Author Topic: Unfinished project - N scale  (Read 1641 times)

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
Unfinished project - N scale
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:43:35 PM »
This is one of my unfinished projects, its been a real bugger to do.

I started off staring at a Bachmann 8-40CW in the LHS and they wanted $199.95 NZD for it.
I decided they could keep it with their weird scratched out hood doors  and proceeded to hatch a cunning plan.

It's not finished, I'm hoping to embarass myself into finishing it. I'm on my second mechanism - Kato mechs and Atlas shells don't quite fit so I changed to an Atlas mechanism and it fits a lot better. I did a lot of machining on the Kato one so its going to get decoderised.

Say what you think about it, have I got close enough for it to be recognised as an 8-40CW? Did I just waste a year?

cheers

Have at it

Oh the front sits too low which makes the bum go up and there's a small gap behind the cab and the paints a bit weathered on top and the fuel tank nearly hits the rails and I need to finish the handrails - gaaaahhhhh. and the trucks are wrong but they give a clue to what I used.
 ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:45:48 PM by kiwi_al »

nscalesteve

Re: Unfinished project - N scale
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:04:33 PM »
Kato mechs and Atlas shells don't quite fit...

welcome to the club...

...yeah that's because the Atlas shells ARE TOO NARROW !   ;)  (am I right Robb... ?)

it is looking good so far but what is this and what is it for... ?

btw: is it also so bloody gusty down in Wellington today - I've already have had powercuts twice today... ?

and Al do you know where in NZ I can buy POLLY Scale paint ? I have a source for Floquil up in AKL but I have no idea where to get POLLY Scale...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 11:34:47 PM by nscalesteve »

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 12:03:18 AM »
Aahhhh sharp eyes!!! mate!!

That's a BULLANT from hollywood foundry.

http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/

I was errr playing with it. It was going to fit into an old Lima MDT shunter / switcher but the flywheel gets in the way.

It runs a bit hot too.Can get a little herky jerky too, but if the track is really clean and the drivetrain lubed then it goes quite nicely for a while.

Have a peek at their website, I was thinking these would make good critter mechanisms but I think they need to evolve a bit.

If it was any windier down here I'd be flying through the air!! - very gusty!
I haven't seen Polly Scale down this way much, train shop had it but stocks Badger mainly from Walthers  and its expensive.
I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know if i see any.

Alister

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »
Kato mechs and Atlas shells don't quite fit...

welcome to the club...

...yeah that's because the Atlas shells ARE TOO NARROW !   ;) 

Oh yeah, everyone knows Atlas shells are underscale... :P