Author Topic: Auto Scenes by Woodland Scenics  (Read 1389 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Auto Scenes by Woodland Scenics
« on: October 28, 2007, 01:54:13 AM »
  I have recieved one each of the six Woodland Scenics Auto Scenes in N. I have mixed feelings about these ,first let me make it clear they are very nicely done, but how much can you really see in N with their tiny size. As explained by WS the autos are generic to avoid licensing hassels with real auto makers, yet are made to still look close enough to Fords,Plymouths, and Chevs. The HO scene that was first pictured in all the adverts of the nice looking gal standing next to a Blue & White tail finned 57 Plymouth while a man in uniform presumably a cop changes her flat tire, is changed slightly. The gal is older, more rotund, bending over slightly, the flat fixer appears to be her husband also bending over. A minature jack with no stand (base) is also inluded as is a new tire and a seperate chromed wheel,the tire should be on it or else it is meant to be the removed hub cap, execpt all four are on the car and no tire looks quite flat. The trunk is modeled open,a neat feature. With no base for figures or jack everything will have to be glued in place on a layout scene. The couple loading a suitecase into their 56 Ford Tudor is also very nice, but again their bending over shape means they will have to be glued to the ground, the car has an interrior showing thru the open drivers door and an open trunk. The most useable ones are "Hall & Duke" two dogs in the back of a Chev Pickup Truck, which I have already opned and placed on the Farm scene that is being finished on one end of my layout. Also two cars "Billy Brown's Coup" a nicely detailed 1951 Merc.? and "family Vacation' a 55 Chev Nomad Wagon with luggage piled high on the roof. Trouble with these two are for about the same price as one car you can get two nicely done Mini Metals cars, their latest 1959 Fords. The best scene which I plan to use ath the WS Built Up Gas Station at the town of Snow Shoe at the end of the branch on my layout is "Waynes Recker Tow Service" ,thats right Wrecker with an "R". A very nice 55 or56 Chev Tow Truck complete with snazzy Red & White paint job, cab side lettering,tow cabeling on hoist, Wayne in a uniform with cap,a male customer and a nice Dark Blue 53 Merc, to be towed. Still I feel the impact of some of these scenes viewed in N will not be nearly as nice as their larger HO Cousins. Nate Goodman (Nato).

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Auto Scenes by Woodland Scenics
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:54:36 AM »
With no base for figures or jack everything will have to be glued in place on a layout scene.

Maybe a put a pin in the bottom of the figure? Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »
the figures, like all N scale figures are clunky and gruesome. I don't want bases as real people don't have bases (well, feet are a base). ;)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 10:19:20 PM »
The left rear tire of the Plymouth in the Felix Fix-a-Flat set does have a flat spot, although you hardly notice it until you roll the car on a flat surface.

I checked out the HO models prior to the release of the N scale versions, and some the HO models have much better proportions, especially when it comes to the bumpers.  I have posted comparison photos of the WS cars with similar N scale cars from other manufacturers.  If you are a member of the N Scale Vehicle Association's Yahoo group you can view the photos at the following link:

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/NScaleVehicleAssociation/photos/browse/b648

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/