Author Topic: TTAM: Tuesdays are Gray, Tom shows us how to be black  (Read 1546 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
TTAM: Tuesdays are Gray, Tom shows us how to be black
« on: October 02, 2007, 10:32:59 AM »
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or the weathering forum, and I guess it'll depend on where the comments end up taking us, but I wanted to let you all know that our own Tom Mann has put his fingers to the keyboard and written us our first post on real modeling over on TTAMT.

Tom explores weathering the hardest of colors to weather: black.

Check out how he does it: http://ttamt.blogspot.com

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: TTAM: Tuesdays are Gray, Tom shows us how to be black
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:14:58 AM »
Ed, do you have permission to use that photo? You know, you really need to be careful about that...  ::) :P
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:46:37 PM »
Thats a different way that looks great . I had read years ago when in HO that fade was very hard to do after the model is painted , as Tom states as well . It said to add white to black or any other color before spraying it . The fade will then be there , and the weathering can begin . I had some great success with that method , though my weathering left a lot to be desired . I used that method , engine black , faded with white , then sprayed for the roof and under sill area on those W&LG doodle bugs . I have even gone so far fading that some of my steamers in HO were a touch too faded for my liking and had an almost grayish hue to them under certain lighting conditions . The truss bridges I converted to N and were also with that method .
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:48:29 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:24:37 PM »
Actually, Polly-S Dust does the trick quite well...
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."