Author Topic: Bachmann 2-8-0 review  (Read 10174 times)

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bachmann 2-8-0 review
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »
I hate to say it, but this REALLY makes me want to jump narrow guage scales.  This is especially true since I don't even have a running model in Nn3 yet.  I think the Bachguy will be seeing me later, as I check the available line of On30.  If I can build at least 4 of the types of steam locomotive operated by Uintah Railway prior to 1935, On30 will be a very viable option.

Great work Tom.  Even if it didn't take you long - the work done to the undercarriage really makes it 'pop'.

Is the white on the steam dome bird crap, or mineral deposits?

This is just my personal preference, but I think she needs a bit more rust and neglect on the cab.  ;D
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 08:39:46 PM »
Robert,

Thanks.  I find On30 relaxing because the equipment is great, right out of the box.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 02:15:24 PM »
Tom
I think this is great!

Maybe the rods should be a little cleaner though, especially near the pistons where they're constantly sliding in and out of the cylinders.

3rdrail

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 04:07:30 PM »
Tom
I think this is great!

Maybe the rods should be a little cleaner though, especially near the pistons where they're constantly sliding in and out of the cylinders.
The only thing that remains polished at all times is the piston rod itself, from the crosshead to the piston. Now, the crosshead guides are polished on Alligator and most Laird crossheads, but also covered with grease. Everything else dirties up or rusts pretty darn fast. Don't forget, all the bearings require lubrication, which attracts dirt.