Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 326209 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Introductions
« on: October 08, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
We've had a ton of new members sign up recently, many of whom I don't recognize from other train forums.

If you like, introduce yourself, tell us your interests, and tell us how you got here and why you signed up. :)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:19:44 PM »
Tom:

I'm retired U.S. Navy. Went in in 1965 and retired in 1989 after 24 plus yuears.  I've modelec in N since the mid 60's and have had small layouts aboard ship (real small).  My interest in trains never went away but my modelbuilding did after I got married and had 2 boys.  For a few years I was into 1/35 military modeling (still got a bunch of unbuilt models).  Got back into N scale about 4 years ago and have yet to built a new layout.  Recently got into going with DCC equipped locos.  Got  a bunch of old 30 years old plus stuff setting around but am buying newer equipment.  I model PRR with some Reading and WM thrown in.  Since I grew up in the Cumberland Valley area of PA you can see why I model this.  Don't think I would ever get as good as the Reid Brothers in doing this section of PA thou.  My modeling skills are not what they used to be.  The older your eyes get the slower the work goes.  Happy modeling.
Bob Bufkin

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »
Hi , my name is Richie , and I have 4 other personalities , me too , yup thats me , so do I , ain't that the truth . For some unknown reason they keep calling me a pot head , yeah , oh you too , I thought it was just me , small world . I love trains , so do I , count me in , and thats the truth , yum yum.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:09:55 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »
I'm just here to see Tom Mann's head.  :)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »
I'm just here to see Tom Mann's head.

And I'm just here to make sure people see Tom Mann's head.

But seriously... I joined because The Railwire doesn't take things too seriously.

I'm interested in N and Z scale, and I'll be dabbling in T when it finally arrives. Favorite railroads are CNJ, Reading, NYC and most any other Northeastern line. Been modeling since 1965. No layout at present (unless you count a 1 x 3 foot Z scale shelf thingie).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:14:49 PM by dks2855 »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 10:16:34 PM »
Well, I've been on the Railwire for almost 4 years.  I kept seeing traffic on the Chicago Switching web site from here, and it turned out to be Ed posting links.  I decided to join.  

I like to do all kinds of modeling in all scales, and for this reason, building a layout seems like it's not in my best interests.  I really enjoy the photography aspects of the hobby, and like to model in enough detail to look good under a macro lens.  I started in N, but I've acquired some Z and On30 recently.  On30 has been a lot of fun.

Oh, I'm also here to see Tom Mann's head.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 10:29:36 PM »
Hmmm ... Tom weathers everything , and in return God will weather his head . :-\

Richie Dost

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:36:08 PM »
I'm here to see what that grinding noise is in Tom's Head.   ;D

Seriously, I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.   :-\  Yep, my wife has been slacking off so I come to this here place.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

ljudice

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:10:40 PM »
I'm Lou - I'm here because this is a place people will accept you when you say things like Microtrains cars are too high. I've been in N-scale for 30 years and have almost nothing to show for it (except a huge collection of stuff) because I constantly change my mind - sometimes in the middle of a thought. This only happens to me within the hobby...

I also post at the Atlas board, but frankly, this place seems a lot friendlier...

<<<--- I chose the idiot Mayor icon because I used to be an idiot Mayor of my township,
           until my kids kept asking "Dad, how come mayors are always portrayed on television as
           complete morons?"

Lou
 ;)

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »
Oh, I'm also here to see Tom Mann's head.

You do great models and all, but that little head icon in the address window (on Firefox) is just creepy  :D
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Lucas in Alaska

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 01:10:01 AM »
I'm Lucas,
 I've been around here for 2.5 years on and off. I'm now toying with the idea of going back to N from HO.

Interests are watching movies on my home made projector www.lumenlab.com playing any of the Halo games and enjoying my family wife and 3 kids.

Lucas
Sitka, Alaska

ñiao

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 01:30:58 AM »
My name is Claus. I am a German living on the island of Saipan in the middle of nowhere. Ñiao is the local word for brother-in-law (I am married to one of the beautiful island princesses).

I am into model trains on and off since I was 6 y/o (Märklin H0). In N-scale I am for about 15 years.
Besides his H0 Thomas layout, my son and I build a layout that was first meant to reproduce a bridge close to my hometwon in Germany. But meanwhile I fell in love with American prototypes, so I moved the layout to the Penn State (I showed an American co-worker around in our area, and she meant it'd look like Pennsylvania ... that's why).

I don't have much of a clue about the prototypes and care much for them as Landscape is more important to me. However, my layout is dated to 1968 .... so PRR, NYC and PennCentral material can run on the same track ("not repainted yet").

On the Atlas forum, I am around as Bundesbahn.

Some pictures of my layout can be found there:
http://cgbier.zenfolio.com/p1027864971/

railspike55

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 02:11:40 AM »
My name is Ron. I am located far from any real train modulers....at least an hour drive to the nearest LHS.  First loco was an HO RR Birk. NKP. Have been into N sence early 80's. Model too some extent NKP, N&W and some Chessie/ CSX. And Conrail...because of the nearness of Niagara Falls. Layouts are generic in nature to allow running the above roads. Ran with Ntrak for several years. Mostly steam and early diesals.

Most of my loco's are still infresh paint But! Tom Mann is slowly showing me the way to get dirty.

I migrated here from the Atlas borad as well for the talent avilable.
After a long day of taking tech calls for a high speed co. I need to unwind.

This is one place that makes or breaks my day!

Ron N.
Steam and Diesel in Transition

Ron N.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 05:48:15 AM »
You do great models and all, but that little head icon in the address window (on Firefox) is just creepy 

You mean there is a head I'm missing out on?  :(

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 08:15:32 AM »
I'm Lee, I live in Eastern Maryland and model the Western Maryland.  I've been lingering around train forums for about 6 or 7 years now, but this is by far my favorite.  Since there's a clot of us here in the Not So Free State, I've had the pleasure of meeting and running trains with a bunch of Railwire members, fondly referred to as "asshats".

Here's me (on the right) with Ed on a recent visit to Conrail Country.

I've seen a couple of comments about how we don't take things too seriously here... yet ironically, some of the most serious modelers I'm aware of are Railwire members.  I guess the key is we don't take ourselves too seriously.

Welcome to the Railwire, new members...
Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net