to back dim

one of the problem is that there is no Z gauge standard - the only thing in existence relates to Marklin and let's be honest this is "evolutionary blind alley" as far as fine/prototypical modelling goes  :P

the only solution (as discussed elsewhere, when talking about my attempts to tool code 30) is to have the total package:
rails, wheelsets and the standard that takes it all into account (could do also with better couplers...)

after all Z gauge as available at the moment is really N gauge (wheel flanges, rails, couplers, ride height that are not scaled down from N to Z, but are full N size - the only things Z are overall size of cars, locos, etc )

and there is no point getting excited about MTL either - the only claim they make about their product is that it will work with their code 50 rails ???
they can't even guarantee it will work with AZL or Marklin ...

However great, impressive and boundary pushing is your effort, we will not get "FineZ" until we have all the elements of package

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment  :(
Chris

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 01:05:35 PM by bambuko »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »
Thanks for the setback, M-T: http://1-220.blogspot.com/2007/11/unpleasant-surprises.html

This also happened with their n scale lo-pros a few years back.  Changed for no good reason.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »
With the FT C40 jig turnouts I had to make the frog flange ways wider so I could get Marklin locomotives through there. So far the MT have all worked out. Still a shame there are differences though.

Pray59

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 11:06:50 PM »
It's too bad MTL wheels are not all the same. I have some that the axle between the wheels is offset, so when the cars roll down the track, you can see the axles move up and down while the wheels track fine. Kind of like an excenter issue.

Well, I am all for finescale wheelsets on code 30 rail. Finescale wheelsets to replace all my MTL wheels is something I would be willing to invest cash in. I am not talking a $12.95 to do 1 car deal, but major bulk availability where you could afford to resell 100 wheelset bulk packs for $29 to those that can appreciate them, where we order something like 20,000 of them for 15 cents a piece. Blackened nickel coated of course.

These do not have to be proto220, because I think you need a bit more flange (.010")for Z Scale, as cars bounce very easy. But very close. With wheels available, code 30 rail will be the next item on my list to aquire.

-Robert

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 04:14:14 AM »
I like MT's Z flange size. They aren't pizza cutters thats for sure. I'd buy metal wheels with the same flange.