Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 326247 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1275 on: January 26, 2021, 05:29:20 PM »
Welcome all .. looking forward to seeing what you all are up to ..

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #1276 on: January 26, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »
+1
Welcome Mike and welcome biker_ray! We hope you will like what you find here.

Mike, your story sounds familiar - I am also using Kato Unitrak for a helix and Atlas c55 everywhere else...

Ray, we're almost neighbors - I live in DuBois.  Once I get a little farther along in my layout construction, you are welcome to drop by - perhaps this spring or summer will work out. Not to mention, it's good to see someone besides me who still uses a 20-year old Lenz system...   :D

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

biker_ray_pa

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1277 on: January 26, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »

Ray, we're almost neighbors - I live in DuBois.  Once I get a little farther along in my layout construction, you are welcome to drop by - perhaps this spring or summer will work out. Not to mention, it's good to see someone besides me who still uses a 20-year old Lenz system...   :D

Ron

Count on it! Incidentally, I was born in DuBois at the old Maple Avenue Hospital, lived in Brockway for a while as well. My parents both worked in DuBois for many years.
Never force it; get a bigger hammer.

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #1278 on: January 27, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »
+1
Count on it! Incidentally, I was born in DuBois at the old Maple Avenue Hospital, lived in Brockway for a while as well. My parents both worked in DuBois for many years.

I can walk to that hospital...I'm guessing you won't have any trouble finding my place.   8)

By the way, they are doing a major renovation/expansion to that building, apparently converting it to a rehab center. The primary hospital on the other side of town is also expanding as it's becoming a "regional" health center.
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +139
    • N-Possible
« Reply #1279 on: February 01, 2021, 07:03:14 PM »
+2
Ok, well an introduction is probably in order... I’ve been lurking around here a couple of months and I’ve seen there is a great deal of talent around here.

I’ve been in the hobby since I was a kid, I was pretty active for many years in my younger years ~15-20 years ago, but with life and family model railroading took a bit of a back seat for a while. I did a fair bit of modeling in terms of building trains themselves, building my own DCC system in the mid 90’s and so on although I never did build a layout of substance.

Due to a confluence of interests and factors I’ve decided to switch scales and prototype, which brings me to this place as it seems to be a great resource for N scale. It’s a pretty big deal for me as I’ve amassed a pretty large HO scale collection over the years that I now need to divest of for both cash and physical space, but I’m committed at this point as I’m pretty sure I can achieve my objectives satisfactorily in N scale.
I started dabbling in N scale only in October, but I’ve been somewhat busy… I’ve amassed some appropriate models for my modeling prototype and I’ve been doing a lot of playing. I’m doing a lot of foundational work to get me used to working in a smaller scale and determine what standards I’m going to set for my future layout. 

Seems the first thing is to build a HCD layout, and I’ve done something similar I’m calling the “foam 4.5 x 9.5”. It objective really is to set standards so that I know what will/won’t work with respect to an operating layout, and can I live with the appearance of certain things, with the objective to apply what I’ve learned to a larger layout build, particularly track and couplers, although I want to test block detection and signaling too as that’s a major area of interest.

Really, I think the whole hobby would be better described as “model train coupling” rather than “model railroading” as it seems to be the crux of the hobby in any scale, but I digress…

Recluse Ridge RR

• Respect: +8
« Reply #1280 on: February 01, 2021, 11:17:20 PM »
+3
Greetings.
Thanks for allowing me in.
I've been a model railroader practically my whole life. An N scaler since 1994.
I was part of the old Atlas Forum, Trainboard, N Scale Talk and even this place way back when the internet didn't try to ruin your life on a daily basis.
Then again, there was that UP Modeler guy...
So anyhow, I'm back. Would like to say better than ever but I'd be lying. The old layout is coming along though. Been at it 15 years. Still not done but getting there.
The latest incarnation is The Recluse Ridge Railroad. Used to be BNSF and Union Pacific but recently switched over to CN and CP. I'll post some photos sometime.

jugtown modeler

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1281 on: February 04, 2021, 12:40:10 PM »
+3
Maybe it is finally time for an introduction.
I have been lurking here for almost 10 years admiring and following quite a few of you.
From the western side of NJ near the old Lehigh Valley / NS line and Pattenburg Tunnel. Jugtown is the nickname of the mountain the tunnel runs through.

A model maker by profession, first as architectural, then as industrial design modeler and then ventured on my own to provide model masters in the giftware industry. Franklin Mint style architectural tchotchkes, covered bridges and barns, etc. That dried up as industry consolidation and overseas production eventually swallowed domestic masters production.
All these skills contributed nicely to a life long passion to scale modeling. But indecisiveness, procrastination, overthink along with many interests and family life has not produced much but collecting, armchair modeling and a slew of partially finished stagnated projects.
N scale is my primary interest and long term goals and on the bench is a Nn3 pizza tribute to Carl Arendt. Have the itch to get moving on this again.
I am interested in a modular club but not willing to drive the distances involved yet. There has been some interest in a FreeMoN and hoping it gets some momentum.
Also have some small Diorama/module/Micro layouts in mind, narrow gauge in any scale, but a narrow gauge brass HOn vertical boiler climax has been nagging me for a place to call home.
An affinity for critters and boxcabs rounds out my rail related interests. Just need some focus and follow through.

Thanks for reading. Hope to contribute soon although, in my mind, the bar is set fairly high here and I won't post prematurely...
-Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #1282 on: February 04, 2021, 04:59:40 PM »
Steve, Recluse Ridge, and turbowhiz: welcome into the ranks of actively-posting members of the Railwire. TRW now has three more talented members.  I'm sure you will all provide valuable contributions to this forum, and of course pick up some good advice from other members.
. . . 42 . . .

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1283 on: February 05, 2021, 10:40:23 AM »
@jugtown modeler @Recluse Ridge RR @turbowhiz @biker_ray_pa @MSteiner @gi-depp

Welcome all.  Start throwing up posts in Weekend Update so we can see your progress.  Start at Layout Engineering thread and let us see the magic as it happens.  Toss out some Proto Photos to help us all improve through great reference materials.

We are glad you are here.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #1284 on: February 11, 2021, 11:00:28 PM »
Greetings Steve, Recluse Ridge and turbowhiz!  I started posting just two years ago after lurking for a while.  This is a great site to get inspiration, to ask questions and to get answers.  I really look forward to seeing your first posts!  Bob

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #1285 on: February 14, 2021, 10:56:26 PM »
Welcome to the the virtual club Steve.

Once the global "event" is cleared up I do think its high time a lot of us in the Mid Atlantic should get together and try to get some kind of FreeMon thing started.
-Al

TiogaTracks

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
« Reply #1286 on: May 14, 2021, 11:02:47 PM »
+2
Hello Railwire crew, thanks for letting me in (again)!  I was last here as a teenager, under the screen name Nscale1700.  My interests moved around quite a bit, wandering for a while into full-scale (volunteering at a trolley museum).  And along the way, I picked up a 1951 Brill bus that I’m still slowly restoring, so 1:1 scale will still be a thing for me.

But what brought me back here is my Large-scale outdoor railroad plans.  I’m hoping to recreate bygone scenes and operations from near my home in north-central PA, focusing on the Wellsville Addison & Galeton and its interchange with the Penn Central.  I’m all for a bit of “better modeling through peer pressure,” so I hope you don’t mind some content from an under-represented scale.

I hope to be able to share my recent rolling stock detailing and decaling projects, especially the PC U-25B that I’m quite proud of.  Maybe I’ll be able to post photos by the time I get to my next project (a PC RS3).

Thanks again and have a great day everyone!

-Steven

Wellsville Addison & Galeton RR in 1:29
Still dabbling in N scale
Restoring a full size 1951 Brill bus

J_Von_Random

• Respect: +3
« Reply #1287 on: June 02, 2021, 09:31:47 PM »
+3
Hello everyone!

Used to read TRW a few years ago (2011-2015ish?), but drifted away from model railroading due to not having any ability to build a layout. I'm getting ready to move soon which will allow some layout space.

Interested in modern era, loooong trains, Norfolk Southern, midwest, terminal railroads. Want to build something with some realistically shallow curves. Also scratchbuilds of certain unique locomotives.

At some point I'd like to get into either proto:48 or proto:64 with a small switching layout.

Allegheny1600

• Respect: +1
« Reply #1288 on: August 05, 2021, 07:35:00 AM »
Hi folks,
Thanks for adding me to your roster!
My name is John Edge, 50+ yo, married etc and a former English guy, now living in Greece. I’ve spent a lot of time in Europe altogether and this is where I’d like to spend the rest of my life. The weather and scenery here is just really, really great as are the people but the food is simply awesome!
Railway wise, I am pretty much wedded to H0 scale, I’ve done N in the past as well as 0 scale and H0 just works for me although I do appreciate the possibilities of Z scale. I model US outline, mainly C&NW but with an interest in the SP, EJ&E, L&N, BAR and KCS! I also model several European railways, this includes British (still in H0 - not the awful oo scale!).
I haven’t got a house yet but when I do, it will have a basement so I can build a multi deck layout.
Cheers for now,
John

Pamela Clapp

• Crew
  • Respect: +140
« Reply #1289 on: September 08, 2021, 03:27:51 PM »
+2
So many interesting stories and so fun to see how most of you got started in model railroading. I started as a secretary working for a publishing company and I never even realized at such a young age anything about the hobby. Now I own the publishing company and publish N-Scale Magazine. N-Scale Magazine started in 1989 and is still going strong. I hope that some of you will take a look. If you are interested in subscribing, please go to www.nscalemagazine.com
You will like what you see. N-Scale Magazine covers everything N scale from modeling and weathering, DCC, electronics, layouts from around the world, modules, scratchbuilding, new products and reviews and more. Nice to meet all of you. What a great hobby.