Author Topic: YATTAMTP: David K Smith on modeling intangibles  (Read 1573 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7960
    • Conrail 1285
YATTAMTP: David K Smith on modeling intangibles
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »
David has brought us another great editorial about his quest for modeling something that often gets overlooked in discussions, but is a fascinating approach to enjoying the hobby: modeling a mood.

Check it out, and make sure to post comments there (all you need is a google account)

http://ttamt.blogspot.com/

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: YATTAMTP: David K Smith on modeling intangibles
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 01:40:37 PM »
One of my favorite MR articles of all time is "Modeling a Mood", in the January 1989 issue.

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +651
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »
I agree with David.  Very few of us have the time, ability, and/or space to model an exact replica of a given area, location or site.  Therefore we are strive for a "sense" or a "feel" of what we are trying to model.  You can't model, for example, the Rocky Mountains.  So you create a model that inspires a "feeling" or a "mood" that reminds the viewer of the Rocky Mountains.  I model small towns in the Rockies during the transition era.  These towns had mostly seen the end of the boom times and were all very run-down.  I model the Rocky Mountains, but I also model a railroad struggling to succeed after the boom has passed it by.  If everything comes together, those viewing my layout come away feeling like they were there.  So yea, I model a mood.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 09:26:48 PM »
Dude, that really left a mark.  Why have I walked the remains of the old Beaufort and Morehead?  I have maps that show me where it went, pictures of almost the entire line as it looked when in operation.  I really didn't need to walk the whole line, especially since a lot of the surroundings have drastically changed in the past decade or so since abandonment.  Maybe it does give me a better sense of what I want to model.
Despite the years, the right of way that hasn't had houses built on it is still in very good condition, a testament to the maintanance of the railroad, even the part that in the end had become unprofitable to maintain.  As soon as the jet fuel was no longer shipped in through Radio Island, the railroad's real source of profit was gone, and the railroad itself was gone not long thereafter.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com