Author Topic: Athearn Greyhound Challenger Locomotive.  (Read 1792 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
Athearn Greyhound Challenger Locomotive.
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:49:35 AM »
  I recieved my Athearn Greyhound Challenger locomotive from Caboose Hobbies today. This makes 3 locos that I now own. The Two-Tone Gray scheme is quite well done,but is marred by the Smoke Deflrectors atleast on my locomotive. They seem to be attached to the running boards slightly lowered at the front so the yellow stripe on the edge of the boards appears to gentely curve or droop down near the front. I guess some way could be found to gently bemd evetything up at that end. The complaints we had about blank number shields on smokebox fronts has been adressed. My locomotive 3977 has numbers and edging applyed to the shield, very hard to see on the gray locomotive, on the  graphite front of a black fteight loco a black shield with white numbers probably shows up better. The oil bunker in the tender is the same modern one used on 3985 original bunkers featured one round filler hatch and lid and a short vent pipe located near the front. The Factory Default Sound Levels come set to High not Medium as on my previous locos, so I will have to turn them down. My locomotive runs fine going forward although the boiler was not always returning to center line after going through curves. It was really not centering when backing up, I carefully rebent 2 small wires under the smokebox , that appeared to be binding and solved this problem. My larger problem though, locomotive will not back up at a slow speed only at a medium speed. My other two locos will creep around the layouts not always clean track in reverse no sweat. When running in reverse at medium speed the locomotive sometimes comes to a sudden stop, but is still getting power as it is hissing steam sound,and you then have to re ramp up the speed to get going again. My Delema is this should I let my friend and Challenger expert Bob Gilmore (who has one dis assembled right now for detailing and 2 converted to shortened draw bars ) look at it to see if we can solve the problem, should I fill out the Warentee card and send loco to Athearn for replacement,or should I not fill out card and return complete loco to Dealer(Caboose) for replacement?    Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake,Utah. "This Post probly should have been reply to 2nd Run post."

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +971
Re: Athearn Greyhound Challenger Locomotive.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
You could call Athearn and ask what they suggest . Thats how I found out that it was alright to mail my Challenger pizza cutters wheels to them and what I should write on the box . The lady was very helpful , understanding , and knowledgeable of my/their problem .

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:43:36 AM »
  Thanks for the advice,however in doing further testing today I discovered that my locomotive really is ok. I was trying to run it at the same throttle settings as my other 2 locomotives. However with the sound level set up to High it requires more power in DC mode to start and run similar to the Precission Craft E-7 diesels on DC . Turning down the sound to medium, not easy to do on my wireless Radio Throttles mixed with the locos hand held, lets it run at the same settings as my other 2 which have the sound set to medium as Factory Default. With the sound up High when backing up at the same speed settings as the other locos it is right on the stall out speed as it runs, creating the glitching I was encountering. If I had sent my loco either back to the Dealer or direct to Athearn they would have said my locomotive was perfectly good and thought i was slightly "Off Track" .So now its' time to fill out my Product Registeration card and send it in.                                                                                    Nate Goodman (Nato).                                               

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +971
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Interesting , I was unaware that the sound volume had a direct effect on loco performance characteristics . Thank you .