Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 332918 times)

videobruce

• Crew
  • Respect: -2
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1290 on: January 21, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
I started in N scale back in the middle 70's. Dropped out a few years later due to numerous reasons (mostly moving).
I got back in it the late 90's for a few years. It was my 1st 'real' layout (scenery etc.), but it was small in a spare 10'x10' bedroom (I live in a double). I scrapped the layout due to the room being needed by my wife which came as a surprise.  :(

Now, since I bought the house I have lived in since '79, I decided to build a room in the unfinished basement around 10'x20' in 2011 when construction started on my 2nd N scale layout. Problem was I have underestimated the problems of mounting servos for turnouts (around 60 of them including many x-overs) and that is where I'm at now. 90% of the track is laid and has been since 2012, but I put a hold on the project until a year or so ago (I'm retired now) due to realizing I bit off more than I can chew with the original plan.  :facepalm:

The track is good, I've run test runs with engines, but no trains. The track is all Peco code 55 with power routed turnouts (self powered frogs). But the placement of the under table supporting structure hinders many mounting locations which I didn't plan for.  :oops:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:16:24 AM by videobruce »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5833
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #1291 on: January 21, 2022, 10:36:46 AM »
Been there, done that.  Simplify!  Pick a section of the layout and give it a good work over.  Track laying, wiring, ballast, scenery.  See what you have the most fun doing, then work your way around the railroad from there.  If you try to take on too much, it can get overwhelming.
Welcome aboard!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #1292 on: January 21, 2022, 01:37:58 PM »
+1
I started in N scale back in the middle 70's. Dropped out a few years later due to numerous reasons (mostly moving).
I got back in it the late 90's for a few years. It was my 1st 'real' layout (scenery etc.), but it was small in a spare 10'x10' bedroom (I live in a double). I scrapped the layout due to the room being needed by my wife which came as a surprise.  :(

Now, since I bought the house I have lived in since '79, I decided to build a room in the unfinished basement around 10'x20' in 2011 when construction started on my 2nd N scale layout. Problem was I have underestimated the problems of mounting servos for turnouts (around 60 of them including many x-overs) and that is where I'm at now. 90% of the track is laid and has been since 2012, but I put a hold on the project until a year or so ago (I'm retired now) due to realizing I bit off more than I can chew with the original plan.  :facepalm:

The track is good, I've run test runs with engines, but no trains. The track is all Peco code 55 with power routed turnouts (self powered frogs). But the placement of the under table supporting structure hinders many mounting locations which I didn't plan for.  :oops:

Welcome to the forum Bruce.
You might be able to solve your servo mounting problem by using linkages and placing the servo in some location that is free of support structure.  Here is an example of such installs on my friends layout. He also uses Peco switches, but the switch machines are Tortoise. Still, the concept shoudl work as well for servos.

Here the music-wire linkage is routed through white plastic tube.

Similar setup but the linkage is shorter

A see-saw type of linkage where the turnout is directly under one of the support structures. 

There are also flexible linkages available (usually used in remote controlled (RC) airplanes).

You might want to consider starting a new thread about your layout in the Layout construction section of the forum.
. . . 42 . . .

videobruce

• Crew
  • Respect: -2
« Reply #1293 on: January 31, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I'll look into starting a new thread. I didn't go the Tortoise route due to size & cost at over $15 per unit (in their 12 pack), that's 3x the cost of a servo and the mount. I have around 60 to mount.
Then there is space. The linkage is a nice idea, but that only adds more fussing around under the table. I think most turnouts where there is a space problem can be solved, but it's accessing those locations with a pair of hands.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:30:25 AM by videobruce »

mahcr450

• Respect: +3
« Reply #1294 on: February 11, 2022, 12:05:48 PM »
+2
Hi.  Looking to do a proper introduction before posting.  I'm Mike and have been modelling the MoPac in HO scale for about 40 years.  I definitely read more than I post.  I've had a lot of interest in 3D printing the last couple of years.  This forum has some of the best information on the topic when it comes to railroading.  I'm currently drawing the MoPac RS3 re-builds to GP12s as shell replacements for the Atlas models.  I hope to post more about that in the 3D print section.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6788
« Reply #1295 on: February 11, 2022, 01:34:19 PM »
+1
Hi.  Looking to do a proper introduction before posting.  I'm Mike and have been modelling the MoPac in HO scale for about 40 years.  I definitely read more than I post.  I've had a lot of interest in 3D printing the last couple of years.  This forum has some of the best information on the topic when it comes to railroading.  I'm currently drawing the MoPac RS3 re-builds to GP12s as shell replacements for the Atlas models.  I hope to post more about that in the 3D print section.

Welcome, Mike.  As for the MoPac, bring it and post often!  I'd like to see what you do with the GP12.  That'll be cool, as I love rebuilt first generation locomotives, e.g., the GP16 of my beloved Seaboard Coast Line/Seaboard System.  We'll enjoy following along.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

danoh

• Respect: +8
« Reply #1296 on: February 13, 2022, 11:42:52 PM »
+1
Might as well do my first post here.

Did this when I was a young teenager doing HO, and dropped out when I became a "old teenager".

Got back into it in N scale 30 years ago with my kids. They eventually lost interest, and life got in the way, and the 4x6 layout got banned to the garage. Still have it, but really don't have the room..... yet.

30 years later, I'm trying to get back into it on a much smaller layout - 2x6 (or 8 ) and do a switching layout and see if I have the heart to get back into it, now that I'm semi-retired. My primary interest is woodworking, but sometimes limited, due to my back. So I'm attempting this to keep myself busy sitting in a chair. Current plan is to do a combo "Time Saver / Inglenook (sp?)" setup. Gonna go off the deep end and try making my own turnouts. Stuff has been ordered, and is coming my way. Had to order from several different places, as many were out of stock, but were able to find stuff at other places.

Get this: The closest train store is 20 miles away, and is only open 3 or 4 hours a week, only on Saturdays and really crappy stock. There is a nice one about 30 miles away, but fighting traffic isn't my cup of tea right now. I'm sure many of you don't have a decent train place to go to within reasonable driving distance, so there is that.

Found this place from watching YouTube video's on N gauge layouts,  and following the links to the "black rabbit holes". Already have read some really good tips and referrals that I will use on the upcoming project, from this forum.

Much thanks to those that have made this forum so viable.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1159
« Reply #1297 on: February 14, 2022, 12:20:30 AM »
Might as well do my first post here.

Did this when I was a young teenager doing HO, and dropped out when I became a "old teenager".

Got back into it in N scale 30 years ago with my kids. They eventually lost interest, and life got in the way, and the 4x6 layout got banned to the garage. Still have it, but really don't have the room..... yet.

30 years later, I'm trying to get back into it on a much smaller layout - 2x6 (or 8 ) and do a switching layout and see if I have the heart to get back into it, now that I'm semi-retired. My primary interest is woodworking, but sometimes limited, due to my back. So I'm attempting this to keep myself busy sitting in a chair. Current plan is to do a combo "Time Saver / Inglenook (sp?)" setup. Gonna go off the deep end and try making my own turnouts. Stuff has been ordered, and is coming my way. Had to order from several different places, as many were out of stock, but were able to find stuff at other places.

Get this: The closest train store is 20 miles away, and is only open 3 or 4 hours a week, only on Saturdays and really crappy stock. There is a nice one about 30 miles away, but fighting traffic isn't my cup of tea right now. I'm sure many of you don't have a decent train place to go to within reasonable driving distance, so there is that.

Found this place from watching YouTube video's on N gauge layouts,  and following the links to the "black rabbit holes". Already have read some really good tips and referrals that I will use on the upcoming project, from this forum.

Much thanks to those that have made this forum so viable.

Welcome and enjoy your stay. When it comes to learning new skills a few months here are worth years on your own, but always remember most of us here will always nudge to take things a bit further.
-Al

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #1298 on: February 16, 2022, 12:33:03 AM »
+1
Been away for quite a while. No excuses, just life and all that goes with it!

Last Novemember I started going through everything and started doing maintenance on layout track, inspecting and doing what's needed on locos and rolling stock.

Great to be back running trains. Retirement sure helps the cause! 😆

Looking forward to catching up on things and being back here.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #1299 on: February 16, 2022, 05:02:32 AM »
Welcome to the active population of the forum. Judging by the overlubrication thread, you jumped right in.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

TomHolley

• Respect: +4
« Reply #1300 on: February 17, 2022, 07:20:42 PM »
+4
Hello, all. My name is Tom and I was lured to this site by Dave Foxx's fine kudzu modeling. I am a retired locomotive engineer (from NS) and am reentering the hobby after a 40 year absence. It is a steep learning curve, and I am hoping to learn a some things here.

I model the Central of Georgia in the years after the merger with the Southern in 1963. I also retired from the old Central side of the NS, and am a third generation CG employee. My planned layout is based on Union Springs,AL. My modeling knowledge is slim, but I do know a little bit about the prototype. Reach out if I can help.

Regards,

Tom

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #1301 on: February 18, 2022, 07:28:14 AM »
@TomHolley,

Thanks, Tom!  I really appreciate that compliment.  As we discussed through PMs, I (and I'm sure others) will look forward to seeing your plans and following along in the construction of your layout.  We do like to live vicariously around here, and I do loves me some CoG and SOU.  I'm certain that your railroading experience will be invaluable for those of us that lack that knowledge.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1595
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1302 on: February 18, 2022, 08:24:34 AM »
@TomHolley - welcome aboard! the coffee is perking on the potbelly stove and the box of Krispy Kreme's should be fresh enough.  We can't wait to learn more about your career and how it informs your modeling, and if you can get kudzu better then DFF I'm sure we have a prize for that.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #1303 on: February 18, 2022, 08:30:09 AM »
+2
@TomHolley - welcome aboard! the coffee is perking on the potbelly stove and the box of Krispy Kreme's should be fresh enough.  We can't wait to learn more about your career and how it informs your modeling, and if you can get kudzu better then DFF I'm sure we have a prize for that.

@Philip H,

Haha!  If it doesn't move quickly, I can kudzu it.

:D :D :D

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

traintraxuk

• Respect: +2
« Reply #1304 on: May 27, 2022, 06:15:38 AM »
+2
Hello,

New member in the UK here. I've been modelling in OO gauge for about 10 years.

At the beginning of this year I took over running Train Trax, an online shop selling Kato N gauge. I've realised that I have a lot to learn about North American prototypes so I thought I'd join a few forums to expand my horizons a bit.

Best wishes,