Author Topic: Value Kadee kit cars from the 70's?  (Read 1512 times)

SOUPAC

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Value Kadee kit cars from the 70's?
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:35:21 AM »
One day in the late 1970's maybe early '80's I placed an order with Rio Grande Hobbies, who I think at the time was in Alamagordo, NM, that included maybe 25 or 30 Kadee cars that were in kit form that had to be put together. I had no idea what I was doin' back then as I had no era specific thoughts or anything in any of the areas that needed decisions. They did get run quite a bit on NTrak modules, so the wheel probably have considerable wear, but other than that, I believe them to be in very good condition.

Today I know I am modeling the SP (at least its the same railroad) in 1996. Roofwalks were gone along with top mounted brake wheels.  I don't even have a car count or specific description put together. They are all factory painted 50' cars with roofwalks & top mounted brake wheels & tall end ladders. Besides SP, I think there are also some GN sky blue cars, some SSW and maybe some others. I'd be keeping them if it weren't for the roofwalks & other stuff that make them out of my current era. I do have a few pieces of motive power that would allow me to operate prior to 1980 if I wanted to. For sure the cars don't have any jewel boxes and the original packaging is long since gone.I doubt I'll be willing to modify all these 50' cars, so I'm sort of testing the waters to see if these would have any resale value.  What do ya think?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:13:30 AM by SOUPAC »
RICK

3rdrail

Re: Value Kadee kit cars from the 70's?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:27:52 AM »
At times, unassembled Kadee kits can command quite a premium, if the assembled car is also rare. Assembled kit cars are not sought by collectors at all, AFAIK. My last eBay purchase was an unassembled kit of a rare assembled car (the Soo Line "$sign" boxcar) and it cost me less than $10. I would buy some MTL "jewel boxes" (~75ยข ea.) if I were trying to sell the cars and add that to the price.

All said, you'll probably get more than you paid for them, but the dollar ain't worth what it was in the late 1970's either. If you're planning to use eBay, I'd start them at $5.00. If you're planning to sell here and other forums, I'd ask $10.00 or make offer.