Author Topic: Con-Cor North Shore Electroliner possible  (Read 2955 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Con-Cor North Shore Electroliner possible
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:34:43 AM »
In the latest mag N-Scale Collector on the N Horizons pages highlighting the National Train Show Report by Charlie Vlk and Kirk Reddie , it is mentioned that the next Con-Cor Streamliner appears to be the North Shore Electroliner . Some months ago there was a thread asking " Whats the next streamliner from Con-Cor " . The Electroliner was my guess . Too bad I can't pick Lotto numbers this good .

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:37:01 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Con-Cor North Shore Electroliner possible
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »
What ever happened to retirement at Con-Cor?

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

This is what I just found on the web

"Announcing the Boss's Pre-Retirement Sale!
The Boss says he wants to Semi-Retire in about 2 years and so we have to reduce our product line by about 75% over the next 2 years.

You can get more information on our Pre-Retirement and Yard Sale Closeout items by Clicking Here:

"HO" and "N" Pre-Retirement Sale Details

**This does not mean we are going out of business, just going on a "low carb" diet to reduce inventory and concentrate on a limited number of staple items plus new items. "

Richie Dost

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »
The operative phrase is "semi-".  Jim Conway has indeed cut down on offerings and indeed seems to concentrate on one item at a time.

The Electroliner surprises me, though, as it was the first streamliner proposed, some years back, and axed because the HO version could not get enough reservations. Con-Cor never even opened N scale reservations.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:31:18 PM »
Maybe next a N scale triplex...

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »
Could it be that with the good reports of the looks and operating characteristics of the streamliners that they now have offered , Con-Cor might be willing to bet that there now may be a streamliner collector base that has been established , and being that they already did the R&D , it might now sell well , or enough to satisfy the offering at this time ?

Richie Dost

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 03:37:20 PM »
Maybe next a N scale triplex...

Somebody has offered one in HO IIRC .

Richie Dost

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:25:49 AM »
The Electroliner surprises me, though, as it was the first streamliner proposed, some years back, and axed because the HO version could not get enough reservations. Con-Cor never even opened N scale reservations.

They would still have the option to do that in N, if reservations don't materialize. I would have thought the old Turbo Train would have been a better choice. Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 07:32:41 AM »
I hope they do indeed come out with this.  The Electroliner also operated on third rail, so modeling without catenary would be possible.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »
I saw the Burlington Zephyr running on the Bantrak layout this weekend, and I gotta say, I was impressed.  I think Richie hit the nail on the head.  ConCor has established a well-engineered and nicely detailed precedent with the Zephyr, so people will be less hesitant to order a new streamliner sight unseen.

When they announced these things a couple years ago, I couldn't get past the image of their old RDC set, which was marginal at best.  I think the Zephyr has cured me of that.  Now I won't order one because I don't need one ;D.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

3rdrail

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
And, after the North Shore ceased operations, the two Electroliners moved East to run on the old Philadelphia & Western as LibertyLiners. 69th Street Terminal to Norristown was too short a run to use the kitchen, though. This was strictly a third rail operation.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
Although I recognize Con-Cor's importance to the development of N scale, it seems most of the recent efforts (MP15 aside) are focused on "niche" items that can bring in a high margin.

It is interesting that Kato's new GS4 appears to have a MSRP roughly half that of the last run of Concor's version of the same.

If this works for Concor more power to them, and I hope they stay away from any N&W locos!