0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
it's difficult for me rip sheets of plywood (thanks to my sub-par table saw)
Quote from: tom mann on November 04, 2007, 01:15:52 PMit's difficult for me rip sheets of plywood (thanks to my sub-par table saw)A carbide-tip blade can work wonders.I used to have a big table saw but lately I just use my little $99, 10" Ryobi. For large sheets of plywood I just have Home Depot (or whoever) rip them down to 12" wide on their in-store panel saw -- then I can easily rip them as needed on the little home saw. That also makes 'em a lot easier to carry and to fit into the minivan.
The guide is not parallel to the blade, so I have to increase the tolerance a little, creating enough slop that the wood goes through but at the cost of having a wavy cut. ;D
Ed- sorry to rain on your parade, but that "cabinet grade" plywood Home Depot is selling is from China, and it's absolute crap. I've been a carpenter/cabinetmaker for over 20 years. I used the plywood from HD on one project for a customer for a support frame where it wouldn't be seen so I thought it was fine. Within 6 months, the stuff I had left over in my shop was unusably warped, and the material at my customer's home had started to delaminate. I had to re-make all the parts I had used the "cabinet grade" plywood for. It was an expensive lesson, but a mistake I won't make again. I will not use plywood that isn't made in the USA or Canada, with the exception of the Baltic Birch plywood I refered to earlier. Just my $.05 (ajusted for inflation). Your milage may vary...