Author Topic: New Event - Modeling Challenge  (Read 2702 times)

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
New Event - Modeling Challenge
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:00:12 AM »
Hey Everyone ...

Bill's great little scenery diorama just gave me a brain fart.   :-X   I would like to propose a Bi-Monthly or Quarterly Model Challenge that all can participate in. One time it could be scenery, handlaying a turnout, kitbash a loco or car shell, Re-vamping a built-up to make it unique, etc. I know the concept is not unique, but I have never seen it here. And I have never seen it on the A-Board (N). I also feel that with this group, this could be a really neat event.

OK, here are my thoughts... The challenge would be agreed upon before starting by a majority vote. Expenses should be low, maybe even a $$ cap to make things even better of a challenge. This would NOT be a contest, but rather a venue that we can all try, since our skills are developed by doing and sharing. Weekend updates would be where we share our progress and request help from those that are better than ourselves. Final results would be a thread where each participant has either 3 or 4 images (NO IMAGE MANIPULATION) to showcase their challenge.

So ... What do you all think??

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: New Event - Modeling Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »
I like it. Since this is posted in the N scale board, I'm assuming it would be N? Or would it be any scale?

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 09:38:02 AM »
If you go through the Weathering, Scratchbuilding and Detailing forum, you will find that monthly Weathering Challenges were run until participation ceased. Participation in any scale was permitted, as long as the specific prototype was modeled.  These were contests and initially there were prizes donated.

I also ran a "how do YOU weather" series on various cars and locomotives of any scale. Not a contest, just a sharing of ideas.  Frankly, many of those who were responsible for these "challenges" grew tired of the lack of participation. Perhaps some new blood could reinvigorate the idea.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »
If you go through the Weathering, Scratchbuilding and Detailing forum, you will find that monthly Weathering Challenges were run until participation ceased. Participation in any scale was permitted, as long as the specific prototype was modeled.  These were contests and initially there were prizes donated.

I also ran a "how do YOU weather" series on various cars and locomotives of any scale. Not a contest, just a sharing of ideas.  Frankly, many of those who were responsible for these "challenges" grew tired of the lack of participation. Perhaps some new blood could reinvigorate the idea.
Gregg,

I did not know that and I stand corrected. The difference here would be that each challenge would be different thus adding to the variety that should keep interest up.

As to scale, if the challenge is non-scale specific it should not matter. Example: If the challenge was to model a diamond crossing with a, b, c then what scale it was done in would not matter. Scenery is scenery, just bigger or smaller. The concept is still the same.

Again, I'm just thowing up an idea to see if it would fly.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:38 AM »
Yeah I like that idea, it would be nice to add some variety.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:51 AM »
I'm always up for a challenge, but I never did the weathering challenges because the prototypes were too new for my layout.  I've always thought it would be fun to have a challenge where everyone takes the same DPM building and does whatever they want with it.  I think this would be particularly fun in light of their exorbitantly priced built ups, which IMHO further dumb down the hobby and leave the imagination to someone else.

In fact, I just purchased a DPM kit yesterday!  What a coincidence!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sparky

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I like the idea too.  I do agree it should probably be under "Weathering, scratchbuilding, and detailing", and be open to all scales.  So Bob, are you offering to be the Master of Ceremonies?  My modeling time is really limited right now, but that should change soon.  I think running it bi-monthly or quarterly give participants more time to complete the "assignment".  Soooo... what's the first project and when do we start?

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »
The scale military modeling forums frequently run "group builds" where everyone builds a particular kit or something that fits into a theme. The details are left up to the individual modeler, and there is never a "winner". These builds typically last for a couple of months to give those time-challenged modelers time to submit something. I think this type of a format is more likely to draw participation from more people. 

The wetahering challenges were fun to watch but came to be dominated by those blessed with the weathering "gene". That's not a knock on those modelers, just a recognition of their superior abilities that made it pointless for those not as talented to take part.

Keep it somewhat vague and mix up the subjects and I think you'll have a winner. I like Lee's idea of building a DPM kit.

Pedro

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »
And I'd like to see progress shots as well as the finished project.  It's fun to see how different modelers solve different problems...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 01:00:10 PM »
Ok .. by a vote of 1-0, TrainCat has been appointed the organizer .. organize away :)

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »
I have been limited financially and manipulatorilly (made up word based on manipulator for all my tools, paints, and supplies are in Utah) for quite some time.  Mainly for this reason and the lack of a layout, I haven't participated in any challenge or contest - ever.

As I read this topic, I kicked the hamster in my head into high gear.  I went over what I have available to me, and how I could 'try' to participate.  I think I finally came up with a few ideas to bring a little comedy to the situation, or actually even participate.  So... as long as the theme, or subject, remains somewhat vague - I think you can count me in.  Just don't expect pics on a layout, or with a good camera.  But, if I buy in; I'll take plenty of pics and do my best (or worst).

Here are a few of the things I might suggest for a "Modelling Group Build".  Nothing has to be new, just a show of work on the subject.  This could include paint, kits, detailing, bashing, scratching, lighting, etc... 
"-2 cab equipped diesels"
"Shays"
"Steam"
"Narrow Guage"
"SD40-2s"
"Passenger Motive Power"
"Your favorite Oddball Loco"
"Wide cab diesels"
"Parts I have glued to my hands"
"Mistakes made under the influence..."

Ok, the last two could just be good comedy threads.

Oh, and it's usually good to have more than one group build/challenge/'contest' going on at a time.  This allows more people to be active in at least one of them, instead of just a portion of the members.  As I may have said before... the more vague, the better. (within reason)

My thoughts. ;)
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

tillsbury

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:05:03 PM »
I'm certainly up for a DPM building session.  I have a few almost-completed ones that might even get finished if there were a good reason... 

Two months would be far better than 1, IMHO.  It was impossible to enter most of the weathering contests because it generally takes up to a month to receive most things you want to buy from here...

Charles

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 09:08:38 PM »
Let's start with that little two story DPM kit...the bakery or something like that.

nscalesteve

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Two months would be far better than 1, IMHO.  It was impossible to enter most of the weathering contests because it generally takes up to a month to receive most things you want to buy from here...

<buzzer sound> wrong answer ! - the last couple of weathering challenges were up for 2 months because of this reason...

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:54:48 AM »
  Throw Up,I hope you don't have a serious virus.Oh! maybe you mean throw out. Yes I like the idea I might even have one of those bakery kits squirreld away somewhere,I have a Wide Cab GP 60M I built a number of years back, would that count? We could take cheap low end freight cars like old  or even current Model Power and rebuild to look better,this would be a low cost challenge.                               Nate Goodman (Nato).