Author Topic: SERIOUS THREAD - into trains but know nothing?  (Read 5260 times)

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
SERIOUS THREAD - into trains but know nothing?
« on: September 24, 2007, 01:43:52 PM »
i have been coming across more and more people who are into model trains but no knowing about the prototype - and several are proud of that fact.  i don't quite understand what's going on here.  i'm not talking about knowing what cars were used by the PRR in 1967, but more general, like EMD and GE make locomotives or the caboose is no longer needed or that the New Haven is no longer a railroad...

can someone shed some light on this for me?

-'67 scratchin' my head
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

3rdrail

Re: SERIOUS THREAD - into trains but know nothing?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:59:32 PM »
There have always been people who consider their ignorance a source of pride. If modeling railroad trains does not create a desire to learn more about the prototype, why should it matter to others?

I personally think part of the reason this has become obvious is that the distinction between model railroading and for lack of a better definition "tinplate trains" has become blurred. There were always people who put up their Lionel sets on a piece of 5x9 plywood (remember those?) and had lots of fun running them. They cared nothing about the prototype.  Scale trains were only available as kits that required a little knowledge to assemble. Now, there is little or no distinction between scale and tinplate.

Many of us feel they are missing out by not increasing their knowldge of what we consider a fascinating business - and it IS a business - but as long as they increase the size of the market, why should we care??

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 02:05:10 PM »
I's partially guilty of this.  With marriage and family I didn't get much railfanning done for the past 30 years.  By biggest problem is that the locomotives of today look so much alike I can hardly tell what's what.  If the past I could tell one unit from another.  I am somwhat suprised by the remarks some people make on the photos I post, in that they have never seen this or that before and what is it.  \
Bob

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +971
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:20:50 PM »
i have been coming across more and more people who are into model trains but no knowing about the prototype - and several are proud of that fact.  i don't quite understand what's going on here.  i'm not talking about knowing what cars were used by the PRR in 1967, but more general, like EMD and GE make locomotives or the caboose is no longer needed or that the New Haven is no longer a railroad...

can someone shed some light on this for me?

-'67 scratchin' my head

The more we know , the more we think unforgivingly of others with less knowledge , with the exception of those blessed with the patience of a teacher . Not everybody cares to be so true to prototype if that knowledge cost time and effort that they care not spend . Or in other words , everybody has their own boat to float . The less weight of exactness , the easier the boat floats for them . They are floating happily with the raft , but some of us need the QE2 . 

EDIT spelling
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:50:14 PM by up1950s »

asciibaron

• Crew
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »

The more we know , the more we think unforgivingly of others with less knowledge , with the exception of those blessed with the penitence of a teacher . Not everybody cares to be so true to prototype if that knowledge cost time and effort that they care not spend . Or in other words , everybody has their own boat to float . The less weight of exactness , the easier the boat floats for them . They are floating happily with the raft , but some of us need the QE2 . 

i think there is a difference between having a casual knowledge of trains vs. knowing the minute details.  even if you knew nothing about modern era trains, going to the store or looking on-line and buying a locomotive at least would give you some clues, like the box says EMD or GE or what not.  i'm not talking about the "daisy pickers" who setup a train once a year for under the tree, these are guys who have a dedicated room to trains.

-'67
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Black Diamond

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 02:58:51 PM »
What's QE2?  ;D

Sometimes it's nice just to run your model trains the way it seems to make sense in your head---that's it. A lot of people probably don't want to to turn it into a real research project because it means more "work" and less "play", or perhaps there just isn't time given family concerns, or maybe they don't care because they have a locomotive and some cars and a loop of track and they're happy?

Maybe the cost of prototype research books is too much for something that's so casual to a lot of folks? As good as net research is, it's no substitue for a book filled with color photos and history of the prototype--provided you like fallen flags.

How much prototype info is needed throw some track and ballast down and have a grand old time running trains? It just goes back to what one's objectives are.

I don't know what a GEVO looks like and I couldn't tell an AC4000 from a 6000 or whatever, but I like the way they look running around in circles after a long boring day and I'm not a "dasiy picker".

Well, I don't think I am. Where's the dictionary...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:01:38 PM by Black Diamond »

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »

The more we know , the more we think unforgivingly of others with less knowledge , with the exception of those blessed with the patience of a teacher . Not everybody cares to be so true to prototype if that knowledge cost time and effort that they care not spend . Or in other words , everybody has their own boat to float . The less weight of exactness , the easier the boat floats for them . They are floating happily with the raft , but some of us need the QE2 . 

i think there is a difference between having a casual knowledge of trains vs. knowing the minute details.  even if you knew nothing about modern era trains, going to the store or looking on-line and buying a locomotive at least would give you some clues, like the box says EMD or GE or what not.  i'm not talking about the "daisy pickers" who setup a train once a year for under the tree, these are guys who have a dedicated room to trains.

-'67

Maybe size in this case doesn't matter . Fat and happy . They want to have loads of trains , not so dissimilar to display layouts seen by them at places like Lancaster Pa , Trainz NJ , and department store at Christmas . Thats their happiness . The old large animated Lionel layouts , but now done in N scale . We shouldn't look down upon them , as they are having their own fun with their trains , and by doing so , spreading the money , and word to others . Not my kind of fun , but it is theirs .

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »
"What's QE2? "

The opposite of a raft .

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:06:19 PM by up1950s »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3436
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 03:06:56 PM »
I suspect there are quite a few shades of gray between the prototype modelers and the tinplate folks. I know I happen to land in a funky place where I research railroads just enough that my modeling isn't an embarrassment. I realize that EMD builds locomotives; I know how air brakes work; I understand the principals of signal systems. That said, I have even larger knowledge gaps, and I am certainly not "proud" of them; they are simply a result of not having the time to invest in more research. I'd like to know more; I actually have an interest in operations (but no desire to operate--go figure).

Where to draw the lines? I don't think it's possible; I believe it is a continuum. How to explain it? I don't think that's possible, either; we'd need to put each modeler on a couch to figure it all out.

It is all quite interesting, nonetheless.
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

Black Diamond

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »
What if the raft is correct for the prototype?  BTW, ;D <-- Means I'm joking. I know what the QE2 is, but thanks for the pic, it's a pretty imposing vessel.

The railroad doesn't have to be big to be good, and a big railroad can suck. Does it matter if you're happee?

I know I happen to land in a funky place where I research railroads just enough that my modeling isn't an embarrassment.
Hey, that's me too, but my stuff still sucks sometimes. LOL...

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:19:20 PM by Black Diamond »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 03:19:56 PM »
i have been coming across more and more people who are into model trains but no knowing about the prototype - and several are proud of that fact.  i don't quite understand what's going on here.

Sort of like the Anti-Christ, only the "Anti-Rivet Counter"?

"Ignorance is bliss is our motto" and by the way, if you don't think the way we do you got a problem!

I see this on a certain other forum me thinks from a few individuals.

nscalesteve

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 03:35:54 PM »
What's QE2?  ;D

QE2 is Mike Oldfields sixth new album...
...released in october 1980

nscalesteve

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »
i have been coming across more and more people who are into model trains but no knowing about the prototype...

...are these the same people which are using Kato Unitrak maybe... ?   ;)

(I,m using Kato Unitrak as well - on my testloop...)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »
i have been coming across more and more people who are into model trains but no knowing about the prototype...

...are these the same people which are using Kato Unitrak maybe... ?   ;)

(I,m using Kato Unitrak as well - on my testloop...)

Hi, my name is Mark, and I .... I use Kato Unitrak (but only on a test loop!)

(it's true, I do)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3436
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
What's QE2?  ;D

QE2 is Mike Oldfields sixth new album...
...released in october 1980

Yessss. Probably his last decent release. (I still like Hergest Ridge the best.)
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse