Author Topic: Dumb DCC question #352  (Read 7582 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Dumb DCC question #352
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 02:57:14 PM »
Something else to think about is how JMRI works with your system.

I know it's a HELL of a lot easier to program things like dimmable headlights using a nice GUI instead of messing around with CVs.

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
I'm sure there tons of versions of this chart, but I found it pretty helpful.

http://mrsonline.net/html/comparison_chart.htm

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 06:12:47 PM »
To actively delete an address, you have to read a chapter in the manual, understand quantum physics, and do a few calculations... oh wait, that's Digitrax...  on the MRC, you push the "delete" button on the hand held.

The Rocket Surgery that IS Releasing a Locomotive in Digitrax
by Doug Andreasen

CHAPTER 1
1. Press LOCO.
2. Enter the Address of the Loco.
3. Press EXIT.

The End
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:15:02 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »
So I exaggerate a bit...  "Delete" is so much more concise! ;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bsoplinger

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »
I'd recommend the NCE PowerCab as a good starter system. Has CV readback, a feature you'll find you want after you have a loco or two that suddenly doesn't seem to be doing what its supposed to. The MRC Prodigy express suffers in that it doesn't have readback. You can get the Advance throttle and plug it into the express system to get read back.

The PowerCab only supports running 2 locos at once from 1 Cab, but really, how many locos can you actively control at a single time?

If you just want some locos going roundy-round without intervention, you can do that with the PowerCab. You just control those locos first then move to the loco (or two) that you want to actively control. The original locos you set up to run will keep running while you play with the loco you're actively controlling.

The other nice feature is that at list price, the PowerCab is only about 15 bucks more than the ProCab, basically the same Cab without the ability to power a small layout. But if you get a larger NCE system, you can plug your PowerCab into it and it will behave just like it was a ProCab, ie a second full featured cab for your system.

I think the PowerCab has the easiest to use 'dcc for dummies' interface of all the systems I've seen and used. All the systems can let you program CV addresses. A lot have a 'setup a loco' feature, where you just plug in a few values and they do all the computations to do things like set the configuration CV (CV# 29) and the loco number and the start/stop/mid speeds etc. But the PowerCab has even more menus that let you go off and program lighting effects and all other sorts of goodies.

Just suggesting you look at an NCE system ;)

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 05:38:32 AM »
DTxxx throttles handle two engines at once. The extra steps are required so the correct address gets dispatched.
I then press the DISP button. Thought it stood for DISPatch.

UT throttles handle one address. Press the DISPatch key and plug in. Done.

tillsbury

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »
Errr, why would you need to delete an address anyway?  It gets dispatched when you pick up another engine?

Charles

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 07:04:54 AM »
You have 50 locos. How many will you be using concurrently? Even if you won't be exceeding the "10" allowed on the Zephyr, your quantity suggests that perhaps you shouldn't be looking at an entry level system anyway.

Also, do you plan to MU locos? If so, the MU'd consist uses an additional "slot". So a 3 unit lashup would use four slots. (A workaround is to assign all 3 locos the same address.)

I'd look to the Chief, given your numbers. Will allow for expansion of your roster without pain on the DCC side.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 09:38:39 AM »
(A workaround is to assign all 3 locos the same address.)

That would certainly take all the flexibility out of consisting.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
The advantage to having multiple addresses available in the hand-held comes when you have a larger layout where a couple of trains can be operated simultaneously.  I can set up two routes for continuous running on my layout, and also either work a local on a branch line, switch the paper mill, or drill the yard.

I can do all of this controlled from the same throttle by simply toggling between the different addresses.  It's important to be able to do this, because I have the attention span of a tse tse fly...

;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »
I for one, have been thinking of either NCE Powercab or MRC Express.. but no one has mentioned the throttle control. [edited.. must have been looking at my monitor when I type NEC]

I'm not sure if I'd like NOT having an actual knob for a throttle.  thoughts on that guys?

Also, Do all systems allow you to unplug the throttle and move to another position on the layout?  I thought I'd seen a post where Gary(gats) said you can't do that with the NEC?  I've been reading the mfg sites and can't find anything that specifies this... 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:53:20 AM by diezmon »

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »
I for one, have been thinking of either NEC or MRC.. but no one has mentioned the throttle.

I'm not sure if I'd like NOT having an actual knob for a throttle.  thoughts on that guys?

Also, Do all systems allow you to unplug the throttle and move to another position on the layout?  I thought I'd seen a post where Gary(gats) said you can't do that with the NEC?  I've been reading the mfg sites and can't find anything that specifies this... 

If by NEC you mean NCE, that's certainly not the case.

My club uses an NCE system, and we have a large system of walkaround plugs around the layout. You can definately unplug and move all around.

Now, NCE has a couple of different systems; there's the main command system and the throttles are called "Pro-Cabs". There's another type of throttle they have called a "power-cab." You can plug the power cab into a regular system and use it like a standard pro-cab, but apparently it can also act as a standalone 1-throttle command system. If that's the case, you wouldn't be able to unplug the power-cab, but that pretty much restricts you to operating a 1-train little tabletop layout.

The speed buttons on the NCE pro-cabs work just fine. There's a pair on one side for up/down one step at a time, on the other side is a fast up/fast down pair that changes by 4 steps at a time. There's also a little dial in between the two sets of buttons that I think can be used as a speed control instead.

bsoplinger

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »
I bought the MRC express over the NCE Powercab for just that reason, the knob on the cab. It just feels wrong to me to use the thumb knob on the NCE system. I then got lucky and scored an Advance cab (which allowed me to do CV readback) to use on the express otherwise I'd be wishing I'd gotten the Powercab. Now I just recommend the Powercab to folks as a starter system if they will be doing any programming on their own of locos. The readback feature is a must when dealing with programming.

Both the MRC express and NCE Powercab have the limitation of being able to deal with an additional cab but the original one (the startup cab) can't be disconnected. The Prodigy Advance (and Advance squared) allow you to disconnect and move around. The Powercab has an upgrade, 99 retail price, booster which will allow you to move your cab around the layout, ie it can be disconnected, and it also offers a boost in power, from 1.5A to a full 3+A system.

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
Well, both the layouts I operate on (my club and the home layout of another club member) use a full NCE system, so I'm used to using the buttons for controlling speed. NCE also has a simpler throttle with a large knob that can only control one engine (or consist, but you'd need to use a pro-cab in order to setup or change a consist to use) and doesn't have many advanced features. These are great for controlling yard engines or single engine locals. Our club has two of these throttles for operating Sudbury yard, and Brian has several for yard jobs and local switchers.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »
This from the Digitrax Yahoo group

Y
es. To recap:

Digitrax has not formally announced the bidirectional radio yet,
however several people at the National Train Show in July had
conversations with them on this subject, where we were told:

* The plan is that Digitrax will continue to sell and support the
current (one way) radio system after the two-way system comes out.

* The new two-way system will operate in a different frequency range
so that it can co-exist with the current one-way radio system in the
same room and even on the same layout. For a layout to support both
the new and the existing radio systems simultaneously, you'd have to
add the new receiver in addition to the existing one.

* The new frequency range that was chosen (2.4GHz) is one that can be
used within the European Union and the Commonwealth, as well as the US.

* The new frequency range will eliminate interference issues sometimes
experienced in the 900 MHz range currently used by the one-way radio
system. Sourced of this interference have been cell phone repeaters,
other brands of radio throttles, cordless phones and bay monitors.

* The two-way radio throttle system was at the time being tested on a
few layouts.

* One of the design goals was to implement two-way radio without the
range limitations evident in some other two-way radio throttles.

* Digitrax will offer upgrade services to convert recent-model
tethered throttles to use two-way radio, for a fee.

* Digitrax will offer upgrade services to convert recent-model radio
throttles to use two-way radio, for a fee.

* There will be new throttles which will support two-way radio.

* The expected release date is either the end of this year, or during
the first quarter of next year.

* They were unable to say anything about pricing at the time.

-Fritz Milhaupt
DCC Wrangler and Web Guy, Operations Road Show

And

11c. Re: Digitrax wireless handheld throttle
Posted by: "Ross Kudlick" ross.kudlick@cox.net cnjross2000
Date: Sun Nov 4, 2007 10:57 am ((PST))

Digitrax has received FCC certification for the RF24 duplex modular radio
module which is designed for use in “Digitrax Host Devices.”

In the “Transceiver Certification Test Report” filed with the FCC is the
following statement:

1.2.2 Intended Use

The RF24 is designed to connect to Digitrax Host devices and exchange data