Author Topic: Passenger car frustration  (Read 2378 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Passenger car frustration
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:22:23 AM »
I've been on a passenger car kick of late; don't ask me why; my little 3'x5' "for the 4 year old' layout replacement for my flood destroyed garage layout isn't really made for wonderfully long consists of passenger cars but nevertheless, that's been the "order of the day" at the workbench.

I've decided, and in an obvious "drug induced haze" (Tylonol cold will do that) for a died in the wool Canadian Pacific fanatic, to model a mid 1950's to mid 1960's Canadian National (go outside and spit; turn around three times and chant) green and gold consist. I've done my research; decided on my cars that make sense for western Canada and have the Kato F3's and the Intermountain F7's (would love to figure out how to kitbash a 4-8-2 Mountain into a semi streamlined "Bullet Nosed Betty", but that's a topic for another day) but am getting minor league frustrated at the lack of heavyweight and, for that matter lightweight cars available.

Now; don't get me wrong; I'm not above kitbashing; in fact I like it; but the simple fact of the matter is that the Riversosi/Arnold 12-1 sleeper is a pain in the caboose as a sole starting place for a HW sleeper; and the rest of the line of HW's are "vanilla" (read Santa Fe prototypes) and are so limited without major surgery. I am waiting with bated breath the Micro Train offering but it will be but one, tentative car which may not be followed up; or will be followed up with cars that are just as "vanilla".... what's a modeler to do ?

That said; I'm "soldiering on" and have two cars done; not world beaters but qualifiers for the 3 foot rule.

Even something as simple as clostery roofs are an issue - what about air conditioning ? It takes you hours of sanding and work to make a putty filled roof; if you have 8 cars to do it's an eternity....

I've done the core kit and brass side thing; great; you can spend $ 50.00 per car and these are not for the novice or intermediate modeler..... there has to be a better way !

I just wish that there was a bigger selection of RTR plastic models to start with. After all; we have 2 offerings of one locomotive ( the FT; F3 and 2-8-2 Mikado in the last few years)  29 Intermountain versions of UP Cabeese and hoppers coming out of our ying-yang; what about the other half of railroading ? Let's move some 1:160 people as well as 1:160 freight !

Can we please have some HW passenger cars.... please......?
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Passenger car frustration
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:49:49 AM »
I don't know much about passenger equipment... by the era I'm modeling none had been on my prototype in a dozen years...  But it looks like you've made lemon pie out of those Rivarossi cars.  (not that they're lemons... they're probably the best thing we have available at the moment.)

But I dare say you've done an admirable job there, Mike.  Can you direct us to some proto photos so we can see what you're shooting for?
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:16:46 AM »
 I agree when it comes to heavyweights unless you can find any of the old Pecos River Brass stuff on E Bay. Walthers is supposidly coming to our rescue,but when, their first three cars will be lightweights smoothside and corrugated 10-6 sleepers and a baggage car. I wish they would take all their HO offerings and start to produce them now in N a huge investmentin New Tooling and time. Then there is Rapido Trains (no relationship to old Arnold) of Canada with all their nice C N lightweights in HO,which almost also look good in the other roads offered, but we will never see them in N,Waaa. Oh I would give my right arm for a Good "E Class" Sleeper in N . Very nice modeling work by the way I don't think you have to observe the three feet rule with these.                                                                              Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 02:48:32 AM »
MT (or Joe) has announced that they are doing Heavyweights in N and smoothsides in Z. Just gotta wait. I believe the cars will have all new trucks/couplers as well.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »
If you want some brass ones here's a site where they still have some left:
http://www.grampas-trains.com/
I have about 9 of them.  At 75 to 100 a pop they are not cheap.  These are the last new PBR cars you can get.
Bob

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:09:13 AM »
It would be nice if Bachmann would use the shrinky dink ray on their HO Spectrum cars, too.  Still pretty vanilla, but very nicely done.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »
N scale passenger service doesn't make any money... the Government needs to step in! :P

Seriously though those cars look great for Riversosi cars!

Wheels of time is making Harrimans...

Don't forget the Atlas, MP & Crapman cars, may be crude but there may be something...
http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/protopass1.htm

MT has promised a series of H/W passenger cars by 2009...

On pure speculation Branchline Trains is now in N scale. Just structures at the moment, but what does the future bring?

Keep up the great work the results are worth it.
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

3rdrail

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:51:29 AM »
The Model Power passenger cars are a fairly good representation of the as built PRR P70 coach and PBM70 passenger-baggage-mail combine. The price makes them good kitbashing fodder. When you consider how much "kitbashing" the PRR did to P70's, one ought to be able to make decent heavyweights out of these.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »
Nice looking cars there Puddington!!
By the way what did you use for decals on those cars?
I have some of the Athabasca cars that I will be doing
and will need decals.
Jon

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 04:58:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement regarding my efforts ! - The decals are a special edition of CNR passsenger decals sponsored by the CN Special Interest Group that were laid out by Black Cat; produced by Micro Scale. They have about 100 car names and numbers, plus specialty car titles (ie: Instruction Car) and have the "Canadian National" name and both the block and maple leaf logo. Enough stuff for atleast four cars and, depending on your era and mix of livery, enough for over 12 cars !
They are available from most good Canadian Model Trains shops; I know that Credit Valley Railway has them in stock. (www.cvrco.com) They are available in both N and HO.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »

Wheels of time is making Harrimans...

I believe these are all sold out...or at least the SP version....that's what the e-pusher I ordered from says.

Wes