Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 154975 times)

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1080 on: June 14, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
Thanks John  :D
*As a big man once said "well..... 90% plus accurate to me is 100% ok."

metalworkertom

• Respect: +9
« Reply #1081 on: July 03, 2017, 04:22:58 PM »
+3
Tom Walker here I started collecting N Scale Gulf Mobile and Ohio Engines and rolling stock as well as Structures ans Scenery items in around 1998. # years ago I started my layout based on the Atlas Scenic and Relaxed . Almost from the start I knew it would expand. Currently a U shaped layout 80x60x80 or so. With Biloxi Ms at one end and Mobile Al yard at the other. Modeling GM&O , ICG and IC. Some regional roads in there for interchange. Future expansions already planned to add Logging West of Biloxi in Ponchatoula La. And the nearby sand and Gravel operations of the Louisiana Eastern are my excuse for Steam Locomotives. Other hobbies include Blacksmithing and Casting metals and other metalwork. Which searching for info on scratch building N scale steam lead me to this forum.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +271
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #1082 on: July 06, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »
Welcome aboard, Tom!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1083 on: July 06, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
With Biloxi Ms at one end and Mobile Al yard at the other. Modeling GM&O , ICG and IC. Some regional roads in there for interchange. Future expansions already planned to add Logging West of Biloxi in Ponchatoula La. And the nearby sand and Gravel operations of the Louisiana Eastern are my excuse for Steam Locomotives. Other hobbies include Blacksmithing and Casting metals and other metalwork. Which searching for info on scratch building N scale steam lead me to this forum.

@metalworkertom - Welcome.  Being a Louisiana native (now living in Pass Christian) I know your modeling grounds well.  Can't wait to see some ICG pictures on Weekend update, I and I am quite sure your metal working skills will be well received in the Crew Lounge (onc eyou pass the 25 post threshold).

Since you expanded to Ponchatoula - have you found a good way to model strawberries?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

metalworkertom

« Reply #1084 on: July 06, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »
@metalworkertom - Welcome.  Being a Louisiana native (now living in Pass Christian) I know your modeling grounds well.  Can't wait to see some ICG pictures on Weekend update, I and I am quite sure your metal working skills will be well received in the Crew Lounge (onc eyou pass the 25 post threshold).

Since you expanded to Ponchatoula - have you found a good way to model strawberries?
 No Strawberries yet, working on N scale Oyster shells currently. I lived in Pass Christian for about 15 years actually in the county of of Cable Bridge road.

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1085 on: July 06, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »

No Strawberries yet, working on N scale Oyster shells currently. I lived in Pass Christian for about 15 years actually in the county of of Cable Bridge road.

I look forward to the oysters.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

Jbub

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #1086 on: July 14, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
+3
Hello all! I think it's time for me to introduce myself as I have been lurking the site for a few months now. I'm finding you guys to be entertaining in your banter back and forth and I have to say the a$$ hatery :ashat: here is top notch! :trollface: I've also found you guys to informative and helpful with your knowledge and expertise in the hobby.
My name is Jason and I live outside of Salt Lake City, Bountiful to be exact. I don't have a home layout as of yet (nowhere to put it) but I do belong to Wasatch N Scale Model Railroad Club (Yes Nato, it is me) and have a 12 foot canyon themed module that I'm still working on and take to the local shows. I do enjoy the hobby very much, much to the chagrin of the wife and wallet.  I'm looking forward to possibly meeting some of you next year at the convention. Just be forewarned though, we have weird liquor laws in Utah. And that's coming from a guys who doesn't drink.

Peace out

Jason
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1087 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »
@Jbub - Welcome.  The coffee pot is down for its friday cleaning, but we'll get it perking soon enough. meanwhile you can pull up a chair and start a thread on your module in the Layout Design forum.  Start taking and posting pictures in Weekend Update.  Once you cross 25 posts, you too contribute to the  :ashat: in Crew Lounge.

cheers!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +441
« Reply #1088 on: July 14, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »
... Just be forewarned though, we have weird liquor laws in Utah. And that's coming from a guys who doesn't drink.

Ha! Welcome aboard, Jason.

Yeah, our kid just completed a one-year assignment in SLC. He doesn't drink, either, but frequently regaled us with observations after encountering each of the many silly protocols surrounding adult beverages. Maybe I should have him write-up a "You won't believe this, but..." guide to drinking in Utah for the convention attendees.

:D :facepalm:
...mike

http://www.railfancentralia.com
http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

"I used to blame the dryer for shrinking my clothes. But then I found out it was the refrigerator."

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1030
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #1089 on: August 15, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
Currently a U shaped layout 80x60x80 or so.

Feet or inches? Cause a layout of that size in feet would be AMAZING!!

Also, if you're into steam engines, I MUST put in a plug for the book @mmagliaro and I have worked on (along with many others):
http://ntrak.org/Steam2016/index.html

Jbub

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #1090 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »

Also, if you're into steam engines, I MUST put in a plug for the book @mmagliaro and I have worked on (along with many others):
3d layout? 80 feet high, how many decks would that end up being? I think you could model and entire sub to scale with that much space.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

metalworkertom

« Reply #1091 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »

Sorry it is inches . No plug needed I've been eyeing the 2016 book as well as others since I learned of them through this Forum. I will have to share some Pics of my layout soon. I'm about 3 years into it currently , it started as one of the busy Atlas plans The Scenic and Relaxed which I made a bit busier and added on to. I will be moving around the first of the year and may make changes then. Here is my current track plan , the Passenger Terminal shown on the Plan is not yet built and may not be depending on what happens with move.

longbow64

• Respect: 0
« Reply #1092 on: November 17, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
Howdy all from OKC area. I have had my model rr switch thrown back on.  I had N scale stuff when I was 13-15. Never did much with it 'cept drive it around in circles. 2 years ago my wife sold all of my train stuff at a yard sale and I hadn't looked back since.  Now all of a sudden 2 months ago, I wanted back into trains. I was raised in Basalt, Co. and thought that doing a model of Basalt would be cool. I loved Jeeping up the old road bed when I was little and thought "what a great rr to model". So, here I go. Finding Colorado Midland stuff is next to impossible so I am going to have to fudge it some. Hope you all will help an "old" newbie get started again.  Thanks, Stu

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +879
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #1093 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:15 PM »
Welcome to our insane asylum Stu!  Assuming that you lurked here for a while, you know what to expect from the regulars.  :D  It is a fun place with lots of (mostly) good advice and good-natured humor.  Hopefully you'll have fun too.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

longbow64

• Respect: 0
« Reply #1094 on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
So...here is my plan.  The size is 125x121 inches on the long parts.  The tunnel is 8" higher than the rest of the layout with lots of rock work and cliffs, trees and other scenery. hope you enjoy.  stu