Author Topic: Okay, maybe the GP30 is growing on me. How do I...  (Read 3335 times)

sparky

Okay, maybe the GP30 is growing on me. How do I...
« on: September 01, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »
The Wisconsin Central had several ex-SOO GP30s numbered in the low 700s.  After a little research, it seems that all of the SOO's GP30s were built using "traded in" Alco trucks (FA?).  Was this a common practice?  It seems odd that EMD would build a locomotive and install another manufacturer's used trucks.  Knowing absolutely nothing about Alcos, what trucks could I swap onto a Atlas GP30 to make this?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Okay, maybe the GP30 is growing on me. How do I...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »
I would think you could rob them from a Life Like C-424
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
Atlas makes AAR trucks for their RS3's this would be your best bet...

The practice of using Trade in components is not all that uncommon, many railroads did it to save some money.

Milwaukee's GP30's were on Alco trucks, C&O had SD18's on Alco Tri-mounts, N&W had Alco Centuries on FM Trainmaster trucks...

For your WC GP30 don't forget to remove the dynamic brake vents & fan (the fan hole was covered with a circle of diamond plate), and don't forget the winterisation hatch & all weather window (Soo trademarks)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 11:23:49 AM by Ryan87 »
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »
Here's a site if you need a GP-30 fix:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?mid=31

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 12:12:12 PM »
Nothing special, just buy an Atlas GP30 with the alco trucks under it:

If they just did a non-dynamic brake shell we'd be all set.  I've never see diamond plate up on the roof as a dynamic brake fan cover plate... all photos I've seen it was flat steel plate.  Were there many that got diamond plate?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:14:11 PM by Skibbe »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 01:29:41 PM »
I think the sideframes are interchangeable on this truck - ie all you need is to order the AAR sideframe.

Confirm with Atlas.

Southern had a bunch of Gp35s running on traded in AAR B trucks, so it wasn't all that uncommon.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »
Cool- thanks for all the tips, guys!

nscalesteve

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 03:35:30 PM »
I would think you could rob them from a Life Like C-424
Lee

or simply order 2x #445305 AAR-B side frame from the spare parts dept. and replace them...

...GM&Os GP30 and GP35 were all on ALCo trucks

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 03:40:25 PM »
Atlas always has sideframes and complete trucks for the RS3.  I've ordered them several times.  Usually... the shipment is in my hands within 36 hours.    ;)  Gotta love that spare parts department.
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

bsoplinger

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 12:33:18 AM »
And when you go to the Atlas parts department, look up the SD-24/26 winterization hatch, those should do you fine for the ex SOO hatches.

Sunrise made a cast metal one with a brass wire mesh I prefer but those are practically impossible to find and all the other cast white metal hatches don't look as nice as the Atlas plastic hatch.

Sunrise also made a nice white metal and yellow plastic beacon that'd be just the thing to add. Don't have a good suggestion for a replacement for that one, perhaps one of the other board members can chime in with something. I do know Atlas offers a yellow plastic beacon that perhaps with a bit of paint would work ok, but I don't know what loco that's from.

sparky

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 01:23:23 AM »
And when you go to the Atlas parts department, look up the SD-24/26 winterization hatch, those should do you fine for the ex SOO hatches.

Sunrise made a cast metal one with a brass wire mesh I prefer but those are practically impossible to find and all the other cast white metal hatches don't look as nice as the Atlas plastic hatch.

Sunrise also made a nice white metal and yellow plastic beacon that'd be just the thing to add. Don't have a good suggestion for a replacement for that one, perhaps one of the other board members can chime in with something. I do know Atlas offers a yellow plastic beacon that perhaps with a bit of paint would work ok, but I don't know what loco that's from.

Funny you should mention the Sunrise parts- I actually have a few of each of the winterization hatches and beacons.  I'm saving those for my "special" project though- Wisconsin Southern GP9Us I'm making from LL GP18s.  ;) 

sparky

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 01:33:35 AM »
Sorry fellas, this is definitely prettier than anything I could make out of a GP30... (though I'll still probably do #701)  ;D

WSOR had a couple others that did have the winterization hatches installed, even though this one doesn't- and it's snowing!

RS-27

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 02:15:06 AM »

Sorry, the Atlas SD24/26 hatch is shorter and wider than a GP9/18 and won't fit properly. It is much prettier than the whitemetal GP9/19 hatches though.

The beacon is also a SD24/26 item, as is a beautiful stacked 5 chime horn (three forward bells and two reverse).  There is also a nose mounted bell and bracket, even has a clapper.

Bob in IDaho

bsoplinger

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 03:21:50 AM »

Sorry, the Atlas SD24/26 hatch is shorter and wider than a GP9/18 and won't fit properly. It is much prettier than the whitemetal GP9/19 hatches though.

I didn't realize that the hatch was so much smaller, but I guess that would make sense as the SD24 had the 36" fans not the 48" ones.

Glad to see you could point to where the beacons came from though.

I didn't mention the horns as the SOO photo in this thread showed a three chime horn. But you are right they are nice looking 5 chime, 3 forward 2 reverse horn. And the nose bells look nice although I only saw the one on a Southern before I stripped it ;)