Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 325727 times)

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
Re: Introductions
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 02:04:25 PM »
Is it AC or DC (or maybe DCC)?

actually, it IS run by my transformer :)  So technically it's DC  LOL

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +651
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »
I'm David and I guess I'm one of those "newbies".  I got lured over here by a link on another forum (SRO) and was really impressed with what I saw here.  Lurked for awhile then finally posted.  I've been into N-Scale for about 20 years now.  Made my fair share of major mistakes in the process and managed to learn a thing or two along the way as well.  I'm now working on my 4th layout and this one is geared much more toward operations than any of the others.  With work and family, it may be 20 more years though before I get it finished.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5392
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Don't be shy, David... show off that Dusty Jct. layout... it's fantastic.  We also have a few guys here that are interested in that late 19th and early 20th century steam...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 05:24:16 PM »

There are more than a few really accomplished modelers that participate here, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. There's always room for humor on The Railwire.

Do I count?

Don't be shy, David... show off that Dusty Jct. layout... it's fantastic.  We also have a few guys here that are interested in that late 19th and early 20th century steam...

Lee
The problem is you might make Gregg all nostalgic with memories.

My name is John and I'm an N scaler with some (a Shay and covered hopper) HO.  I am interested in both steel mills and the local railroads, namely the original Norfolk Southern, Atlantic and East Carolina, and Beaufort and Morehead.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

mopaustin

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 07:54:26 PM »
Well, I'm Matthew, and am interested in both the Missouri Pacific as well as other Texas railroads, and narrow gauge railways, especially the the DRGW between Alamosa and Durango, as well as the branch to Farmington and the "Chili Line".

I'm planning on starting a 13' x 5' shelf layout based on either 1950s MoP or a freelanced West Texas railroad.

Sometimes TrainBoard just takes to long to browse (and load).

kevdog77

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »
I'm Kevin, and I've been lurking for a few years. I prefer The Railwire to the other forums out there, and somebody else hit the reason on the head. You guys don't take yourselves too seriously. I've seen some great modeling here, but you guys can bust each others' chops without people getting worked up over it.

I'm originally from Chicago, and am modeling the Chicago North Western's Dundee Sub, a neglected (and now abandoned) 5-10mph branch line from Elgin IL to Lake Geneva, WI in the late 70's. I'm experimenting with ways to make track look BAD. I love the look of low joints and high centers on weedgrown branchline track. Acheiving that look in N scale is a lot more difficult than I had hoped. . .

Anyhow, now that I've gotten this out of the way, I hope to have the guts to post some pictures of my progress in the future.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 08:37:52 PM »
I hope to have the guts to post some pictures of my progress in the future.

I hope you do, too, Kevin. I've also been trying to find ways to make track look really bad. It's a challenge.

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »
Received my first N scale set in 1969.  Have never really considered modeling in another scale.  Started scratchbuilding rolling stock and structures at the age of 12.  The results were fun then - even funnier now, looking back at it.  I did the proto freelance theme thing after the V&O hit the hobby press in the early 80's, but am now firmly planted in the prototype modeling camp and having a ball meeting people, learning about and doing things I likely would not otherwise have done.  AC&Y / NKP in Spencer, OH circa 1962 (+/-). "The Spencer Project" as I call it.  Great fun.  The layout is in sections right now due to a move but it will rise again someday, somewhere.

The Railwire continues to be a source of inspiration for my modeling efforts.  Great modeling, great people.  I've had to turn up my "good enough" controls a notch after seeing the work done here.  Thanks guys.

Steve

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 09:49:11 PM »
Proof that we don't take ourselves seriously is here: http://therailwire.net/smf/index.php?topic=13296.0

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
Oh yea, I rember that thread. You really need to use some Dullcote on that dome. It looks to ... new.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

womblenz

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 02:05:23 AM »
Well here goes nothing
 Hi i'm Warren and I live in New Zealand

Has so many others I had HO as a kid discovered N when I was about 20
Shortly after that live got in the way wife kids morgage so spent the next 20 years armchairing it

2 years ago last of the kids moved out brought another house and with it came the space to build a layout

I'm active on a couple of other forums but they are both smaller memberships I stumbled across this site while clicking on a link somewhere can't remember where then lurked for a while liked what i saw and decided to join

Cheers Warren

qantaqa

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2007, 04:47:33 AM »
My name is John Mann (no relation), and I'm in the northwest corner of Washington.  I've been into N since the 80s, off and on.

I'm on the verge of starting my Great Underground Empire -- 50's-60's west coast.  Currently I'm building a 4' x 6' layout, trying out the scenery thing which is kinda new for me, as I'm more familiar with wires and current.

Homebrewing, snowboarding, and videogaming are the other hobbies, and computers and construction are the money makers.

Cheers!
Q
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:41:19 PM by qantaqa »

ñiao

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2007, 07:16:51 AM »
Proof that we don't take ourselves seriously is here: http://therailwire.net/smf/index.php?topic=13296.0

Hmmm, off limits to me  :(

Skip

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2007, 07:29:43 AM »
Although I have been here for a while, few of you know me, so here goes.  I started in HO as most of us did as a child, but went to N scale many years ago, because being in the military and having little space, and on the move, I needed smaller.  I have built several different sized layouts (one actually slid under the bed when not in use, and now am in the process of building a new, prototypical layout.  I chose the Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville, a small shortline in upstate New York that ceased to exist in 1974.  My era will be the '50s. I chose it because I grew up in that area, and although I don't really remember the railroad, I remember the area.

Currently I live in southeastern Virginia after retiring from the Air Force.  I am president of the local N scale club. We do local train shows with both TTRak and NTrak modules.  I'll remind all again, but the World's Greatest Hobby is coming to our town the second weekend in February. (Hampton, VA)

My other hobby is photography, and although most of my pictures are of  my grandkids and their sporting events (all 10 of them and a great grandson) I hope to take some of my layout and trains when there is something to take pictures of.

I also attend a monthly operating session in Richmond, VA and really enjoy that.  Someday I hope to be able to operate on my new layout.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:58:13 AM by Skip »

nscalesteve

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2007, 07:46:59 AM »
Hmmm, off limits to me  :(

yeah you know, rookies haben da nichts verloren...   ;)
...pump up your post count and the sesam wird sich öffnen !

....stay cool and pump up your post count   8) 8)