Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 332915 times)

TMatt253

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1245 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »
+1
Hi all,

I'll keep it short and sweet. I've been a reader of the site for awhile as a guest and finally joined with the intention of starting a thread for my n-scale layout. Recent graduate of college so some time for the layout and the elusive blog seemed to be more available, alas I joined a couple months ago and I'm finally getting around to get this started.

I originally got into model railroading with HO scale as a little kid, but renovations to the house and being a just a kid at the time the trains went into storage without much debate. A few years ago I wanted to get back into the hobby and try my hand at a layout, and n scale seemed to be the perfect fit. And now here I am! I hope to be a meaningful contributor and likewise I hope being a part of the forum can teach me new techniques and motivate me to model to new heights.

Trevor

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #1246 on: March 18, 2020, 09:53:06 PM »
Welcome aboard @TMatt253
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #1247 on: March 18, 2020, 09:56:07 PM »
Welcome Trevor!  You will find lots of information on this site, and many people who take the time to answer questions.  Best, Bob

TMatt253

• Crew
« Reply #1248 on: March 18, 2020, 11:08:46 PM »
Thank you for the welcome replies!

Now this may seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer for the life of me - how many posts do I need before starting a thread in the layout engineering report section?

Thank you in advance and apologies for my rookie move with this one haha.

Trevor

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #1249 on: March 18, 2020, 11:53:15 PM »
Thank you for the welcome replies!

Now this may seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer for the life of me - how many posts do I need before starting a thread in the layout engineering report section?

Thank you in advance and apologies for my rookie move with this one haha.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,
I saw that you did successfully post a message in the Layout Engineering section.  I wonder if it is the photos that cause you trouble.

If you go to the FAQ section ( https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=41.0 ), there is a sticky thread which shows all the new member's limits/restrictions. But it also might be possible that Tom has introduced some new restrictions.
. . . 42 . . .

TMatt253

• Crew
« Reply #1250 on: March 19, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
@peteski thank you, this is what I had been looking for!

GRWeldon

• Respect: 0
New Introduction
« Reply #1251 on: April 24, 2020, 06:17:22 PM »
Good day!  My name is Glen and I'm an addict...to model railroading!

My first N-scale layout was a gift when I was 8.  A Bachmann starter set with a small circle of track.  I remember running trains in circles for minutes on end getting bored and putting it away, yet I was fascinated with the mechanisms.  I was given a Lionel set in 1973 that included 2 switches.  Again, I played for about an hour before I got bored.  I don't know what happened to the majority of that set, but I still have the loco and 4 cars with an oval of track.

I never really left model railroading and always kept a small collection of locos and rolling stock.  In 1987 after college and the military, I started building a layout in my mother-in-law's attic.  I kept working on it until I moved my wife out of her mother's house half a year later.  I bought some more locos, one of which is the famous Bachmann DD40X.  Imagine that on 11" radius curves! That was the last layout I had until...well...now.  I did purchase a DCC system in 2013 and a small oval of Kato Unitrack.  Of course this was a great reason to buy more locos and rolling stock!  I experimented with drop-in and hard-wired decoder installation and the oval stayed set-up on the formal dining room for about 3 months, then again, I put everything away. I kept buying locomotives however!

About 8 weeks ago I decided to go modular with the Free-moN standard.  I joined the Facebook groups and got myself signed up to bring my new modules to the NSE convention in Nashville in late June.  And then the Corona virus thing happened and here we are.  All the gatherings and conventions have been cancelled, but I'm still working on my modules!  I have one eight-foot module in two sections that have gathered about 120 man-hours of my time in the last 2 months.  I'm an old dude so it has taken me much longer than I would have thought, but I'm having fun and planning what my next modules will look like.  I really intended to be running with other folks but I can't seem to find anybody near me who is interested so I'll make a layout that I can run by myself if I have too!  It feels good to be working on a layout again!

Thanks!
Glen Weldon
Link to Central Alabama Free-moN Model Railroading:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2520744014861019/?ref=bookmarks

In 2013

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5833
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #1252 on: April 24, 2020, 06:25:48 PM »
+1
Just what we need around here, another WELDON!

Hi Glen!  I can't help but wonder if there's not some distant relationship.  My branch of the Weldons come from around Wilmington, Delaware and Penn's Grove, NJ, having come to these shores from Ulster back in 18 diggity doo.  My grandfather had several brothers, but other than Uncle Lee (for whom I was named) who moved to Florida late in life, I don't believe any of them landed in Alabama.

Anyway, great to have you on board.  Our stories are similar, always a loop of track somewhere in the house.

I've probably seen your postings on the Facetoobs, but there's so many of them to follow, who knows?

Looking forward to seeing you around the water cooler.
Lee Weldon
Easton, Maryland
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1595
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1253 on: April 24, 2020, 09:55:02 PM »
Welcome aboard from Coastal Mississippi!  The coffee pot is belching in the corner. Start posting in Layout Engineering Report, add something to Weekend Edition.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #1254 on: April 28, 2020, 09:47:10 PM »
+3
Hi.
Long time TRW reader that is constantly inspired by the quality of ideas & modeling on display here.
Iā€™m one year into building a 9ā€™ x 25ā€™ multi level n scale, steam era version of a SP Oregon coast branch line.   Hope to start sharing more of my progress soon.
Cheers
Michel

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1595
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1255 on: April 29, 2020, 08:18:53 AM »
@MDW - welcome aboard!  SP Oregon coast sounds fun no matter what era.  We will be looking forward to your Douglas Firs and your pounding surf.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

ATSF160

• Respect: 0
« Reply #1256 on: May 24, 2020, 10:26:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I have recently gotten back into both railfanning and N-Scale. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, I had a business offering special run N-scale containers. It was more fun than profitable. I shut it down, and put everything away about 17 years ago...got married, had kids. Now they are respectively married and off to the Air Force. I am divorced so have lots of time and more money on my hands.

My username reflects my main interest, and what I plan to model in N. I am learning about DCC, all the new manufacturers and products, etc., so I will be looking for the latest info here.

And I now live in Southern Arizona, and chase trains as often as possible. Looking for railfan buddies to join up with periodically.

Thanks for having me!

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +527
« Reply #1257 on: May 24, 2020, 10:46:56 PM »
Welcome Mark.  You will find a whole lot of good info in this forum from a whole lot of good people.  The skills, expertise, knowledge and the willingness to lend a hand/advise I have found and benefited from here always astounds. 
Steve

dgreger

• Respect: +2
« Reply #1258 on: June 15, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
+2
Dave here, Marines 88-92, Gulf War, DOD from 92-2012,
N-Scaler, working on building my collection until my GF and I retire, sell and move to a more train friendly house to start a layout.
All manner of B&O, C&O, Chessie System, and Western Maryland freelance.

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +686
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #1259 on: June 15, 2020, 01:37:04 PM »
Welcome Dave.  Lurk away, but don't be afraid to post what you have.  The feedback you get from here will improve your modeling and knowledge.