Author Topic: Info on Green Saskatchewan Grain Car from FRTS  (Read 7468 times)

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Info on Green Saskatchewan Grain Car from FRTS
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 09:52:02 PM »
The only thing you can't do is paint it in the exclusively licensed scheme.

Don't know about Canadian law much, but if it's for personal use in the US it's not an issue. As long as there's no profit from it, so if a manufacturer chose to make 'em and give 'em away there would be no issue.

... but that's no longer personal use if you're distributing it, free or not. Certainly someone like Steve can make his own decals (looked nice btw) and paint his own for his own use. But selling or distributing either the model or the decals violates the copyright/license because that it most decidedly not personal use.

nscalesteve

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »
But selling or distributing either the model or the decals violates the copyright/license because that it most decidedly not personal use.

...aha, that's why I've got an eMail from the VP of the Saskatchewan Grain Car Company while my car was up for sale on eBay ?

ljudice

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 11:38:21 PM »
>>>got an eMail from the VP of the Saskatchewan Grain Car Company while my car was up for sale on eBay ?

LOL!!! They must not be too busy at the Saskatchewan Grain Car Company if their VP spends his/her time pouring over Ebay to find violations of their licensing agreement on which they have probably not collected a dime yet. 

BTW, on the government side, the deal is the brainchild of Minister Buckley Belanger - who is apparently kind of a dolt - and involved in several scandals:

http://www.newstalk650.com/index.php?p=ntnews&action=view_story&id=5242

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/005114.html

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 08:14:56 AM »
Steve: E-mail the guy back, tell him you've spoken with the "Dolt" ( btw - 10 points for correctly identifying this particular Sask minister - he's the poster boy for "duh") and thank him for his interest in your line of high quality, custom n scale products and tell him; with regret that after an initial prototype model was made and evaluated (your car on E_bay) it seems that there is virtually no redeeming qualities in the Sask. Grain Car Company's image or visual identity so you will be unable to accept any production orders - I'd then mention that a new, unheard of and completely untried firm called NARC may be able to help them if the Minister can excuse himself from whatever inquest he is currently being grilled by to negotiate a "not in the public interest" agreement.......

Or am I being cynical ?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 06:37:59 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 10:58:07 AM »

BTW, on the government side, the deal is the brainchild of Minister Buckley Belanger - who is apparently kind of a dolt - and involved in several scandals:

I don't think Mr. Belanger found that item but some of PWRS reps. Which is understanding that they srceen every possible outlet since they would lose money if somebody else (I am not pointing fingers at Steve) would ruin their business.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
It's a wonder what some good PR can do... it's ALSO a wonder what some not-so-good PR can do.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 08:35:17 PM »
the deal is the brainchild of Minister Buckley Belanger - who is apparently kind of a dolt

Anyone check to see if this guy's a member or related to a member of PWRS or any of its subsidiaries or its parent company(s)? Could be scandal #3? BTW, the more I read about PWRS, the more it sounds like a ponzi scheme, It's owned by 130 investors. How many people does it take to own and run a toy store, even a big one?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »
With "due respect" to good ol Buckley, I doubt he could figure out a "hook coupler" let alone engineer a scam to line his pockets using PWRS... I think we should to be careful about casting aspersions of that nature at PWRS, regardless of what one might think about them... "Buckley Brain bucket" on the other hand would have to step up on a ladder and gotten significant help to have figured that one out.....  ::) ;D

I think a previous poster is correct - someone at "Borg Central" (NARC/PWRS) caught wind of this and went to town. Never let it be said that all they do is produce cars and call you in the middle of the night to sell them.........
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 09:06:07 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

fieromike

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »
The only thing you can't do is paint it in the exclusively licensed scheme.

Don't know about Canadian law much, but if it's for personal use in the US it's not an issue. As long as there's no profit from it, so if a manufacturer chose to make 'em and give 'em away there would be no issue. Fat chance that would happen but it is a way around the PWRS domination of the scheme on the market.

I guess since the Saskatchewan authorities gave PWRS an exclusive license, we won't be seeing MT slapping it on one of their inappropriate models, like that god-awful Glasshopper car.

So.....  in theory......   one of the major manufacturers could sell you an undecorated car with a 'free' Saskatchewan paint scheme....

Or like one of the now defunct magazines did several years ago, give away a set  of decals as a "staple-in".  IIRC, they only did it once, but it was a nice set... especially for the price.

A link to mine (complete with weathering (dust)):
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u293/fieromike/100_0658.jpg

Mike