Author Topic: New tooling GP30 from Atlas.  (Read 13345 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: New tooling GP30 from Atlas.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
Hope the old shells fit on the new mechanism. Perhaps I'll put off working on this shell until I know.

yes they will, I bought a couple of DCC ready GP30 and GP35 on eBay and the old shells fit the new mechanism and vice versa...

...and yes, they are beautifully ugly !

It looks like a newly tooled shell... the last run was the old shell on a new mechanism.  If I recall, the GP-30 and 35 harken back to the original Atlas Kato run that was a bit plump in proportion.  If you compare an old GP-30 with an Atlas GP40 shell, you can see the 40 has better proportions and a more scale appearance.  This new 30 may be a slightly smaller shell.

We'll have to wait till we can get our mits on one before we know for sure.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:30:54 AM by Robbman »

nscalesteve

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 10:11:49 PM »
Hope the old shells fit on the new mechanism. Perhaps I'll put off working on this shell until I know.

yes they will, I bought a couple of DCC ready GP30 and GP35 on eBay and the old shells fit the new mechanism and vice versa...

...and yes, they are beautifully ugly !

It looks like a newly tooled shell... the last run was the old shell on a new mechanism.  If I recall, the GP-30 and 35 harken back to the original Atlas Kato run that was a bit plump in proportion.  If you compare an old GP-30 with an Atlas GP40 shell, you can see the 40 has better proportions and a more scale appearance.  This new 30 may be a slightly smaller shell.

We'll have to wait till we can get our mits on one before we know for sure.

Lee

the last run GP30 was already DCC ready - I don't think that Atlas did change the drive again just for the Phas1 shell...
...bingo bongo !!

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 11:34:23 PM »
The GP-30 is the quintessential locomotive of its day.  Too modern looking to be an F unit, and too old to be truly second generation.

you know not of what you speak...

David P. Morgan coined the phrase "2nd generation diesel' referring to "those diesels which could economically supplant the diesels which replaced steam."  the GP-30 clearly fits that bill.  the 3 way race in horsepower was first led by Alco with the un-turbocharged RS-27 with 2400hp and then the Century series in 1963, then GE's U25B sporting 2500hp and finally GM's GP-30 making only 2250hp.  funny how the GM looks like a mix of the Alco curves and the GE box.

the extended fairing from the cab to the dynamic brake blister, the squaring of the blister, and the curved cab roof (and doors), as well as the curving of the short nose seem to be stylistic updates to the decade old Geep series.  no more ugly than the earlier models.  what's interesting is there is no SD-30 (actually it was the SD-24 but was stylistically more like the eariler SD's).

-'67 laying it down
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 11:52:39 PM »

The first shot is re-posted from the Atlas site, showing the test shot from the new tooling.  The shot below it is an Atlas "Classic" GP 30.  It looks to me like the shell is indeed more finely proportioned compared to the A/K retread.  Whether the shells are interchangeable is in question.  The latest mechanism with the DCC board should fit the old shell with ease... If it's the same as the GP9 drive, I can check it out, because I have one of those laying around.  I can check it in the morning.

I dunno.  Look at the two images above, and draw your own conclusions.  I still think we won't know until they're here, or if Paul or Cory tells us over on the A board.  I don't think it's a slam dunk, rememeber, the retooled VO1000 doesn't fit the original drive or vice versa.

Lee

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 12:16:32 AM »
Finally... a correct GP30 for N&W fans to modify...

Good news: Announced before I bagan my N&W GP30  8)

Bad News: I need to get rid of my Atlas GP30.  :(

Or maybe I just wait for the shell.

nscalesteve

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 12:18:25 AM »
The latest mechanism with the DCC board should fit the old shell with ease... If it's the same as the GP9 drive, I can check it out, because I have one of those laying around.

if you don't trust me (read my two previous posts) please go ahead and double check it...   ;)

I dunno.  Look at the two images above, and draw your own conclusions.  I still think we won't know until they're here, or if Paul or Cory tells us over on the A board.  I don't think it's a slam dunk, rememeber, the retooled VO1000 doesn't fit the original drive or vice versa.

I see what you mean but if Atlas would have changed the whole shell (narrowing the whole thing...) they would have to change the sill/walkway/handrails as well. look on the picture with the new tooled Phase1 engine, it is still the old Kato design where the handrails and walkways are one piece. if they would have changed the sill/walkway/handrails don't you think they would have changed it to the new design were the sill and walkways are one piece and the handrails are separate ? (the new design is MUCH easier to paint...) just a thought...

nscalesteve

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 12:20:59 AM »
Bad News: I need to get rid of my Atlas GP30.  :(

Mark, if it's a DCC ready drive and the price is affordable I am interested...
(...and you don't have to send it oversea)  ;)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 12:22:53 AM »

A more representative comparison.

(Lee I think you're wrong).

My guess is it will have the same widebody all EMDS have when designed for Kato mechanisms.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:26:12 AM by NandW »

bsoplinger

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 12:35:51 AM »
If I didn't hate the search function so much over on the A board I'd check, but I thought someone in the know (Paul or Cory) said it was the earlier phase I shell that earned it the 'new tooling' description.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 02:42:33 AM »
  We will never see GP 30 B Units with and without Steam Generators as they were found only on Union Pacific."Waaaaaaaah!" No resin caster will ever tackel these too limited sales.                                      Nate Goodman (Nato).

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 04:13:32 AM »
Nate,
Harden up and go here and badger Mark  ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.mark4design.com/html/feedback_requested.html

(tongue in cheek)

cheers

Alister

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 05:40:44 AM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:30:45 AM by Robbman »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 09:04:14 AM »
Did anyone ever wonder if EMD built an SD-30 what it would look like!!!

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 09:13:44 AM »
Did anyone ever wonder if EMD built an SD-30 what it would look like!!!

here's what one might have looked like...

Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?